Member-Run Project ppower indies

I'm not sure what the rules on the forums are with thirth party programs on someone's else game.
But it does violate me to see this actually happening to my own game.

Ah well, I've made the game balance like this so it's enjoyable like it is now,
but I've also have changed several of variables during testing just for fun, and to see a massive amount of bullet spam happening.

whether it's legal or not, it's up to you if you want to use it.
yeah i made it because i wanted to see the extra spaceship at 2000 points

yeah i made it because i wanted to see the extra spaceship at 2000 points
Oh lol, that was unexpecting :p

Anyways, I would rather prefer just playing it on my own, because it's feeling more statisfying to be really rewarded for playing well.
even though it can be tempting to try it out right away. (I had that experience during 1.3 too)

So, latest big update sure is great. It just adds more and that can never be complained about. Playing with two ships at once sure is fancy, although kind of confusing but that's to be expected.

I like what has been done with the update. Power ups are amazing, although I do have some gripes with them, and it might as well be my personal opinion as games which used true RNG in their power ups are rather known, but in this case I feel a bad dice roll can really just doom you to a low score.

Getting huge amounts of healing when you're at max HP is a thing and can pass, but having the bad luck of getting not even a single fire-rate drop for an entire run (which are pretty much vital for higher scores, especially the 2000 score mark) can be rather frustrating. I've also had instances of hyper modes dropping right after each others and you can't get a new one while an existing hyper mode is in progress, and waste is kind of painful considering how powerful the power up is. I would personally go for a pseudo-RNG system which drops a power up after X amounts of ships are destroyer rather than an entirely random system (or maybe the system is not as random as I feel, which might as well be the case).
For instance, when I was finally able to beat the 2000 mark, I felt more lucky than anything as I maxed fire-rate early on and basically got tons of bomb drops.
3e206ac004.png

(for instance, the ridiculous difference between my score and the previous top)

As far as power ups themselves go, they're all great, useful and definitely spice up gameplay quite a bit.

I also don't quite like how power ups on screen are destroyed when a bomb is used since some are more vital than others, I've had instances of me bombing a fire-rate power up before even noticing it was on screen but that can be completely blamed on me, however it makes it painful to manage bombs as you'll have to make sure you have 2 bombs at all times for maximum efficiency or your drops will go wasted. Also I wish fire-rate power up had any effect even when fire-rate is already maxed, even just temporary.

Either way, that's it. Everything else is great, and really do love to see how far you've pushed to project. Maul is love.

I get as far as selecting a ship and hitting space on Start, then it crashes for me. :(

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: space siblings.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.3.0
Problem Signature 03: 57711c3f
Problem Signature 04: Microsoft.Xna.Framework
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30901.0
Problem Signature 06: 4e60120e
Problem Signature 07: 516
Problem Signature 08: 51
Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

So, latest big update sure is great. It just adds more and that can never be complained about. Playing with two ships at once sure is fancy, although kind of confusing but that's to be expected.

I like what has been done with the update. Power ups are amazing, although I do have some gripes with them, and it might as well be my personal opinion as games which used true RNG in their power ups are rather known, but in this case I feel a bad dice roll can really just doom you to a low score.

Getting huge amounts of healing when you're at max HP is a thing and can pass, but having the bad luck of getting not even a single fire-rate drop for an entire run (which are pretty much vital for higher scores, especially the 2000 score mark) can be rather frustrating. I've also had instances of hyper modes dropping right after each others and you can't get a new one while an existing hyper mode is in progress, and waste is kind of painful considering how powerful the power up is. I would personally go for a pseudo-RNG system which drops a power up after X amounts of ships are destroyer rather than an entirely random system (or maybe the system is not as random as I feel, which might as well be the case).
For instance, when I was finally able to beat the 2000 mark, I felt more lucky than anything as I maxed fire-rate early on and basically got tons of bomb drops.
3e206ac004.png

(for instance, the ridiculous difference between my score and the previous top)
I was indeed thinking for a while to give it a counter, that if it has passed a certain number of destroying enemies without anything dropped, that an item will drop.
Said counter will also reset if an item has dropped by RNG changes, so this will prevent having some true bad luck. I'll look for it to implement that.
I also don't quite like how power ups on screen are destroyed when a bomb is used since some are more vital than others, I've had instances of me bombing a fire-rate power up before even noticing it was on screen but that can be completely blamed on me, however it makes it painful to manage bombs as you'll have to make sure you have 2 bombs at all times for maximum efficiency or your drops will go wasted. Also I wish fire-rate power up had any effect even when fire-rate is already maxed, even just temporary.
About the bombs, I'm not quite sure, as if it happens that bombs won't destroy items, then that means that you'll most likely end up using a bomb directly right before catching another bomb, I decided to let bombs destroy the items too so it actually has a disadventage when using it. (As bombs are even more powerful than hypermode does), but I can understand that it's annoying that bombs destroy every other item too. I might eventually change that.

I had once planned to let items like fire-rate not appear at all when you've reached the maximum level, but that didn't worked really out.
Either way, that's it. Everything else is great, and really do love to see how far you've pushed to project. Maul is love.
Heheh, Milt approves.

Thanks once again for the great feedback given. :happy:

I get as far as selecting a ship and hitting space on Start, then it crashes for me. :(

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: space siblings.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.3.0
Problem Signature 03: 57711c3f
Problem Signature 04: Microsoft.Xna.Framework
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30901.0
Problem Signature 06: 4e60120e
Problem Signature 07: 516
Problem Signature 08: 51
Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

What makes it really odd is that you manage to run the game, and that it's crashing mid-way...
Just a question, but are you also able to run Terraria on the same Operation System? since that's also made with the same program.

Reactions: W1K
Yes, Terraria works fine. I really have no idea what could be wrong since it's obviously working for other people..

Crash log refers to an "InvalidOperation". I don't have the code at hand so can't really tell what might be causing it, but it might be the result of missing or damaged files as the game might be trying to load or execute operations on such. I would suggest trying to download again and make sure everything extracts fine.

Decent idea, but unfortunately that didn't help.
Have you extracted the game in a new folder or have you been replacing the files from older versions? If the latter is the case, changes to the config file could be causing trouble as the game might be trying to load an outdated config file format.

Then I'm clueless. I tried.

Only other thing I can think of is missing program prerequisites but I don't think it uses anything other than the usual .net redis and XNA, which are the exact same requirements as Terraria. That is, unless steef uses a different version of .net framework or XNA.

Hmm, you're making sure you don't move the .exe file around? It's needed that it remains in the same folder when extracted.
But I think that there would be nothing wrong with that since the game does work on startup.

I can note that it waits for a while to load the code and content of the game when you hit start. it's possible that your PC is unable to handle that for unknown reasons.
A possible way is to just reboot your system, but I cannot confirm that it'll fix the problem.

In case other information is needed, the last time I checked (just now) my VS has those versions:
.net Framework has version 4.6.01055
XNA has the latest version (4.0)

Yes, I just used the command in my archive program to extract the whole zip into a new folder. It still has the content subfolder and all the XNBs in there. I'm 99% sure that part is perfect. Haven't tried rebooting, I'm working on some other stuff so I can't right now, but I'll let you know if that works whenever I get a chance.

I don't suppose the details from the crash report mean anything to you? It looks extremely cryptic, but presumably it's meant to tell you, somehow, what place it crashed at.

I don't suppose the details from the crash report mean anything to you? It looks extremely cryptic, but presumably it's meant to tell you, somehow, what place it crashed at.
Honestly, I didn't understanded it myself, it didn't showed anything where it chrashed, but I can always search the error message online.
The part that was helpful for me was the "System.InvalidOperationException", and the 'additional information' parts.
By searching said error codes, I might look up the problem, as it's pretty likely that it happened before.

I didn't found much, but I've seen things around like 'Disabling hardware rendering'.
So, after you've rebooted and it doesn't work yet, you can eventually try this one: http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-off-Hardware-Acceleration

It's always more helpful to give them anyways than not giving them.

It's been a while since I've done some programming, so to get back at it, I gave this game a small update.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3awcwrfou3o9yfg/Space_Siblings_v1.0.3.1.zip

- There's now a hidden kill counter that gives a guaranteed drop once it reaches the average change of dropping an item.
(Average chance is 6%, so destroying around 16 aliens will surely give an item)
The counter will reset once an item has dropped, so it's to make sure you don't end up getting no items at all.
- Bombs will no longer destroy items, however, enemies destroyed by bombs will not drop an item nor adds to the 'guaranteed drop counter'.
- Items dropchance have been reduced to 2% when reaching level 15. however, the guaranteed drop chance still applies.
- The SilverStar's Hypermode has been ajusted, giving a small spread to her missiles. (still accurate enough to not miss their targets)
- The Tutorial will now appear again when going to the options menu, because most of the functions in the options will affect the tutorial by a little.
- fixed a bug where the item text is still visible when restarting a game.

The anti-rng counter was something I already wanted to add previous time, but I'm glad to made it working well right now. but the full drop chance became quite overpowered when a lot of aliens are spawning, hence why the chance is much lower when reaching the final level.

With having bombs not letting destroying items as well, it should now be pretty easy to obtain them and get quite a lot of it as well, maybe even a bit too easy.
But I'll see that for later. it was a good way to get me back into programming again.

It's been almost 6 months since the first version came out. and by looking back with where I started with, this game has come much further extended than I had imagined. I'm really happy with that.

On top of that, Space Siblings version 1.0.3 has archieved over 50 downloads. With an average of 33 downloads of each version released.
I'm really happy with those stats so far. And I also hope you've enjoyed it as well. :happy:
Space Siblings 50 downloads.png

On top of that, it gives me motivation to go back at it one more time. implementing Ideas and improvements I had still in mind.
Simply said, Space Siblings 1.1 is announced to happen.

I had plenty of possible ideas, but I'll avoid massive changes, as I want to remain it small.
After that, it'll be time to move on to newer projects. Once again, thank you all for the support!

Progress is still underway, and lots of stuff has been done as well.
Though, I do want to try out some new functions that I wanted to implement since the beginning.

For now, I do want to show the group of people where the Space Siblings team up with:
Space Siblings Group.png

Short bio of each character:
- Tristan is a Tank Soldier, all he thinks about is ultimate surviveability. although he is succesful, (because he never died), he isn't really useful in offense as he don't want to have his perfect armor to be damaged.
- Trex' armor is similair to Tristan, but for his size, that way he can endure all the times he got thrown around by certain ninja's.
He got his helmet from his dad and he grew attached to it. He can easily take it off, or to make the visor transparent, but he never did though.
- Everyone is allowed to choose their own color for their armor if they want to, so Silvyne obviously went for a silver-like color.
As expected, she deals with rockets, and her dream is to become closer to her favorite rocketgirls.
- Rose deals with fire and flames, her armor is also more fire-proof than the others.
- Rand is an companion of Trex, and became a powerful soldier for their team, although he does brag about his deeds.
Just like Silvyne, Rand likes rockets, but he's more of the rocket power than wasting bullets.
- Rianne is Rand's sister. The company likes to hire siblings for some reason. She isn't into fighting and instead she handles the controls and contact from the back.

2 of the new characters will become playable. And the others will maybe be mentioned or seen as an NPC.

I'm sorry for keeping updates on this game rather low.
About the state of this game, it's actually still going on! I've only been busy earlier weeks with internship and project deadlines.

Now what I have been busy with lately was implementing several rather big features. Despite I've said that I'm not going to add massive changes.
Although, I've to realise that some ideas are just too big to fully working and fleshing them out.

So I'm gonna decide to drop the big feature that was supposed to be a campaign mode, so It'll hopefully not take another 2 months to finish this.
I'll still keep most of the features that are currently working.

Can't really reveal any of the new features yet, as most are only noticeable as gameplay, and I don't want to spoil the others.
But I can at least tease some of the new and updated sprites made:
New stuff:
whatsthis.png
Missile.png
Crosshair.png

And updated backgrounds:
b3_Galaxy.png
b2_Woods.png
b6_Icy.png

I am still working on this project every week, but as a gamer myself, you can also expect that I want some time to enjoy myself. :)

It's been a busy week, but the 1.1 update is almost ready to be tested.

The update comes with quite some improvements and features on several parts all around the game, which includes:
- Improvements on items pick-ups and power-ups.
- updates on several sprites in the game.
- 2 extra unlockable spaceships.
An whole overhaul on the ship selection menu:
upload_2017-1-7_21-25-18.png

If everything is working well, I'm hoping for a release this month!

At long last, the final major version of Space Siblings have finally been released.

It comes with quite some improvements overall, and several new features as well.
That said, I've also decided to expand it to a bigger community, so I've decided to upload it on itch.io,
there I can keep all the information and download files in a single location. And many more features that Mediafire simply doesn't have to offer.

So from now on, you can download the game from the page on itch.io:
https://ppowersteef.itch.io/space-siblings

1.1. 1.PNG

As well as the changes:
Features:
- 2 new unlockable spaceships have been added.
- The ship selection has been completely overhauled, allowing more information and easier access.
- Something huge is waiting once level 15 has been reached.
- When playing with 2 ships, there's now a chance a Silver Defender can spawn with extra health, but it has a weakness to explosions, to balance out that both explosive and laser ships needs each other.
- Ships will now release a fire trail when reaching maximum firerate.

Changes:
- Hypermode can now be manually activated, Whether it's charging or already fully charged, you can unleash it whenever you want by pressing 'Up'. It does charge for a little longer though. This option is toggleable.
- Manual standard fire has been removed, the spaceships have now always autofire.
- Several items are no longer ignored when another is already in use:
- - Serene's Aura will now restore full duration.
- - Firerate will now convert into 50 points if you're at maximum power.
- - You can obtain an extra hypermode if you're unleashing the current hypermode.
- The way to unlock spaceships is no longer score based, but instead of the total amount of kills of a certain enemy.
- You'll now get the mentions of a new ship unlocked mid-game, instead of during a game-over.
- Serene's Aura has now a much shorter hit delay when colliding ships. Gotta crash them all.
- Ships are now slightly longer invincible after getting hit.
- Silverstar's hypermode spread is reduced, the accuracy is more important for her than the spread.
- Droprates are slightly reduced when using 2 spaceships.

Minor:
- You can now press 'space' during the game-over screen to return to the main menu.
- Several large backgrounds/planets have been remade.
- It'll now give a warning window when you're about to delete highscores.
- Fixed a bug where the spaceships could still be heard damaged while already broken.
- Fixed a bug where the short invincibility didn't kicked in when hit by an enemy bullet.
- Fixed a bug where the secondary ship may start defeated.
- Fixed a bug with item text appeared in front of the pause menu.
- Face icons have been updated.
- Other small changes, cleanup and bugfixes made.

A great thanks for the massive support throughout the year! In total the latest version has reached over 70 downloads already.
It was really fun to have worked on this project, but it's final version is now finished.
Since every update will reset your score counter, I'll rather keep the future updates on this game low, but to look back to what it have become, I can say that I'm truly proud of myself.

Alas, this current game has ended well, and new games may rise over a new light, my road to game development has just started. Who knows what to expect more? :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom