Problem with logical gates in Terraria

Bloddy

Terrarian
123.png

I just want to build RAM in Terraria. This is a one bit scheme. It would seem to be a very simple scheme and does not work at all. I don't understand why.

Here you can see what is happening in the game Файл из Облака Mail.ru
This is the expected behavior of logical gates Файл из Облака Mail.ru

Last edited:
View attachment 368661

I just want to build RAM in Terraria. This is a one bit scheme. It would seem to be a very simple scheme and does not work at all. I don't understand why.

Here you can see what is happening in the game Файл из Облака Mail.ru
This is the expected behavior of logical gates Файл из Облака Mail.ru
Terraria’s logic system doesn’t really work how you’d think it’d work. It relies on pulses and the logic gates are weird as they try fire a pulse when they are turned on and off. Basically most of these logic gates kind of act the same. There’s a thing called a faulty logic gate and it kind of acts like an if statement kinda useful. I’ve attached what you want to make tho

Attachments

• C4D22EE2-4241-438C-81A5-24C90A72ABEC.png
    C4D22EE2-4241-438C-81A5-24C90A72ABEC.png
    748.5 KB · Views: 90
Terraria’s logic system doesn’t really work how you’d think it’d work. It relies on pulses and the logic gates are weird as they try fire a pulse when they are turned on and off. Basically most of these logic gates kind of act the same. There’s a thing called a faulty logic gate and it kind of acts like an if statement kinda useful. I’ve attached what you want to make tho
Yes, indeed, this is an interesting logic gate lamp, it seems to create randomness, for example, one damaged lamp, ten under it if 10 is true, then when receiving a pulse, the chance of triggering is 100% if 5, then 50% and so on. But in my case, I'm not really interested in something happening by accident. Imagine an 8-bit number 00001110. I want to save it and change its value as needed, as if it were a register in a computer or a RAM cell. Or for example imagine a monitor of 16x32 torches we need to store the value whether the torch is on or off 0 or 1 and of course each value needs to be stored in memory otherwise everything just loses its meaning.

Last edited:
As someone who's done a lot of wiring with logic gates, the only useful gates are the OR gate and any gate with 1 regular lamp and 1 faulty lamp above it. The former just lets you link multiple inputs to the same output, while the latter can store and check the actual state of a mechanism and is the only thing you need 99% of the time. Yes the faulty lamp is supposed to be for randomness, but its best application is when you put only 1 lamp under it so it's a 100% chance if that lamp is on, 0% if it's off.

Back
Top Bottom