tAPI Post-Hardmode-Jungle-Mod[WIP]

GrtAndPwrflTrtl

Terrarian
I had been working on a hardmode expansion for jungle when I heard an official one was coming out, and that tconfig was no longer being updated. Now that the expansion is out and TAPI seems mostly finished, I'm looking to convert over my code. A lot of stuff I wanted to include has already been included in the official expansion(s), so a bunch of stuff is redundant now. But a fair amount of stuff is still usable, so I was thinking maybe just add another tier to jungle above the current one; maybe after killing Plantera. I'll start putting stuff up here as it's sucessfully converted to TAPI.

I'd like some people to test fight my creatures in whatever is considered standard post Plantera gear so I can debug/tweak their behavior. They're balanced against other hardmode creatures (to be stronger since the jungle is naturally harder than surface or regular underground). But I fear they may be too weak for post plantera gear. I'd like to know if another creature has been added that already does the same thing, since I haven't played the expansion. And I'd like to know if there's new weapons that can beat them easily; I don't want one strategy to work on everything. In other words at least a few of my NPCs should be immune/resistant to piranha gun for example.

I don't wanna draw or mod loot, so if anyone could put me in contact with a spriter or donate some "jungley" loot from your mods it would be nice. And advice on which of the existing loot already exists since expansion, or is too weak for post plantera. I'm not looking to make stronger loot than what exists; just balanced with the stuff from hard mode dungeon basically.

Feel free to use part or all of the new buffs/creatures/etc in any way you want; unless it's credited to someone else I suppose. Should say that in the readme.

readme:

Buffs:
Coffein - causes hyperawareness and delerium; also increases speed and magical power
sprite/concept from 'Furniture by Eikester'

Curse of Delerium: random periodic confusion
purpose: longer term debuff to challenge players. Possible jungley enviornmental effect.
sprite by gamigeek(WackyWocky)

Curse of Doom: kill recipient if they don't kill the caster in time
purpose: prevent players with wings to just fly over dangerous areas; forces them to engage. maybe good

for bosses to cast also

Deadly Poison: progressivly worse effects over time and from multiple doses, after more time effects

progressively fade
purpose: counteract healing items, player can mix a poison cure out of jungle items, but vanilla poison

not worth curing. This is.

Entangled: briefly stunned, and cannot fly for some time
purpose: prevent players with wings to just fly over dangerous enemies

~Grounded: cannot fly, glide, slowfall, gravity control, or prevent fall dmg
purpose: prevent players with wings to just fly over dangerous enemies: high end enemies can use to

kill/deny fliers, or prevent flying to make them require more skill to fight/dodge
also uses: Global/Player.cs
future: fix

~Hypothermia: slowed, cannot fly, cannot use items. This + "On Fire!" will cancel each other out. Only take

1 dmg from magic+fire projectiles while Hypothermia
purpose: special attack for bosses or high end enemies
sprite by J-50N
~also uses: Projectile/Projectile.cs

Lingering Poison: lose life more slowly than regular poison
purpose: intended to last almost indefinaely until cured. player can mix a poison cure out of jungle

items, but vanilla poison not worth curing. This is. Also gives nurse NPC a reason to exist.
future: check for poison immunity and fail if immune

NPC_Heal: used by npcs to heal themselves
purpose: a work around to allow npcs to gain life when player is hit for example

Scent of Blood: debuff, like battle potion but you can't willingly turn it off
purpose: make already crowded jungle even harder

-----------------------------------------------
Items:

*~Aether Plasm - dropped by Aether Wraith
sprite by J-50N
future: resprite, possibly from edited ectoplasm, make translucent

*Cat Tooth - dropped by Black Panther

Deadly Gel - dropped by Mini Deadly Slime

Deadly Stinger - dropped by Deadly Wasp
sprite by J-50N

NPCs:

*Aether Wraith: An incorporeal feind with an aura of pure terror. A creature of mist, and air.
description: curse of delerium to everything in the area, cannot be hit unless it materializes to attack

(in melee), touch causes 'Hypothermia' for several seconds making it very hard to avoid susequent attacks
purpose: reqires meelee, add nightime undead
future: sprite, banner, gore(smoke), cool aether mist trail, switch to some flying AI if falls off a sky

island, might be cool if he darkened nearby tiles, avoids lit+indoor areas?

*Black Panther: Deadly and elusive nocturnal predator
description: invisible in darkness when stalking, bonus damage when pouncing, can jump and jump off trees

when chasing, can flee and re-hide if pressed
purpose: high speed and offense ambusher; stealth enemy seemed cool; fill out nocturnal roster
future: GetSyncedRand for flee, flee from stalking, reset borerdom on DealtPlayer, reflection to fix

SelectFrame, sprite, banner, gore, sounds(esp. pouncing), tweak size(and therefore jump code) and hitbox

*Conjured Spirit: A ghostly spirit conjured by Goblin Witch Doctor to hunt and kill his enemies
description: follows player through walls, touch causes curse and cursed inferno. relatively low damage

but inferno bypasses armor
purpose: give immobile witch doctor and attack that can hit at range and hit fliers
future: despawn if they come near an artificial light or friendly NPC? dont want them killing players in

their houses; actually, wd should not cast them till he's cursed someone; that will solve if he also avoids

tping into houses

*Deadly Hornet: A hardmode clone of hornet that stinger causes Deadly Poison
purpose: make it dangerous to go into undergrond jungle without a poison cure, regular hornets are

harmless by hardmode on acct of heals
future: verify ai against basic hornet ai

Deadly Slime: A jungle Slime that carries a particularly nasty neurotoxin.
description: touch causes deadly poison, splits into smaller slimes on death.

Mini Deadly Slime: what you get when you chop up a deadly slime

Projectiles:

Poison Stinger: like stinger but adds Deadly Poison for 2 min

~needs fixing
*needs spriter

(all)future: tune spawn rates/conditions, convert sky islands above jungle to jungle, maybe add confusion

AIs, add drops that can be crafted into new items, soundHit, soundKilled, gore, sounds for [Buffs(esp.

CoD), NPCs, Projectiles], have a worn item or a monster that converts existing nearby jungle roses and

jungle spores into hardmode reagents if a player is not on screen.
quick caribe drop and deco, gun holder jungle blunderbus, banners, NPC: Trading Post Pete, fluff itrms with

onuse sounds / effects

Sky: day:[Jungle Beaker - Trio, Floating Sporeball] , night:[Vampire Bat, Aether Wraith]
Day: Goblin Witch Doctor, Primeval Skunk, Deadly Slime, Goblin Hunter, Quick Caribe, Jungle

Beaker - Trio
Night: Goblin Witch Doctor, Primeval Skunk, Black Panther, Vampire Bat, Aether Wraith, Poison

Zombie, + Goblin Shadowblade
Dirt: Primeval Skunk, Deadly Slime, Vampire Bat, Deadly Hornet(rare), + Goblin shadowblade(rare),

Kamikaze Toad, Shambling Vegetable(rare)
Rock: Deadly Slime, Vampire Bat, Rock Golem, Deadly Hornet, + Goblin shadowblade, Shambling

Vegetable, Tunnel Horror(rare)
Lava: Deadly Slime(rare), Vampire Bat, Rock Golem, Deadly Hornet, + Goblin shadowblade(rare),

Shambling Vegetable, Tunnel Horror, Fire elemental

I want to provide new enemies/challenges for the Jungle biome only, and of course give them appropriate drops to make players feel rewarded for defeating them. By adding an extra tier and sticking to one biome, I hope to make a mod that doesn't change the existing gameplay experience, but only adds to it, and has universal appeal.

Issues / Stuff I could use help with:
Curse of Doom:
- Needs some sound effects, when applied and maybe when about to go off
Grounded:
- Doesn't work right, fall dmg etc gets re enabled after I disable it see here
Aether Plasm:
- needs resprite, possibly from edited ectoplasm
Cat Tooth:
- Needs sprite
Aether Wraith:
- Needs sprite
- Needs banner
- Needs particles code -> cool aether mist trail, puff of smoke on death
Black Panther:
- Need example of how to use GetSyncedRand for flee behavior, see here
- Need example of how to use reflection to fix SelectFrame, details here
- Needs sprite
- Needs banner
- looking for design opinions on flee behavior, see here
- Needs Gore
- Needs a tiger sound for when it pounces, soundhit/soundkilled may be nice too, or at least advice on which to use
Conjured Spirit:
- Needs sprite, probably edited dungeon spirit
- Needs banner
Deadly Hornet:
- Needs sprite, thinking like one of those green hornets; with cycling pixels on body for sparkly/shiny effect
- Needs banner
- Needs Gore
Deadly Slime
- Needs banner

At minimum, read creature description before doing a sprite of it. Might want to contact me if you want some more detailed direction, I have some ideas for each.

Attachments

• PostHardModeJungle.zip
    282.7 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Hrm, hurt my wrists; typing limited. panther coming along, mostly how i want it. Wondering how i should handle the criterion for flee and re hide: either flat 20% chance each time hit; to make it flee barrages of bullets, or flee once at 50% health and not flee again if it comes back and attacks again? Also wether/when to flee when hit in stealthed; how to decide if its just random fire or if it's been spotted and should charge/flee.

Opinions / suggestions?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom