Pre-hardmode sword tier list (1.3)

So I've seen some other people do this so I though what the heck why don't I do one, so here is the tier list or whatever you call it.

This is how I'm gonna rank this

S: Absolutely overpowered

A: A really good weapon

B: An average weapon

C: Not recommended to use

D: not utterly useless

F: Why would you try to use this??

Credits to @Bed_breaker117 pls don't sue me. I'm gonna go in the order the wiki says it. (Remember this is my opinion so don't get mad, also this is based off 1.3 not 1.4 so some of the weapons in this list might have got buffed or nerfed)

1. copper shortsword
Damage: 5
do I really need to explain this. The copper shortsword is the first weapon you spawn in with when you create a world, the copper shortsword has little range and you can only stab in front of you, in 1.4 the sword got buffed and now you can stab it in any direction but again this is based off 1.3 not 1.4, this weapon is basically pointless even in the beginning of the game

2.copper broadsword
Damage: 8
the copper broadsword is the weakest broadsword in the game, the copper broadsword does do more damage then the copper shortsword and it's swung overhead, but copper is not the easiest ore to find which you could get a wooden sword way easier, if copper wasnt as hard to find this sword would be ranked d but for now its f

3. Tin shortsword
Damage:7
no need for an explanation it's a shortsword that's a little better then the copper shortsword. It's the second worst shortsword in the game

4. Tin broadsword
Damage: 9
it's a ok upgrade from copper but otherwise there is nothing special about this sword

5.iron shortsword
okay I'm just gonna say this DONT use shortswords, and If you do I would skip copper and tin and go straight to an iron shortsword

6. Iron broadsword
Damage: 10
honestly I'm gonna say 1 damage honestly you could keep your tin broadsword

7.wooden sword
Damage:7
easiest early game sword to get in my opinion, right when you spawn in the world I would chop down a tree and get wood armor and wood sword but once you go mining it's pointless

8.palm wood sword
this sword is garbage, first of all you have to go to the beach to get it and by then you'll already have a better sword

9. boreal wood sword
basically this is the snow biome wood sword

10. Rich mahogany sword
again you have to go to the jungle to get this sword, most new players won't last a second in the jungle, they will need better weapons and gear by the time they reach the jungle, ultimately it's pointless, AND CAN WE STOP WITH THE WOODEN SWORDS ALREADY

11. Cactus sword
Damage:8
finally not a wooden sword, you might be wondering why this is d rank, well the cactus sword is a really easy weapon to get , it also has pretty long range of could be useful for the beginning of the game

12.lead shortsword
damage: 9
this shortsword is for worlds that don't have iron but instead have lead, this shortsword does more damage then the iron shortsword that makes it a little better

13.lead broadsword
damage:11
the ebonwood sword is a better version of the wooden sword but its harder to find ( it is only found in corruption), the shadewood sword is the ebonwood sword just found in the crimson

16. tungsten shortsword
damage: 10
the tungsten shortsword is a better shortsword, my experience with tungsten isn't great it pretty hard for me to find it might just be me but in my opinion tungsten isn't the easiest to find

17. tungsten broadsword
damage: 12
the tungsten broadsword is one f the better beginning broadswords, its not necessarily good but its not bad

18. silver shortsword
damage: 9
you can only get this sword if your world was blessed with silver instead of tungsten, if you got silver instead of tungsten your kinda unlucky, silver gear does less damage but is easier to find in my opinion

19. silver broadsword
damage: 11
a worse version of the tungsten broadsword, what else can i say

20. gold shortsword

one of the best early game shortswords, this would be c but gold is hard to find

21. gold broadsword
damage: 13
the gold shortsword made it seem like the gold broadsword would be pretty good but NO! gold is not easy find and it only does 13 damage, this weapon is kind've a let down

22. platinum shortsword.
rank d
damage: 13
this is a huge upgrade for shortswords, the platinum is the strongest shortsword in 1.3.

23.platinum broadsword
damage: 15
the platinum broadsword is a really good sword early on, the fast speed makes it better then the War Axe of the Night

24. stylish scissors
damage: 14
although the damage is good you might have to kill the stylist 8 times, killing the stylist once can be a challenge but killing eight times would be a challenge lets not also forget you have to mine and encounter a spider cave in order to find her

25.bladed glove
damage : 12
the speed on this weapons makes it the pre-hardmode version of the Fetid Baghnakhs, although the speed is incredible it can only be found during halloween

26. zombie arm

Last edited:
1. I really don't understand your ranking system. You say that the cactus sword is an easy to get, useful weapon, yet put it in D rank which you labeled as "do not use". By your own definitions, it should be at least a B. Same thing with wooden swords - they are easy to get and can protect you early on, yet you put them in F rank.
2. If you don't want to write 10 different parts for the different sword variants, just make 1 part for wooden swords and give it a general ranking, or split ranking like D/B (meaning the worst variant is really bad, whilst the best variant is at least usable). Same thing can be done for ore swords.
Otherwise - keep it up, I didn't see anyone else make a sword guide. Will be interesting to see it once it's complete.

D: Definitely don't use

F: Why would you try to use this??

Credits to @Bed_breaker117 pls don't sue me. I'm gonna go in the order the wiki says it. (Remember this is my opinion so don't get mad, also this is based off 1.3 not 1.4 so some of the weapons in this list might have got buffed or nerfed)

Honestly I wouldn’t get worried about people getting mad over an opinion of all things. D and F don’t make any sense to keep separately; “definitely don’t use” and “why would you try this” are [literally] the same thing. For D, I would personally say something like “very circumstantial, there are definitely better options but not utterly useless.”

Last edited:
this is totally fine.I see that you have gone through the brunt of listing each ore sword and shortsword.this is a prime example why I didn't list each weapon one by one. :)

Back
Top Bottom