Possible Kaleidoscope detail?

FuzzyOcelot

Terrarian
So most of the Empresses drops are based on one of her attacks, and while a lot of them fit in with specific attacks pretty obviously, the Kaleidoscope doesn't seem to really fit any one attack. The wiki even flat out says that its just based on her dash because "it is the only one of her attacks that doesn't have another weapon based on it". But I think that it's actually one of the rainbow swords she summons during her various attacks, mostly because it has a cross-guard and pommel, meaning the whip part itself would be a broken sword blade. It would also line up with how a non-damaged sword, that being Terraprisma, is a summon weapon.
I noticed this a while back when I did my summoner playthrough after 1.4.1 dropped, but I can't find anyone talking about this anywhere else. Anyone think I'm on to something or am I just crazy?

I mean, Plantera drops these weapons... & this was 1.3.5. 😬🥤
  • Grenade Launcher, uh... why?
  • Venus Magnum?
  • Wasp Gun, I guess!?
  • The Axe, umm... what?
  • Pygmy Staff...??
It's cool to think about the game on a deeper level, if you give to Terraria in a manner like that, it's sure to give back 100 times over, but try not to reach too much. If you go down the path of trying to fit everything in a neat lil' package, you'll start to be disappointed, for no legitimate reason. Keep in mind, as fun & creative as this game can be, there's a ton of contradictions that could never, possibly be explained away rationally.

This game has a.) magic weapons & items, b.) advanced technology, c.) demons, d.) giant insects, e.) autonomous constructs & f.) aliens, all in the same universe. There's no way that ever makes sense, in any universe, ever. Sometimes it's ok to give fiction the liberty to be fiction...

Grenade Launcher, uh... why?
Yeah, no excuse here.
Venus Magnum?
Possibly a reference to Venus Flytraps?
Wasp Gun, I guess!?
Bees and Hornets are jungle related, why can't wasps be?
The Axe, umm... what?
Plantera is a reference to Cenx's favorite band, a metal band named Pantera. The Axe is both a reference to that reference as well as Plantera's theme being metal.
Pygmy Staff...??
Not as excusable as others, but still semi-jungle related.

I mean, Plantera drops these weapons... & this was 1.3.5. 😬🥤
  • Grenade Launcher, uh... why?
  • Venus Magnum?
  • Wasp Gun, I guess!?
  • The Axe, umm... what?
  • Pygmy Staff...??
It's cool to think about the game on a deeper level, if you give to Terraria in a manner like that, it's sure to give back 100 times over, but try not to reach too much. If you go down the path of trying to fit everything in a neat lil' package, you'll start to be disappointed, for no legitimate reason. Keep in mind, as fun & creative as this game can be, there's a ton of contradictions that could never, possibly be explained away rationally.

This game has a.) magic weapons & items, b.) advanced technology, c.) demons, d.) giant insects, e.) autonomous constructs & f.) aliens, all in the same universe. There's no way that ever makes sense, in any universe, ever. Sometimes it's ok to give fiction the liberty to be fiction...
Sorry for late response, didn't notice the reply lol. I agree with you that other bosses drops don't and aren't supposed to make any kind of sense, but the Empress weapons are explicitly based on some of her attacks. Compare the projectile of the Nightglow (multiple small bolts fly up and then home in on enemies) to her Prismatic Bolt attack (multiple bolts which fly up and then home in on the player). I think its worth looking at her drops more, especially if the wiki is going to flat out say a whip is based on her dash attack for some reason.

Sorry for late response, didn't notice the reply lol. I agree with you that other bosses drops don't and aren't supposed to make any kind of sense, but the Empress weapons are explicitly based on some of her attacks. Compare the projectile of the Nightglow (multiple small bolts fly up and then home in on enemies) to her Prismatic Bolt attack (multiple bolts which fly up and then home in on the player). I think its worth looking at her drops more, especially if the wiki is going to flat out say a whip is based on her dash attack for some reason.

I mean, not everything the wiki says is fact. Until like earlier this morning I always thought Orchialcum hit once per second thanks to the wiki, and that was recently proven wrong.

Every other empress weapon does correspond with an attack, that much is obvious, but I don’t see a single attack that matches the Kaleidoscope, and saying it has to be dash because that’s the only one not represented seems to be a half-assed excuse to fill the gap.

Back
Top Bottom