tModLoader Prefixes for Enemies

I'm a pretty slow, bad spriter, so I probably won't be adding a wide variety of accessories like this unless someone wants to create sprites for them. Your example accessory would be pretty easy to code.

I really like debuff vulnerability as a mechanic, and will be working on adding these in for the next update.

Now, i'm not the world's best spriter, but I would really enjoy making sprites for you. I don't have too much experience, so you can definitely choose not to use my sprites, but I could make you a few sprites if you'd like :)

Now, i'm not the world's best spriter, but I would really enjoy making sprites for you. I don't have too much experience, so you can definitely choose not to use my sprites, but I could make you a few sprites if you'd like :)

If you come to me with a sprite and an idea for an item and I like both, I'll code it.

Imported piskel (2).png

Volcanic Charm:
2 Defense
Summons a volcanic fireball when hurt
A rare drop from Volcanic Monsters
'A firestorm shields you'

I hope you like it!

View attachment 96937
Volcanic Charm:
2 Defense
Summons a volcanic fireball when hurt
A rare drop from Volcanic Monsters
'A firestorm shields you'

I hope you like it!

Solid sprite, there. I'll see what I can do. Projectile may take a bit more work than I first anticipated, since I need to change it to friendly and mess with the homing (as is it would probably keep homing in on the player... I might actually see how that looks, since it could be pretty cool if I keep the velocity a little lower). Probably won't get to it tonight, but I've got a lot of time tomorrow to write code. I may also modify the idea to spawn the fireballs when an enemy is near rather than when you're hurt.

Solid sprite, there. I'll see what I can do. Projectile may take a bit more work than I first anticipated, since I need to change it to friendly and mess with the homing (as is it would probably keep homing in on the player... I might actually see how that looks, since it could be pretty cool if I keep the velocity a little lower). Probably won't get to it tonight, but I've got a lot of time tomorrow to write code. I may also modify the idea to spawn the fireballs when an enemy is near rather than when you're hurt.

Sure, you're the boss of the actual coding lol. I do also have a lot of time to sprite tomorrow, so if you give me the green light I could definitely run through a few more sprites!

Sure, you're the boss of the actual coding lol. I do also have a lot of time to sprite tomorrow, so if you give me the green light I could definitely run through a few more sprites!

Go for it! If the next few hold up to the quality of the first, I may ask you to sprite for some of my unpublished, already-coded stuff.

Go for it! If the next few hold up to the quality of the first, I may ask you to sprite for some of my unpublished, already-coded stuff.

Thanks! Also, that was my first sprite ever lol, I'm glad you liked it! However, right now I'm on spring break, so after this in the next few weeks I might be a bit less active because:
-school
-and a field trip to Yosemite for a week

But I'll definitely do my best to sprite some more, especially now!

If you could tell me any specific items you've got in mind, I'd appreciate that! The sprite below could be:

ShadowSkull Pendant:
Rather when enemies are nearby (like the Volcanic Charm), this accessory shoots Shadow apparitions at the nearest enemy when the player is below 100 health (just my idea, the way it works could be changed).

Attachments

• Imported piskel (4).png
    Imported piskel (4).png
    519 bytes · Views: 247
Last edited:
If you could tell me any specific items you've got in mind, I'd appreciate that! The sprite below could be:

ShadowSkull Pendant:
Rather when enemies are nearby (like the Volcanic Charm), this accessory shoots Shadow apparitions at the nearest enemy when the player is below 100 health (just my idea, the way it works could be changed).

Shadowflame projectiles (those fired by the shadowflame hex doll) are one of my favorite projectiles to work with. Easily accomplished, since the vanilla projectile is usable as-is.

Maybe the rich prefix where enemies drop 3x more coins?

Would people prefer this, or do you think a coin multiplier on every prefix would be better? Since there's no reward yet for killing tougher enemies, I feel like a general multiplier might be better - such that an enemy with 3 strong prefixes might drop something like 2x3x3 = 18x coins total, but a single prefix would only be 2x or 3x the coins. Since most enemies drop less than 10 silvers anyway, this probably wouldn't get out of hand.

How about looter? YOU drop more coins.
Ooooh, very interesting. I'm not sure how I'd go about changing this, but I'll look into it. How do you feel about something similar which I know how to mess with: When this enemy hits you, if you're softcore, you become mediumcore for a couple seconds. I feel like this is cool, but maybe a little more mean than most people would want.

So I saw the mod, and I this looks like a cool mod to use.

But I feel like adding a strong item would be extreme if it drops from a green slime.
I already have an idea for a special item dropped from Immortal enemies (No sprite because not on comp [and because I suck at art for the moment]) :

Life Gem (help me find another name and shape please) :
Grants "Immortality" when taking fatal damage. This effect lasts 10 seconds and can only be triggered once every 5 or 10 minutes (resets upon death but debuff cannot be removed by Nurse)
The item can be combined with either the Ankh Shield (to make the "Defender of Anubis" [A shield]) or the Cross Necklace (to make the "Hyperion Ring" [A... Ring, duh]) or even the Star Veil (to make the "Divine Saver" [A neck or shoulder accessory]).

I'll keep trying to find some ideas but this one should definitely be added into the game but, as I say, if it drops from a random immortal slime.. You pretty much win the game.

But I feel like adding a strong item would be extreme if it drops from a green slime.
I already have an idea for a special item dropped from Immortal enemies (No sprite because not on comp [and because I suck at art for the moment]) :

Grants "Immortality" when taking fatal damage. This effect lasts 10 seconds and can only be triggered once every 5 or 10 minutes (resets upon death but debuff cannot be removed by Nurse)
The item can be combined with either the Ankh Shield (to make the "Defender of Anubis" [A shield]) or the Cross Necklace (to make the "Hyperion Ring" [A... Ring, duh]) or even the Star Veil (to make the "Divine Saver" [A neck or shoulder accessory]).

I'll keep trying to find some ideas but this one should definitely be added into the game but, as I say, if it drops from a random immortal slime.. You pretty much win the game.

Maybe these items can be really rare prehardmode, then get significantly less rare during hardmore. As it is, prefixes aren't always present on enemies, and if an item drops based on a singular prefix, it would be even rarer

I'm certainly not averse to the idea of temporary mediumcore as the one-time panic of "oh :redmunch:" would probably be really funny in hindsight or with friends who can protect your stuff (when multiplayer is finished).
as for the coin multipliers, the slight coin boost is a nice little touch in my opinion.
plus the immortality gem sounds like the perfect boss fight item and needs to exist. :dryadpassionate:

New Update! Check the updated main post for details, and keep the feedback coming.

I'd like to thank @Eldrazi for his help in fixing some bugs.

To better reflect the powers of the Immortal: saving you once from death, bringing you back to 50% HP, and giving you a short damage buff. 10 or so minute cooldown.
Not a bad idea. Combining with the ankh shield might be a bit much, but it does fit thematically. I think a cross necklace combo is more reasonable.

Maybe these items can be really rare prehardmode, then get significantly less rare during hardmore. As it is, prefixes aren't always present on enemies, and if an item drops based on a singular prefix, it would be even rarer

Accessories would need to have some kind of scaling factor on them regardless of rarity; some scale automatically, like the worm scarf's % dmg reduction, but others would need more careful tuning.
I'm certainly not averse to the idea of temporary mediumcore as the one-time panic of "oh :redmunch:" would probably be really funny in hindsight or with friends who can protect your stuff (when multiplayer is finished).
as for the coin multipliers, the slight coin boost is a nice little touch in my opinion.
plus the immortality gem sounds like the perfect boss fight item and needs to exist. :dryadpassionate:

Thanks for the feedback!

How about Slimed prefix? Just a fun prefix that adds the slime guns buff upon hit. And another called Soaked that applies the water guns buff. Both of the buffs don't do anything anyways.

i really like this mod. i was playing with a modpack that i tough that it was too easy, installed this and it increased the difficulty!

also, the fact that Bosses can have prefixes is awesome... i only hope that i never have to defeat a moonlord with the inmortal prefix :indifferent:

New update up! Most of the work went into less visible stuff - there should no longer be any conflicts with mod NPCs whose names happen to contain prefixes. The Nullifier has been buffed to additionally keep the player perma-cursed while nearby - get some distance from these guys or find yourself totally helpless. Additionally, I've added exceptions for all vanilla worm-type enemy heads; while not every segment can get a prefix, the head is now able to.

Reactions: Azu
Hey, just wanted to drop in and say I love the mod! However, sometimes enemies don't display their prefixes (pretty big shock when a devourer just randomly froze me...). You might want to look into that.

Hey, just wanted to drop in and say I love the mod! However, sometimes enemies don't display their prefixes (pretty big shock when a devourer just randomly froze me...). You might want to look into that.

Were you using the latest version? Anyway, it can be hard to tell what prefixes are on a worm-type enemy because only the head actually has the prefix, so you have to be hovering over the head (which is hard to do when it's always moving) and not just one of the body segments, which will just display the normal name. They're actually considered to be different NPCs that share a health bar, which is a little weird. If this is a big issue, I could remove the exceptions for worm-type heads and just leave all worms without prefixes.

Back
Top Bottom