Other Post-Moon Lord Boss

AwesomeDr111

Terrarian
-The bones of the Moon Lord seep deep into hell.

Don't get me wrong. Moon Lord is an AMAZING boss and really fun to fight. But i feel like with Moon Lord as the final boss, the game ends a little anticlimactically. I mean you kill him, he explodes, then what?
I've come up with a bunch of ideas related around the underworld and I hope you like them!
You could probably already tell from the top that this will have something to do with the Moon Lord's skeleton. If you guessed that you would be right. I was thinking of calling him "Terrarian Essence". When he is summoned, the soul of the world's soul possess the Moon Lord's skeleton. I put a lot of thought into this, so let's get started.

==========[ THE ASYLUM ]==========

-There will be a structure that spawns in the Underworld called the Asylum of the Dead. But it the player cannot go into it until post WoF due to there being a locked door much like the Lihzahrd Temple. It is made of a substance that will be called "Corestone Brick" (a layer of regular corestone can be found at the bottom of the world) which can only be broken with a picksaw ore higher tier. The structure will have two doors. one in front and one in back. The key is only obtainable from a drop.
Asylum Key.png

-The key will be a 1/3 drop chance from an enemy an Asylum Guard. You would be able to find them on the outer thirds of the underworld. To make the spawns balanced so they aren't insanely hard to find but they don't spawn so much that your inventory is loaded with keys, they will only spawn in hardmode and will have the same spawnrate as a Voodoo Demon.
Assylem Guard.png

-Once you're in, there will be loot chests, furniture, enemies, etc. The structure will be generated like the dungeon and Lihzahrd Temple.

-The Player could explore the Asylum to their heart's content. But there would be one area blocked by a locked trap door in the bottom floor made of indestructible blocks that the player could not get into until after Moon Lord.

Let's skip ahead to when the Moon Lord is fading out of existence. A message will display saying, "The bones of the Moon Lord seep deep into hell." You can obtain a key that is a 100% drop called the "World Key" along with his other normal loot. The key is used to open the trap door in the Asylum.

========[ THE LOWER LEVEL ] ========
-Once the trap door is opened, you will be granted access to the lower level of the Asylum.

-The lower level will be made up of "Hardened Corestone Brick" (as opposed to regular "Hardoned Corestone", but i don't know what to do with that.) and can only be broken with a pickaxe that is unobtainable except with inventory editors.

-It will generate in it's own tile set but not as big as the actual top layer.

-Down in the lower level there are the broken pieces of the Moon Lord's skeleton, and a Volcanic Altar.

-If you use (an item I have not decided on yet) on the altar, another message displays saying "The world rumbles all around you." and all enemies around you die.

-Break the Moon Lord's bones with a pickaxe, craft a "Bone Rack", craft the "Moon Lord's Skeleton" at the Volcanic Altar, and place the Bone Rack anywhere in the underworld.

-After that happens, the fight begins.

==========[ THE FIGHT ]==========
Basic Sketch: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img910/4559/L35SYO.jpg

-In the beginning, when the Moon Lord's Skeleton is placed in the underworld, an orb of fire comes out of the bottom of the screen and goes into the hole in the chest where his heart used to be. Then an orange glow appears around the skeleton and it floats downward and off the screen.

-(It is recommended that you have sort or a very wide helevator for this next part.) Next lava will start rising upward all the way until you reach the surface ,while along the way shooting fireballs and trying to grab you with it's hands. Then it will all erupt and splash upward and do 300 hp of damage regardless of the player's defense but the eruption is unable to go through blocks of a stone-like quality. If the player survives the splash, Terrarian Essence emerges out of the lava, and the fight begins.

Example of what I'm thinking:New Piskel.gif (See how the lava is splashed upward but doesn't splash past the platform? Doing this can prevent the player from being harmed.) After that, any open space below the surface will become lava, so make sure all players are above ground.

-His base attacks are just Moon Lord attacks but re-textured to be fire-based, but he also has some unique attacks that I will describe.

-His first attack is "Meteors". What he does, is he shoots lasers out of his horns into the sky, raises his hands, and meteors start raining down all over the world for 15 seconds (Expert mode: 30 seconds). Meteors can go through all blocks but they are dodge-able.

-The boss' second attack is "Lava Rain". He does the same animation as he does to summon the meteors, but this time lava rain comes down for a duration of 15 seconds doing 2 damage per second (Expert mode: 3 damage) regardless of the player's defense. This however, is not dodge-able.

-Third attack: "Lava Tornadoes"! Terrarian Essence spreads his hands apart and 4 lava tornadoes spawn. The lava tornadoes stay until they die. They have a core and you can kill a tornado by attacking its core. When Terrarian Essence spawns more, the existing ones will die and 4 new ones will spawn.

-Attack #4: The two hands come to either side of the player that has dealt the most damage to the monoliths (we will get to the monoliths in a bit) and let out two swirling fire vortexes.

-5th Attack: The body follows the person with the most defense. The head shoots three lasers from the horns into a concentrated point, then another swirling fire vortex comes out of the point, this time bigger and more range.

-If all players die during the fight, a message will appear saying "You are not ready."

==========[ HOW TO DEFEAT ]==========

-When the fight starts, all the body parts are invulnerable to any types of attacks.

-His body parts are protected by "Monoliths" in different parts of the world. Left hand's monolith is at the left ocean, right hand's is at the right ocean, and the head's is at the very top of the world in the center.

-Once a monolith is destroyed, the boss' respected body part can be destroyed as well. (When the hands die, the vanish but when the head dies, the horns just shatter.

-When all three body parts are destroyed (horns and both hands) the energy field around the "soul" in the chest goes away and is vulnerable to attacks.

-The soul alternates colors between pink, green, and yellow every 10 second and depending on what color the soul is, it can only be killed by a certain type of attack. (Yellow=Melee, Green=Ranged, Pink=Magic)

-When the soul dies, Terrarian Essence explodes and a glowing white portal appears. If you jump in the portal, some messages will pop up on the screen saying:
"It is done" "You have proven to me that you are strong" "It is now self-evident that you are worthy of the Otherworld" "Be strong, Terrarian!"

=========[OPTIONAL MECHANIC TO ADD]=========

-When the fight begins and the 3 Mechanical Bosses are alive, they will form around the Terrarian Essence giving it mechanical armor thereby:

-Boosting its defense by 50%

-Giving it improved techniques:
-all attacks do twice as much damage as long as the right hand armor piece is alive.
-all attacks inflict cursed flames as long as left hand armor piece is allive.

Sketch: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img908/7204/lH7Uc6.jpg

-Each piece of the armor has its own HP bar (Ex: Chest plate, hands, helmet) When a piece of armor is destroyed, the body part it was guarding still lives.

-You do not have to destroy the monoliths to destroy the armor.

-The monoliths cannot be destroyed as long as there is mechanical armor.

-When all armor pieces are destroyed (Helmet, and both hand pieces) the gem in his chest will have a crack through it. That is when it can be attacked.

-The gem regenerates 20 hp per second.

-When the gem is destroyed, all the mechanical armor shatters and you are left with the original boss fight.
:pumpking:2spooky4me:pumpking:

*I will work on this more in time*

But I truly believe that this boss will make a great final boss and will create a satisfying transfer to Terraria Otherworld!

Suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:
I feel that would be a poetic way to end Terraria. In the beginning, even before hard mode there was the underworld, which served as the hardest area in the game. Then the gatekeeper of hard mode was added, the Wall of Flesh. The Wall of Flesh became the final obstacle to a new world of game play, Hard mode. Since then the underworld has seen a decline, becoming arguably less dangerous than the surface. The few new enemies added are barely dangerous, leaving the underworld a relic of normal mode.

As things stand the underworld acts like the narrow area of an hourglass. The player digs downward in search for new adventure, upon reaching the underworld they defeat "...The master and core of the world..." They then begin their quest back to the surface on the opposite side of this world. This new world provides challenges and adventures, but with the moon lord's defeat the player has finished their adventure. Or have they?

The player returns once again to the underworld, only this time to be greeted by their toughest foe, now possessed by the gatekeeper "The master of the world" The fusion of the moon lord's bones and the wall's flesh create the toughest boss in the game, The Terrarian Essence, set in the battlefield that brought you here. After a tough fight, the player is victorious, the gate has been reopened. The player passes through the gate returning home, bringing an end to their adventure.... or simply beginning it anew.

Dramatasim aside, I don't actually mean to imply that you would return to normal mode, that is for poetisim. Players would remain in hard mode. Still a final boss in the underworld seems right for a fulfilling ending to the game. I think it brings everything full circle both developmentally and lore wise. (for what lore there is) Also, I personally feel that because this, in theory, is the last boss it should limit drops to cosmetic and fun items, not introduce a new tier of equipment. (Truly signifying an end not opening new doors) But, that's just me. But, BUT... if this boss is created (and I personally really hope it is.) I don't want to see buffs added or nerfs to existing equipment to make it "seem" more menacing. This challenge deserves to let players decide how they want to bring a close to their adventure, be that traps, a particular weapon set or use of the environment. Anything less would weaken the meaning this boss has. (That's partially why I agree Moon Lord isn't a fitting ending)

The Asylum of the Dead sounds like fun and would fit rather well. What I suggest is, the Asylum Guard only appears after Moon Lord's defeat. Having awoken in order to revive the Wall of Flesh with the Moon Lord's power. Inside the Asylum of the Dead the player accidently (or intentionally) completes that very ritual, which awakens the Terrarian Essence. (Probably through a pop item of some kind, found on enemies inside.)

Inside the Asylum of the Dead the player accidently (or intentionally) completes that very ritual, which awakens the Terrarian Essence. (Probably through a pop item of some kind, found on enemies inside.)
I was thinking you could go into the Asylum after WoF but there is an Area that the player cannot go into until he/she defeats Moon Lord.
I was also thinking about an easter egg where if you spawn the mech. bosses while Terrarian Essence is alive, they could form around him creating armor for him. Just a fun little challenge for hardcore gammers.

What would be his drops? Could it be like a hellbent sword/spell/gun/summon/etc.? And do you get better drops from it with its armor?

I understand the progression in terms of end game content and bosses but is a new boss really needed, especially since 1.3 is still relatively a new release. Do not get me wrong the idea is great but I just feel is not really needed, yet at least. Some people say the lord is too easy, too hard, a let down, too cheese I mean where do you draw the line. I think if anything the focus should just be with the current content.

Ah my wording... complicated, if it makes no sense dont worry xD Im not good at putting my thoughts in to words.

Personally the reason I wanted one last boss (Preferably without combat drops) is because the Moon Lord didn't really feel like the end. I know Red said he was done after 1.3 and I find it highly unlikely the remaining team will be working on progression, meaning Moon Lord was almost certainly intended for last. This leaves us with a split end. The developers treat Moon Lord as the end but, it doesn't act like it. For the record Hard =/= Final, there is more to it than that. Finally, the reason it is important to suggest this now is Red is likely working on other projects and it likely requires his approval to change the finale of his vision. Need to say something now before he is too far from Terraria as a project.

What would be his drops? Could it be like a hellbent sword/spell/gun/summon/etc.? And do you get better drops from it with its armor?
I don't think he needs weapon or armor drops considering Terrarian Essence is meant to be the final FINAL boss.
[DOUBLEPOST=1442266537,1442266393][/DOUBLEPOST]
Personally the reason I wanted one last boss (Preferably without combat drops) is because the Moon Lord didn't really feel like the end. I know Red said he was done after 1.3 and I find it highly unlikely the remaining team will be working on progression, meaning Moon Lord was almost certainly intended for last. This leaves us with a split end. The developers treat Moon Lord as the end but, it doesn't act like it. For the record Hard =/= Final, there is more to it than that. Finally, the reason it is important to suggest this now is Red is likely working on other projects and it likely requires his approval to change the finale of his vision. Need to say something now before he is too far from Terraria as a project.
Believe me, I HOPE this suggestion gets the developers' attention. That's why I'm trying to make it as content packed and original as possible.

This is amazing and support it, except it might be a bit too hard. Believe me when i say this extremely creative, but just to make it easier try to move the monoliths a little closer to the center, Because I.m pretty sure you'd die if you had to travel 2 time your world length just to harm it. Other than the difficulty it would be fun to see this added to the game and invite my friends try to beat it.

This is AWESOME but I cannot agree with the moon lord not feeling like the final boss because I have never fought him because I play Xbox but still definitely looks like an AMAZING finale to terraria :)

This is actually quite amazing. Me only question is; what would this boss drop? An all powerful sword? God armor? I could only imagine. I really hope this gets made into a mod, or even better; Vanilla Terraria. You should definitely promote this idea. I really like it.
[doublepost=1531501891,1531501869][/doublepost]I mean my not me

I have a feeling that Terraria needs a final boss but I think this is to hard to defeat as just to deal one damage you have to travel the whole length of your world twice and travel to the top. That is just to much. Also you said that the attacks would be just the Moon Lord's attacks resprited Omega Derpling post on my suggestion about bringing back Ocram that most of his attacks are from the EoC (and other ones) even though I made some new attacks and that did open my eyes a bit so I'm doing the same for you.

I actually like the idea of the asylum, just not the boss itself. It would be cool to have a final area with enemies balanced around nebula armor's overpoweredness.

Reactions: Bry
Back
Top Bottom