NPCs & Enemies Potion Master NPC

Is the Potion Master NPC a good idea?

• Yes, I would like this NPC added.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, this NPC would make potions too easy to make.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Yes, but I would rather it be part of the Witch Doctor's wares.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Snappy_Guardian

Skeletron Prime
Potions are sometimes hard to come by due to the rarities of some ingredients. A solution to this could be a Potion Master NPC, someone who sells potions and/or potion ingredients. The prerequisite for it to move in could be 5 different potions found and/or used, and this could be easily achieved. The items that it would sell would either be potions and/or potion ingredients, but to have the NPC sell them, the player would have had to gather X number of ingredients to unlock the ingredient, or craft/use a potion X times to unlock it within the shop. Along with potions/potion ingredients, this NPC could sell potion themed armor, possibly increasing potion time. This NPC could also introduce new potion ingredients as exclusive to its shop. While the Potion Master NPC could be incorporated into the Witch Doctor, due to its similarities, it could also be a new NPC who would provide the player with increased ease when it comes to potion making.

Its just an idea, the entire point of having to get that ingredient x amount of times before having the option to buy it is to make the player go out of their way. And there could definitely be limits on what you can buy, maybe a system similar to the Clothier's as to make it harder to buy.

There are 3 things which make up Terraria:
combat (against bosses), mining and farming (bosses, enemies, gardening and fishing).
You can farm crafting materials from monster (90% for doing potions), and gardening (95% for potions), and fishing (also 95% for potions).
doing this will cut farming in a half so, no support.

Why no have one with rotating stocks. It could sell one potion and one ingredients, refreshing every full moon. No rare potions though.

Why no have one with rotating stocks. It could sell one potion and one ingredients, refreshing every full moon. No rare potions though.
Ok so by rare do you mean lifeforce, inferno, that kind of thing? I suppose that's fine.

I think flasks should only be sold,and they should have special needs to unlock them (for example the golden flask needs the player to have atleast 5 platinum,the party one requires the player to have a party girl,etc) and they should be pricy

I think flasks should only be sold,and they should have special needs to unlock them (for example the golden flask needs the player to have atleast 5 platinum,the party one requires the player to have a party girl,etc) and they should be pricy
That kind of excludes everyone except melee from a lot of his selling pool though...

Ok,what about only justs common potions like iron skin,swiftness,etc
I don't understand why people sort potions into different categories. What constitutes a potion as common? Just because it can be found in pots/chests doesn't mean it's common in particular. Only Lifeforce and Inferno Potions can be considered uncommon anyway.

I made this:
Quotes:
"Drink this potion kid, it'll give you superpowers."
"Mmm, this potion makes me feel good"
"You want to buy something? Oh sorry, I was thinking of a faraway land."
"I hope (Witch Doctor's Name) doesn't steal my business with all his flask riffraff."
Is unlocked by having at least 5 different potions in your inventory
Sells 4 randomly from this potion pool Pre Hardmode all 15 silver
Lesser Healing and Lesser Mana Potions
Ironskin, Regeneration, Recall, Swiftness, Gills, Featherfall, Builder, and Archery Potions
Once Hardmode drops he sells regular Healing and Mana Potions, then after Plantera, Greater Healing & Mana Potions
Bottles
Sells two random herbs everyday (Daybloom & Blinkroot cost 1 silver, Moonglow and Waterleaf 3 silver, Shiverthorn 4 silver, and Deathweed & Fireblossom 5 silver)
I can't think of anything else at this point for him to sell

Last edited:
I think if the NPC only sold common potions after certain criteria has been met then it'll be fine, otherwise as already stated it'll make getting rare potions too easy.

Oh god... Not this thing again.

Having a potion npc is like having the angler sell everything you can catch. It nullifies a part of the game that has unique rewards just because some people don't want to go literally anywhere out of their way. Can't support this.
Said it best ^

Terraria is even nice enough to include this thing here ->
1576088330954.png
Staff of Regrowth, it is found in the Jungle and increases the amount of herbs you get
per plant you break with it. There's also this really helpful thing here ->
1576088421490.png
Alchemy Table, which is found in the Dungeon, that has a chance to not use potion
materials while crafting with it.

There's also these things here
1576088510268.png
Planter Boxes, they are unlocked by the Dryad after killing specific bosses, they make farming even easier by not accidentally destroying crops
whilst swinging your Staff of Regrowth.
--------------------------------------------------

My point: Farming these herbs and using them in potions is already easy enough, 10 minutes and you'll have set up a herb farm to make unlimited potions without a need to buy them.
As Omega Derpling said, it's just like if the Angler sold fish, it defeats the purpose of doing anything yourself.

Also as seen here, all pots have the same chance to drop potions, there is no rarity involved, just the amount of space in each section of depth that makes things feel rarer:
Ehhem.png

Back
Top Bottom