Member-Run Project ppower indies

For my birthday, I've bought an XBox controller so I'm able to play PC games without having to sit down. And I've already noticed that some games play really comfortable with it.
And as a second reason: I can also experiment with XBox Controller Support for the games I've made.

Currently already figuring things out with XNA, And decided to give Space Siblings a fleched out Controller Support for the heck of it.
Knowing the full practise also makes me more certain how long I can be busy with it. :p

upload_2019-8-10_20-33-37.png

Gladly the programs so far doesn't require too much keyboard/mouse input, so the transfer can be done without soo much problems.
And once I got Space Siblings working, then maybe Hjort Helten may get one too. :)

And Space Siblings has been updated to v1.1.1, with the main feature been added Xbox controller support.

Space Siblings by ppowersteef

---v1.1.1---
- Added XBox gamepad support.
Features seperate control options for keyboard and controller, precise Analog Stick movement.
An icon to indicate the connection, UI text changes when a controller is connected, and a rumble when the ship got hit.
- Controls are now on a new section in the main menu.
- Manual hypermode is now a default setting.

ControllerLogo.png
This icon indicates that it found a controller, and the UI and instructions will change on that
For example, this:
upload_2019-8-11_17-42-24.png

becomes:
upload_2019-8-11_17-41-59.png

For the majority, it still prefers both Keyboard and Gamepad inputs when a Gamepad is connected.

A controls menu is added so both Keyboard and Gamepad settings can be set seperately.
Gamepad controls can be set for left joystick, right joystick or D-pad. When setting a joystick, you'll use the triggers as the up-arrow.
upload_2019-8-11_17-45-16.png

(Text sticking out of borders...reeeee)

Additionally, the friction has a third option to change the movement with the analog stick, allowing more precise aiming.
Besides that, the movement physics behave like the friction is off.
upload_2019-8-11_17-50-51.png

So far I know the support function only works for a Single XBox 360/XBox One Controller. Since the idea was to let a single player control 2 ships at a time.
It's uncertain if it'll support other controllers or multiple at a time.

I doubt I'll continue to add it everywhere from now on. As it is still an additional thing to lay support on.
But regardless, this was a fun experiment to try out. And the controller is now 1 game richer to support. :)

HH Map Update.png

After some good month, Hjort Helten has recieved it's first update as well.

With mainly featuring a minimap!
GN minimap.png
minimap.gif

When pressing M, a metroid-inspired minimap will show up, showing which rooms you've already discovered, and which room you currently are.
As you go through rooms you havn't visited before, the map will update it the next time you're opening it up.
Some rooms had to be tweaked a little bit to make the progress of the minimap somewhat cleaner. But overall I find it a nice improvement.

Other changes include:
bomb changes.gif

- Bombs can be thrown again without having to wait untill the previous one exploded. You can also shoot an arrow at them to explode instantly!
- Maximum arrows now starts with 2, where the quiver upgrade adds a 3th one.
- Minor tweaks and bugfixes.

Controller Support and Keybindings have been attempted to do, but they've been too difficult to implement for the current engine.

Overall, there are no significiant changes to the game's visuals and balance, so the update is more suitable for those who havn't played the game yet.

Fair warning: because of the saving method used, the save can't load the changes made.
Attempting to load a previous save will most likely cause a crash, so it's required to start a new game instead.

So far this was an update to the game that I think it needs since the beta publish.
I'm not sure if I'll do another small update this year. At the moment I've also wanted to look into new things instead. Maybe more stuff to draw, or maybe a smaller project to work on.

So for the time been, have fun with this one. :)

Last edited:
HH update 0.12.png

It has been a good period of rest, and after another month of work, Hjort Helten has recieved it's second update. :)

This one focussed mainly on improving various visual effects of the game.
As well as an improved tileset and frames per second increased from 30 to 60 FPS, which makes the game much smoother overall.
stone shards.gif

Other changes include:

peaceful birbs.gif

- The Birds are no longer hostile, and flies away when approached.
- Balance changes to certain tough enemies, giving them a weak point to certain weapons.
- Small graphical changes to the GUI.
- Changed some rooms layout a bit to have more space around.

Huge thanks to the TileSetter tool which makes creating and updating tilesets much easier!

No significant gameplay changes have been made, but with the smoother movement, new tilesets and new effects makes the game look more polished than before. But there's still a long way to go for a real release.
It's been quite an experimental build, with trying out full backgrounds, improving the FPS, and thoughts about controller support. There's a lot going on when trying to implement backgrounds. And controller support would probably need custom keybinding settings as well. I've decided to save these for later.

Fair warning: because of the saving method used, the save can't load the changes made.
Attempting to load a previous save will most likely cause a crash, so it's required to start a new game instead.

The next update may either be trying for controller support, or implementing backgrounds and finishing the visuals.
I'm looking forward working on those. :D

Also, this may probably be the last time I'll call it "Hjort Helten".
It's name's up for a change. :)

Cover art.png

Happy 4th anniversary of development!
After a long year, Hjort Helten can finally leave it's Beta version and turn into Herten Held!

Much changes have been made since last year, for now, I'll mostly highlight the biggest ones:
- Backgrounds everywhere! along with background tiles and objects in every room.
- There are now intro and ending scenes. Including an ending timer, and various ending screens depending on your actions and time.
- Some enemies have improved their behaviour, the Final Boss has recieved some new attacks as well.
- The top area of the game is rebuild into the ruïns of a sanctuary, and it has gotten a new miniboss too.
- The overall artstyle on enemies have been redesigned so they blend better with the other backgrounds.
- The Shadow Wolf boss have become stronger, with more health, new attacks, and a second phase.
- New music added for the Sanctuary, and the boss theme is changed to an original soundtrack!
- Controller Support! Although changing the keybindings aren't possible yet, you can now try a new comfort of button settings.
- Minor changes, including improvements to items, rooms, enemies, secrets and more.

It has come such a long way, with a lot of up and downs. I was also thinking back at the time I almost discontinued the game mid-way.
I'm glad to see how things have turned out now. And I'm really glad for all the support I've been recieving along the road!

There are some ideas for future updates, but currently I rather want to take a break from the pasttime game development. Once I feel recovered, I'll likely focus on smaller projects. This game has been a huge learning journey and I'm glad that I've taken this mountain to climb.

I hope you'll enjoy playing my game!

HH update 1.0.1 1.png

Hey everyone,
I've released a small update that does some post-release fixes on HertenHeld. And worked on some of the feedback recieved.

One of the main changes is the knife improvement:
It's range is now slightly increased, and it's hitbox now lasts the full slash frame, instead of the initial moment, this makes it much more useful to hit enemies or other objects while moving in mid-air:
LhCs92.gif

Other changes include:
pauze view.PNG

- The pauze screen now shows the game on pauze, rather than a black void.
- It's now possible to restart from your last save from the pauze screen using F2, (Currently just Keyboard only)
- The default ending screen is updated.

I've already ideas for a next update, like improving the controls and UI.
So things like assigning controls/keybindings are in mind. As well as a proper pause prompt are in mind. So the options are shared between keyboard and controller right away. (And maybe I'll look for a different way of saving, so updates can roll out a little smoother)
I'll also have thoughts of features that were cut from the release. Like stronger enemies appearing in earlier rooms as you progress, or something that gives you directions where to go in case you're stuck. To increase the difficulity and accessability, respectively.

However, I'm still recovering from the effort put in the release version.
I've wanted to do some of the necessary changes, and then take a break from gamedev for a while.

Regardless, I hope you'll enjoy my game and this update. :)

Last edited:
Title3 crop.png

Version 1.0.2 is out today!

This update has taken a focus on improving the game's engine.
That way, it's easier to make multiple menu's and making the actions more universal with different inputs.
And as result, it's now possible to set keyboard keybindings!
FQCAY%2F.gif

This has been a suggestion asked by multiple people, so I'm glad that I've managed this to work well.
I've also tried applying this to the gamepad/controller, but that was more work than I had expected, hopefully it's not too significiant because controllers don't have that many buttons and options as a keyboard does.
And yes, you can also set everything to the same button if you really want it to.

I do have made some other changes to improve the controls as well, which include:
- Controller D-pad controls now also works for Analog.
- The vial has turned into a passive item, which automatically fills up and uses when needed,
this saves up remembering one more button to use, it has also a more visible effect when it's used.

Other changes include:
- The title logo is updated, as you can see at the top of this post.
- The pauze screen is now a proper menu to select from:
wuq0ax.gif

- The introduction lines takes a little longer to progress, giving you more time to read them. (You can still skip to the next line manually)
- Some minor aesthetic changes and bugfixes

There was also an attempt to fix the saving bug between versions, but unfortunate, I havn't found the right solution for it.
It is however possible to change controls, and continue the current session with the new keybindings though! So I see that as an improvement.

There were a lot of ideas in mind to work on new content updates, but the more I think about it, the more I think it fits better for a potential new game.
With that said, it's likely that this will be the last major version of Herten Held.
While I would love to continue giving it updates, sometimes it's better to move on to new ideas.

Thank you all who have been playing this game and giving me feedback to improve on it.
I've learned a lot from my journey making this game, with more to come as well. :)

Hello @ppowersteef, I recently played Herten Held and found the music so peaceful. Sadly for me I couldn't find the audio files nor could i find where you got them from. Is it possible for you to post both the music files as mp3?

Aside from the request for the music as seperate audio files, the game is really fun to play.

Also, not sure if this is an unintended feature (I also find it quite useful), but when using a controller of any type, the RB button actually is the same as the B button (meaning that RB also is used to attack with the sword, just like the B button)

Keep up the amazing work. :)

NOTE: I want to be able to listen to the music even when I'm not playing the game (E.G: like when I'm out and don't have a pc on me))

Hello @ppowersteef, I recently played Herten Held and found the music so peaceful. Sadly for me I couldn't find the audio files nor could i find where you got them from. Is it possible for you to post both the music files as mp3?

Aside from the request for the music as seperate audio files, the game is really fun to play.

Also, not sure if this is an unintended feature (I also find it quite useful), but when using a controller of any type, the RB button actually is the same as the B button (meaning that RB also is used to attack with the sword, just like the B button)

Keep up the amazing work. :)

NOTE: I want to be able to listen to the music even when I'm not playing the game (E.G: like when I'm out and don't have a pc on me))
This was something great to wake up from. Thanks for playing! :D

At the moment, I didn't have the audio files published somewhere. Though to be honest, I want to listen to the soundtrack as well.
But I can ask Flan (the composer) for permission to upload them on Youtube. Whether it'll be on mine or his channel is yet to be decided.

As for the feature: Back when the vial was a manual item assigned to LB, the button layout felt uneven. So I wanted to assign something to RB, the sword/knife came in mind, because that was assigned to the B button, which was a bit awkward to switch your thumb for.
Now that the vial is a passive item, I forgot that the RB is assigned uneven. But I see only harm from removing an extra option. Maybe I could assign LB to something else, even though I might as well work on controller keybindings instead. But that's the story behind it.

Once again, thanks for playing! I don't get a lot of feedback, so any bit is very welcoming! :D

Its mainly the soundtrack at the start of the gameplay that i cannot figure out (I just figured out and purchased the other soundtrack from bandcamp)
Also, OGG and/or WAV format also work fine (i have an application to convert it to mp3)
It's also nice to hear the game wasn't abandoned :)
I'm currently trying to research the song ( no luck so far :( )
Suggestion: Why not bind LB to the bomb? (I find it a little awkward moving my thumb to the Y button while jumping)

Last edited:
Its mainly the soundtrack at the start of the gameplay that i cannot figure out (I just figured out and purchased the other soundtrack from bandcamp)
Also, OGG and/or WAV format also work fine (i have an application to convert it to mp3)
It's also nice to hear the game wasn't abandoned :)
I'm currently trying to research the song ( no luck so far :( )
Suggestion: Why not bind LB to the bomb? (I find it a little awkward moving my thumb to the Y button while jumping)
Most of the music is made by RambunctiousFlan, he made the music specifically for this game.
For this, I can't really give permission to send the audio files right over for research.

Though once it's uploaded on Youtube, feel free to download it from anywhere, as long as it's for personal use.

The one exception is the soundtrack midgame, "Night Hunters", which is royality free to use.
(I'm not sure what you mean with the "other soundtrack on bandcamp", maybe it's this free one)

Binding LB to bomb might be an idea, I end up using it less because it was a bit awkward to use on controller.

Playing the game rn, is it possible to add an aim feature for the bow and bombs? (like to attack up instead of forward)

Playing the game rn, is it possible to add an aim feature for the bow and bombs? (like to attack up instead of forward)
This is pretty highly requested, but I think this can break some designs that weren't intended to let you aim up or down. Such feature is also a little more complex to add than just left and right. But it's something to keep in mind for a next game.
As substitute, the bomb throw allows you to attack up (when jumping) and down.

exactly how many flaming arrows (or knife hits) does it take to defeat the boss? (maybe a boss health bar would be helpful)

exactly how many flaming arrows (or knife hits) does it take to defeat the boss? (maybe a boss health bar would be helpful)
I think a bit less than 50 fire arrows.
Personally I find visual effects on the character more immersive than a visible healthbar, so you'll notice you're halfway when he's in it's second form. His attack pattern changes in his second form too.

I liked the ending scene, tho it stopped at the scene with the "Thanks for playing" message, and i had to press the pause button then select main menu to exit :)

I liked the ending scene, tho it stopped at the scene with the "Thanks for playing" message, and i had to press the pause button then select main menu to exit :)
...yeah, that is the intended way to return to the menu. :p

Thanks once again for playing it until the end!

I do have more ideas planned to do with that game, but whether it's an update or a sequel is left to be decided

Can't wait to see what you make next :D

EDIT: I found the hidden Easter egg you put in, idk what the coffee was supposed to do, but it made me jump crazy until I left the secret room.

Last edited:
So, while at it, let's give this thread a proper update as well:

--- Pico-8 and Space Siblings Mini ---
Since recently, I've been working with Pico-8, and it's an awesome mini-engine to make small games with it.
To put it on the proof, I've remade Space Siblings into Pico-8, and though with some workarounds, I've managed to rebuild most of the original game into this.
The 5 ships are playable, and functions pretty much the same as in the original one.
The double ships and boss are not present however, but there's no limit on the maximum level, so the highscore can be as high as you want it to be. :p

It's huge plus comes that it's also a web game, so you can play it online on any device. :)

spacesiblingsmini p8_4.png
You can play it by clicking on this link:

--- Herten Held ---
On @Windless Jeff's request, I've released the soundtrack of Herten Held today!
Once again, a huge thanks to Rambunctious Flan for making it happen.
You can find the playlist over here:

As for the game itself, it's technically done, and I can finally put it to rest.
But...I feel like I want to do more to it. There has been some sections that I've left out on release.
So maybe I'll come back to it, either as a sequel or with an update.
I'll talk more about it in the next section:
Samantha wait.gif

--- Future plans ---

So far, with one big project out of the way, a path of new game ideas opens up.
Some small ones, and some big ones.
However, these are all just concepts, and it's likely that if I pick one, I won't be able to work on an other for a while.

game concepts.png

Of the four, the one that speaks most to me is the 'Valkyrie game'.
It sounds like a fresh concept with enough platforming elements to have experience with.

However, I also think it's possible to work on Herten Held first.
Because if the ideas are small enough, it could fit in an update rather than a whole new game.

The other two also looks promising, because these are small ideas that helps me to study game design more.

So far these are just thoughts, I'd love to work on one the upcoming vacation, but I'm only not sure which one is it gonna be.

And that's all for now, I'm starting to feel better, so I'm looking forward to whatever I'll work on next!
If you have a preference, please let me know! I'd like to know what others are looking forward for. :)

---Coffee---
EDIT: I found the hidden Easter egg you put in, idk what the coffee was supposed to do, but it made me jump crazy until I left the secret room.
The coffee does what it's supposed to do. :)

Back
Top Bottom