PC Prismatic Lacewing Farm: Developing and Enhancing

Terrarian
Prismatic_Lacewing.png
Just recently, there's this critter, the Prismatic Lacewing, that spawns the Empress of Light, as you all know. As I've been doing a "no flight" run, I've more or less hit an nigh impassable obstacle trying to figure out ways to beat her without wings, rocket boots, or anything of the sort (mounts included). So for now, I've decided to take my time to create a prismatic lacewing "rubber band afk" farm.

Here are a few things about lacewings that I can say for sure:
Lacewings will spawn on any hallowed surface (pearlstone, pearlsand, pink ice, and hallowed grass). However, they will instantly despawn if the habitat requirements are not met (in the night and player is in the hallow biome). (I've seen some cases where Lacewings persist in the midst of getting stuck in hoik teeth, but I've only found that out by glancing over my farm at the perfect timings. The erratic nature of butterflies can take minutes to not get clipped in the block they were hoiked from.) They can be hoiked as if they were moving souls of __ight. They will not die from enemy attacks and will not be teleported by teleporters. You can also catch lacewings through blocks using the net, like other critters.

Following those rules, I made this incredibly rudimentary piece of work:
Capture 2020-06-13 02_03_04.png

Whoops, forgot about the switch. It was part of an idea to forcibly despawn enemies instead of a kill chamber, but I get so many problems with that where it becomes too much of a pain to install.

In here, there's a dummy ghost that trips the teleporters to send enemies instantly to a kill chamber. To ensure the spawns are of hallowed creatures, the teleporters are actuated. Since there's the once per hour probabiliy that some enemy is going to move at the right timing to get hoiked in the wrong places, there is lava to kill them off in the right spots. The massive array of teeth hidden by the green wires activate every 3 seconds to let the butterflies fly into the area (though they are fast enough to move past it entirely), which also has a pearstone surface at the top for the best spawns possible. There are also a set of actuators at the right that act as ladder that goes downwards to where the player would be singing the net. The gap between the spawn area and the biome changer (100 blocks of pearlstone, though it seems like it's actually 101 blocks, after some simple observation) forces wraiths to fall down, as they attempt to stay a the same elevation of the player. Beds to pass the time, water candles to increase spawns... the only thing missing is the jungle biome, but I cannot say for sure if it overrides the hallow, and the teeth themselves are incredibly labor intensive as is.

While this is a working farm, there are a few pressing issues I have with it. For one, it would be better to have enemies despawn instead, as the items they drop clog up your inventory in no time at all; they are also not worth the price. I have attempted to try to make a logic gate for it to be a decision for the farmer, but I lack the knowledge to make that work. I feel that there are much better methods to have lacewings get into the net; once I had only caught 5 lacewings while leaving this overnight. There was one lacewing still stuck on the teeth in broad daylight. That's how bad butterfly AI is. I've also seen the lifeform analyzer find one and then lose track of it, due to despawns; any lacewing that is too high up the array never goes down fast enough to get hoiked without vanishing.

I've said as much as I can about this farm. Now, does anyone possess a better farm than this?

Note1: I just realized that you could just have the lacewings fly up, since none of the enemies fly, but then you would have wraiths clog up the spawns... Oh wait a minute-
Note2: Anyone got tips to win against Empress of Light without wings? I've never seen anyone do it (because everyone does it the chicken way, like Moon Lord), and I've already tried Lava Shark, which is what I use against Duke Fishron and the Seasonal Moons (marine combat is amazingly good against them, due to the effects of water and the freedom of "flight" in such an area), but there's no vertical movement to get around that. Blessed Apple and Hexxed Branch make you really tall, which makes it just as bad as the shark. I've found that it's virtually impossible to outrun Empress of Light where she despawns aside from teleports (slime mount and mech cart will not be too fast for her to suddenly despawn), so there's that for a start. Why do I do no flight challenge? It's far too easy to rely on.

Back
Top Bottom