tModLoader Prefixes for Enemies

*Didn't update, since I'm not using tModloader v.8

Emerald Tier! Yay~ This has to be my favorite tier because of one item.

Charge Bangle: Awesome item! I've had it equipped since I got it, until just now. I loved it. I'll be equipping it again when I can combine more of my accessories. :) I just needed more survival for upcoming bosses.

Gunblades: Not much to say. They're awesome options. Not my cup of tea - I enjoy my magic too much. :p But they seem pretty awesome. I did use them a bit, and both the gun & sword were perfectly balanced, numbers wise. It felt nice to be able to swat bats who flew too close and immediately return to shooting at the mimic chasing me around. Fun weapon, but as I said, I'm a mage this time through - so limited play.

Light Spear Ring: This item needs a buff. I absolutely love the spell itself, but I feel as it is, it could be balanced without the use of charge restrictions. Piercing, no invul frames or higher base damage would solve this item. I Would *love* to see an enemy with this effect, though! Reminds me of Undertale's Undine.

*I feel this bares mentioning: I'm not a fan of Dots in Terraria in general, so I am a little biased against it. Grain of Salt and all. :)

Shadowflame Ring: This might be my favorite item period. To put some perspective: My favorite Diablo 2 character was a trapper. The "turret" style spells are my favorite. The damage seems pretty fair in /most/ scenarios, maybe a bit strong in some. Charges make it seem fair. All in all - Loved it.

Shattershard Ring: 2nd Favorite item yet. I've always loved the icicle effects, so an upgraded version of the first ring is very welcome! :D Balance wise it seems great.

Lightning Ring: If destroyer wasn't a thing, I'm not sure I'd use this often. If this item didn't have a charge cooldown - it'd be one of my primary spells. This and Light spear ring are two items I wish didn't have a cooldown so I could use them all the time. :p That being said, I feel this item is actually balanced and I'll likely make a bit of use of during my first 'moon' event.

Edit* Okay Shattershard Ring vs some relatively laggy bosses DECIMATES my frames. Love its damage, hate the frame drops.

Last edited:
*Didn't update, since I'm not using tModloader v.8

Emerald Tier! Yay~ This has to be my favorite tier because of one item.

Charge Bangle: Awesome item! I've had it equipped since I got it, until just now. I loved it. I'll be equipping it again when I can combine more of my accessories. :) I just needed more survival for upcoming bosses.

Gunblades: Not much to say. They're awesome options. Not my cup of tea - I enjoy my magic too much. :p But they seem pretty awesome. I did use them a bit, and both the gun & sword were perfectly balanced, numbers wise. It felt nice to be able to swat bats who flew too close and immediately return to shooting at the mimic chasing me around. Fun weapon, but as I said, I'm a mage this time through - so limited play.

Light Spear Ring: This item needs a buff. I absolutely love the spell itself, but I feel as it is, it could be balanced without the use of charge restrictions. Piercing, no invul frames or higher base damage would solve this item. I Would *love* to see an enemy with this effect, though! Reminds me of Undertale's Undine.

*I feel this bares mentioning: I'm not a fan of Dots in Terraria in general, so I am a little biased against it. Grain of Salt and all. :)

Shadowflame Ring: This might be my favorite item period. To put some perspective: My favorite Diablo 2 character was a trapper. The "turret" style spells are my favorite. The damage seems pretty fair in /most/ scenarios, maybe a bit strong in some. Charges make it seem fair. All in all - Loved it.

Shattershard Ring: 2nd Favorite item yet. I've always loved the icicle effects, so an upgraded version of the first ring is very welcome! :D Balance wise it seems great.

Lightning Ring: If destroyer wasn't a thing, I'm not sure I'd use this often. If this item didn't have a charge cooldown - it'd be one of my primary spells. This and Light spear ring are two items I wish didn't have a cooldown so I could use them all the time. :p That being said, I feel this item is actually balanced and I'll likely make a bit of use of during my first 'moon' event.

Edit* Okay Shattershard Ring vs some relatively laggy bosses DECIMATES my frames. Love its damage, hate the frame drops.

Gunblades: I'm waiting on more feedback for these, since I'm not sure how balanced they are at different points in the game. This tier is where they get more interesting, gaining a special effect depending on their type. Glad you feel they're in a good spot.

Light Spear: One of the important things to know about this is that the DoT the spears inflict scales exponentially with each spear stuck in the enemy - if you have the charge bangle and can get 3 perfect casts off on a boss, it'll do some real damage. That said, I think you're right about it being a little weak. P.S: I love me some DoTs `;)

Shadowflame: Glad you like it! I tried to make it feel more impactful by having a low rate of fire, but high base damage. It might be a little strong, but I'll leave it as is for now.

Shattershard: It's one of my favorites, too. Kind of low damage, but there are just so many hits. The piercing shards they create on hit make it a pretty good crowd-control weapon as well. Not sure what to tell you about FPS issues here, since there really aren't that many particles. I can tone down the amount of dust slightly and adjust the number of shards they spawn on death (down to 2-3 from 2-4, damage up 7%), but I'm afraid that won't have much of an impact.

Lightning: This guy has a much lower cooldown than most of the rings at 8 seconds. It fills the niche of a high base damage piercing weapon, but is a little inaccurate to use against individual small enemies. It's pretty much built for fighting the Destroyer if you kill Prime or Twins first to get into Emerald, but should also be useful against slow bosses like Plantera and Golem that it can hit ~6 times on each cast, and should be a good crowd-control weapon through tier 5.

I'll play around with shattershard ring and try to see *exactly* what's causing the lag.

Also, Using the pokemon mod and wanted to level a level 1 pokemon, so I used a mob spawning / farming setup...rares are still spawning and dropping everything. Skeleton Statue & Jellyfish Statues.

Edit:

Okay, Shattershard ring

Made a video of the problem, and compared to it to another spammy spell. (ignore gameplay & music - lol was just trying to make it quick)

I'm fairly sure the actual particle isn't causing the problem, but the 'dust' following it is the issue. Same with the rain, which is still a bit laggy. :(

Last edited:
Curse you and those Martyr enemies. Early game when I'm in a corner I notice them too late and go boom. :)

Could you have a particle effect around them suggesting "hey, this idiot has a suicide vest on!" so you know what to look for? :)

I like the Gunblade concept, but I wished they were for every tier, and having the ones with "special" abilities dropped from bosses or something.

I'll play around with shattershard ring and try to see *exactly* what's causing the lag.

Also, Using the pokemon mod and wanted to level a level 1 pokemon, so I used a mob spawning / farming setup...rares are still spawning and dropping everything. Skeleton Statue & Jellyfish Statues.

Edit:

Okay, Shattershard ring

Made a video of the problem, and compared to it to another spammy spell. (ignore gameplay & music - lol was just trying to make it quick)

I'm fairly sure the actual particle isn't causing the problem, but the 'dust' following it is the issue. Same with the rain, which is still a bit laggy. :(

Yeah, definitely looks like it's the dust. I can reduce the frequency at which dust spawns for the projectiles in the spell, hopefully without making it look worse.

On statue mobs spawning with rare: I know what I need to do to fix it, but it'll take a little effort. Same type of fix I did for invisible prefixes a while back.
Curse you and those Martyr enemies. Early game when I'm in a corner I notice them too late and go boom. :)

Could you have a particle effect around them suggesting "hey, this idiot has a suicide vest on!" so you know what to look for? :)

Hmm, possibly. I personally feel that the detonation time is enough to get away, usually, but if/when tModloader allows me to access the dye shaders, this would be a candidate for something like that.
I like the Gunblade concept, but I wished they were for every tier, and having the ones with "special" abilities dropped from bosses or something.
I'm... not sure what you mean. They are for every tier, except for amethyst.

Preliminary Ruby stuff, since this tier seems to be unfinished!

After 3 hours of bashing my head against Plantera, I decided to farm up 500 hp...I hate this boss with a passion. Anywhoo, she's dead so without further ado:

Banshee's: Pretty straight forward. A very useful version of Death Kneel, as it actually reaches useful damage numbers for expert! :) Not much to say~ cool ring. Also, is that the re-dead scream from Ocarina of time? :p Lovely utility item that kills *a lot* of annoying enemies. THIS item will find a spot on my bar for a very long time. Also turns off mob grinders in 1 click. :D

Ring of the Undying: Oh now here's an item that's scary to balance. Use 10 of these and you can't die. May be a bit strong, but for where it is I think that's fine. It's not 'free' or automatic, so it's a little hard to use. You might want to do something about chaining them, though. :p Permanent immortality doesn't sound like its intended effect.

Also, bug: It says "Acid Rain 1/1" instead of Undying 1/1. :)

Firecracker Ring does not work. At all. It doesn't have a delay, it doesn't cast anything, it makes its on use sound and nothing else.

Petalstorm: Awesome spell! A little laggy. It's fine if it's not used on bosses - which I can't see myself doing anyways, so honestly it's fine. :) It looks very nice and feels great to use. Long cooldown screen clear for everything but the hardest areas. I like. :D

I'm... not sure what you mean. They are for every tier, except for amethyst.

What I mean is making it a normal crafting item for different materials (probably starting with hardmode metals). They probably shouldn't have the melee/ranged dmg boost for early on mats.

Preliminary Ruby stuff, since this tier seems to be unfinished!

After 3 hours of bashing my head against Plantera, I decided to farm up 500 hp...I hate this boss with a passion. Anywhoo, she's dead so without further ado:

Banshee's: Pretty straight forward. A very useful version of Death Kneel, as it actually reaches useful damage numbers for expert! :) Not much to say~ cool ring. Also, is that the re-dead scream from Ocarina of time? :p Lovely utility item that kills *a lot* of annoying enemies. THIS item will find a spot on my bar for a very long time. Also turns off mob grinders in 1 click. :D

Ring of the Undying: Oh now here's an item that's scary to balance. Use 10 of these and you can't die. May be a bit strong, but for where it is I think that's fine. It's not 'free' or automatic, so it's a little hard to use. You might want to do something about chaining them, though. :p Permanent immortality doesn't sound like its intended effect.

Also, bug: It says "Acid Rain 1/1" instead of Undying 1/1. :)

Firecracker Ring does not work. At all. It doesn't have a delay, it doesn't cast anything, it makes its on use sound and nothing else.

Petalstorm: Awesome spell! A little laggy. It's fine if it's not used on bosses - which I can't see myself doing anyways, so honestly it's fine. :) It looks very nice and feels great to use. Long cooldown screen clear for everything but the hardest areas. I like. :D

Yeah, ring of the undying is one of the reasons I'll probably have to move charges off of items and onto the player or a buff. Thanks for pointing out the text bug, I did a lot of copy-paste between rings for the shared code and missed some things like that.

Firecracker is in the exact same spot as the Dragoon Lance. Nonfunctional placeholder that shouldn't be obtainable. Crafting recipe is out for next patch.

Glad you like the other two rings! Tier 5 does have the least content, but that will hopefully be smoothed out a bit with later additions. Good ear on the redead scream, by the way. It's pitched up significantly, so I wasn't sure how easy it would be to place.

What I mean is making it a normal crafting item for different materials (probably starting with hardmode metals). They probably shouldn't have the melee/ranged dmg boost for early on mats.

That's not really in line with how loot is obtained in this mod.

Last edited:
Oh well. But hey, maybe you could make another mod for that? Like a weapon pack/accessory pack. The concept is honestly pretty good. But then again, up to you.

With the same loot in this mod? Part of the reason I don't use vanilla crafting materials is because it limits the theme of the item to what's available for crafting materials at the tier of the item. If I tried to add a vanilla recipe for everything in the mod, a lot of them would be unintuitive and weird.

You updating to 0.0.8 for TModloader, Hiccup? I updated, and now it's not reading it. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, downloaded it from the mod browser instead, and it seems to work.

Last edited:
You updating to 0.0.8 for TModloader, Hiccup? I updated, and now it's not reading it. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, downloaded it from the mod browser instead, and it seems to work.

The download on the main post is intentionally left not updated for the people who haven't yet upgraded. In a few days/a week or so, I'll bring it up to date.

Version .8 Tmodloader changes:

NO LAG ON ANYTHING WOOOO.

This mod became much smoother because of that. The rain spells are much more viable when you're not forced to play at 1fps during them. :p Razorwind caused 0 lag, too.

I have an idea. for enemies that are too easy, there could be an optional item to craft that gives the chosen pre/suffix to the mob you click on. so if you craft a "dangerous" one, it gives that prefix to the enemy you click on. multiple ones could be used on the same enemy.

What's the area of effect on the Malefic prefix? I haven't seen it yet, but the way it's worded makes me go "wait, it scales with distance from the enemy? Further away means more damage?" I don't want to be on the opposite edge of the screen when a Malefic appears and get one-shot...

Will a Hunter Potion detect Stealthy?

What's the area of effect on the Malefic prefix? I haven't seen it yet, but the way it's worded makes me go "wait, it scales with distance from the enemy? Further away means more damage?" I don't want to be on the opposite edge of the screen when a Malefic appears and get one-shot...

Will a Hunter Potion detect Stealthy?
stealthy are mostly invisible even with hunter potions... the brightness makes it a bit more noticeable than without though

I keep getting sniped by miniature stealthy vultures and jungle bats, so that's why I asked. Heh.

Now I'm envisioning stealthy wyverns...

Can you try to make the rings of the same type all have the same cooldown, if you have 10 of the same ring, it gets really op.

I keep getting sniped by miniature stealthy vultures and jungle bats, so that's why I asked. Heh.

Now I'm envisioning stealthy wyverns...
rather than stealthy wyverns.. imagine splitter wyverns.. they are fun to fight against

Back
Top Bottom