PC Problems getting keys for chests.

Twsted

Terrarian
What are the drop rates for keys to open chest ?
I have been playing for 2 1/2 days and yet to get a key to open any chests.
Ive been to many locations within the map and discovered many many many chests that require a key>
And I tried everything I know to get keys. Do I have to do something special to get keys ?

PS:>\ I am playing a crimson map.

What are the drop rates for keys to open chest ?
I have been playing for 2 1/2 days and yet to get a key to open any chests.
Ive been to many locations within the map and discovered many many many chests that require a key>
And I tried everything I know to get keys. Do I have to do something special to get keys ?

PS:>\ I am playing a crimson map.
I assume you're talking about biome keys? According to the wiki page, "each key has a 0.04% (1/2500) chance of dropping from an enemy in the key's respective biome."

Or, if you're talking about golden keys, there are several ways to get them:
  • Finding one in an unlocked normal Chest in the Dungeon.
  • Killing a Dungeon Slime (100% chance).
  • Killing any other Dungeon enemy (1/65 chance).
  • Breaking a Pot in the Dungeon (1/40 chance).

Last edited:
"each key has a 0.04% (1/2500) chance of dropping ??
So the developers really don't want anyone opening those chests with those numbers.
No wonder im not getting keys. ive been breaking my head for 2 1/2 days for this.
Good to know, from now on whenever I see one of those biome chests that needs a key, ill just ignore it.
:/

Thanks for responding.... even though it was bad news.

So the developers really don't want anyone opening those chests with those numbers.
No wonder im not getting keys. ive been breaking my head for 2 1/2 days for this.
Good to know, from now on whenever I see one of those biome chests that needs a key, ill just ignore it.

Considering you'll only find the biome chests in the dungeon, it shouldn't be too hard to ignore them as you go by. As your initial post said you're finding the locked chests all over, you're finding the Gold Chests, in which case temery2383 already answered getting those, which is a much better set of odds.

It's worth mentioning that biome keys only drop in hardmode, while golden keys drop any time.

Ive been to many locations within the map and discovered many many many chests that require a key
Both biome chests and locked golden chests are only found in the dungeon, as mentioned above. The only other locked chests are shadow chests, which are only in the underworld (the shadow key to open them is found in a locked golden chest or a golden lock box from fishing in the dungeon). I'm not sure how you're finding locked chests all over the map.

To be fair, the biome chests contain post-Plantera weapons. It's not like they just have normal chest loot and make it really hard to get.

You might be pleasantly surprised at how often the keys drop while you're just playing through the game normally. I get plenty of keys this way. There are also tips and tricks for farming keys, including AFK farms. Fighting an Invasion or Solar Eclipse in a specific biome (for keys to drop) is a good way to get both keys and invasion items at the same time.

As for the weapons themselves...
...only the Vampire Knives in the Crimson chest is probably worth it. Even then, Vampire Knives are only effective with a Godly modifier and a few melee-boost accessories. The Frost Hydra (Ice chest) used to be useful as a sentry until sentries were nerfed. The other weapons are forgettable. Yes, they are unique. But there are better weapons that are more easily obtained.

It's worth mentioning that biome keys only drop in hardmode, while golden keys drop any time.
Both biome chests and locked golden chests are only found in the dungeon, as mentioned above. The only other locked chests are shadow chests, which are only in the underworld (the shadow key to open them is found in a locked golden chest or a golden lock box from fishing in the dungeon). I'm not sure how you're finding locked chests all over the map.

Because I have tons of these spread all over my particular world map.
If you take a look at this picture provided (1-st picture), there are two types of chests, a regular one (locked) and one that has a triangle shape on top (which is also locked)

[doublepost=1539815365,1539815016][/doublepost]Heres is some more locked chests in a different area 1 biome away (2nd-picture).
all locked of course.

Attachments

• 20181013223001_1.jpg
    20181013223001_1.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 20181013224539_1.jpg
    20181013224539_1.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 855
If you take a look at this picture provided, there are two types of chests, a regular one (locked) and one that has a triangle shape on top (which is also locked)
Ah, you're playing with mods. They are chests from a mod, not Terraria chests. You'll have to take a look at the mod(s) you're using to find out how to unlock them.

ok :)
when i hover over the chest it shows this picture
View attachment 211728
That is the Crimson key's sprite, but I can't say for sure if it is the 'real' Crimson key from base Terraria or a copy from mods. For reference, you can view the biome keys and chests on the Wiki: https://terraria.wiki.gg/Biome_Chest. The mod might have an alternate way to get the keys too.
Hopefully this mod is generous and you only need one key to unlock all of those chests! :)

If you take a look at this picture provided (1-st picture), there are two types of chests, a regular one (locked) and one that has a triangle shape on top (which is also locked)

[doublepost=1539815365,1539815016][/doublepost]Heres is some more locked chests in a different area 1 biome away (2nd-picture).
all locked of course.
That's from the Tremor mod, not vanilla Terraria. You need ruin keys to open the chests, which are dropped by ruin ghosts with a 16% chance. Ruin ghosts spawn in those areas once the tiki totem boss is defeated.

Back
Top Bottom