Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I've got a weird problem in my world where you can teleport to and from the Forest and Ocean Pylons under the Aether's Shimmer lake but you can't teleport to them. It says the Pylon isn't in the right biome when you try to teleport to them. I've got a screenshot of where the Pylons are and a World Download.

My World: Steam Workshop::Kingdom of Defiant Hope

Not sure if it matters, but I used T-Edit to finish the Aetherium barrier between the Aether and the Corruption when I couldn't see and reach all of the edges. Not sure how that could've messed it up, but I'm mentioning it just in case.
Edit: Definitely not TEdit. I went back to the copy of the world I had before using TEdit because it reset kill counts and the problem still happens. Also, the Pylon would be low enough for rain but rain doesn't show in the Aether.

Thanks for all the hard work and I hope whoever checks this bug enjoys my spawn build. Echo Coating is awesome!

By the way, if 1.4.4 was the final update, then why do we have 1.4.4.4 now? :p

Attachments

• 20221004183801_1.jpg
    20221004183801_1.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I gave this a quick test, but I was unable to reproduce the issue. Unfortunately, the use of TEdit may have altered the world in such a way the pylons stopped working. If you can, please test on a world that not been modified by any external tools and advise if the issue recurs.

By the way, if 1.4.4 was the final update, then why do we have 1.4.4.4 now? :p
Some lucky circumstances! 1.4.1 was some additional content that didn't make it in 1.4. Then 1.4.2 was Steam Workshop support, 1.4.3 came about after ReLogic was approached for a crossover and 1.4.4 as a thank you to players that voted and helped win the Labour of Love award on Steam.

I gave this a quick test, but I was unable to reproduce the issue. Unfortunately, the use of TEdit may have altered the world in such a way the pylons stopped working. If you can, please test on a world that not been modified by any external tools and advise if the issue recurs.
Updated the world download to a world that wasn't edited by TEdit. Unless just opening it in TEdit changed anything... It shouldn't have because I have autosave off in TEdit.

I think the problem might be because of the Aether Biome.

Some lucky circumstances! 1.4.1 was some additional content that didn't make it in 1.4. Then 1.4.2 was Steam Workshop support, 1.4.3 came about after ReLogic was approached for a crossover and 1.4.4 as a thank you to players that voted and helped win the Labour of Love award on Steam.
I was just joking about that. Every update after the "last" update has been awesome! :D

Updated the world download to a world that wasn't edited by TEdit. Unless just opening it in TEdit changed anything... It shouldn't have because I have autosave off in TEdit.

OK, thanks! We'll check it out.

Hey CTNC, could you try removing the Cavern Pylon from the last world you uploaded and see if you can consistently fail to teleport to and from the Surface Pylon? I think it may be causing some interference in your testing due to being too close.

I also didn't see any Ocean Pylons in your world, although I expect that if you replace the Surface Pylon with the Ocean Pylon you'll get the same results.

Hey CTNC, could you try removing the Cavern Pylon from the last world you uploaded and see if you can consistently fail to teleport to and from the Surface Pylon? I think it may be causing some interference in your testing due to being too close.

I also didn't see any Ocean Pylons in your world, although I expect that if you replace the Surface Pylon with the Ocean Pylon you'll get the same results.
I removed the Ocean Pylon that was next to the Forest Pylon because I'd started building and didn't put it back before uploading, but it would act the same.

I tried removing the Cavern Pylon and thought nothing would change, but it made the Forest Pylon completly unusable.I could teleport from the Forest Pylon when I put the Cavern Pylon back though. I thought the Cavern Pylon might be making teleportation from any Pylon work, so tried Hallow and Snow Pylons in place of the Forest Pylon though there's no Hallow or Tundra, and I could teleport from both of them!

In other words, the glitch with Pylons might be that you can teleport from any Biome Pylon as long as there's one in the range of a Pylon in the right Biome.

The problems I'm having with the Forest Pylon not working when it seems like it should is still annoying though. Maybe it's because it's because the areas at the edge of the map that start Corrupt don't count as Forest or Ocean for Pylons? If so, that's an annoying quirk of the special seed.

unfortunately im on the "get fixed boi" seed but this was the only thread I saw with this problem, I have this same problem with my forest pylon. (keep in mind im always around elevation 550 - 650) Ill place My forest pylon and at first it says my pylon is fine but after im done building the houses and the npcs move in the biome music instantly changes to space music ( my space portion of the map doesnt start until 900 elevation) and the pylon will then tell me its not in the correct biome. ive cycled through all the pylons and it says none are correct. this has happened to me 3 times now and all 3 of those forest biomes are apparently now permanently considered "space biomes" according to the game.

I removed the Ocean Pylon that was next to the Forest Pylon because I'd started building and didn't put it back before uploading, but it would act the same.

I tried removing the Cavern Pylon and thought nothing would change, but it made the Forest Pylon completly unusable.I could teleport from the Forest Pylon when I put the Cavern Pylon back though. I thought the Cavern Pylon might be making teleportation from any Pylon work, so tried Hallow and Snow Pylons in place of the Forest Pylon though there's no Hallow or Tundra, and I could teleport from both of them!

In other words, the glitch with Pylons might be that you can teleport from any Biome Pylon as long as there's one in the range of a Pylon in the right Biome.

The problems I'm having with the Forest Pylon not working when it seems like it should is still annoying though. Maybe it's because it's because the areas at the edge of the map that start Corrupt don't count as Forest or Ocean for Pylons? If so, that's an annoying quirk of the special seed.
Okay, then I know exactly what is going on.

For a Surface Pylon to be usable, it must satisfy these three conditions:
  1. It must be on the surface of a normal world or in the caverns layer of a remix worlds
  2. It must be more than 380 tiles from either of the worlds' edges
  3. It must not be in a Jungle, Snow, Desert, Mushroom, Hallow, Corrupt or Crimson biome.
Your Surface Pylon just about satisfies the first condition, but fails the second: it's too close to the world's edge, making it unusable. The reason you could still teleport from is is quite simply that you were teleporting using the Cavern Pylon, which is just about close enough to use. Similarly, the Ocean pylon was also unusable because it needs to be on the Surface Ocean, which is why you couldn't teleport to it.

In short, the Pylons are working consistently, but the "must not be too close to the world's edge" rule - which exists to keep the Surface Pylon out of the Ocean - is causing unintuitive behaviour. I'll bring this to the attention of the developers, though I can't promise any changes will be made.

In hindsight, the reason I couldn't teleport to the Forest or Beach Biomes isn't surprising. It makes sense why it doesn't work, but it seems like one of them should be able to work and it still think it's weird that the Cavern Pylon lets you teleport from other Pylons though. I'm not complaining though. HHaving to move my Pylon makes me expand my building plans from an area that felt too small and technical stuff in games is interesting enough that learning why the Pylons worked that way was worth the trouble of going through the problems. Thanks for the help! :D

unfortunately im on the "get fixed boi" seed but this was the only thread I saw with this problem, I have this same problem with my forest pylon. (keep in mind im always around elevation 550 - 650) Ill place My forest pylon and at first it says my pylon is fine but after im done building the houses and the npcs move in the biome music instantly changes to space music ( my space portion of the map doesnt start until 900 elevation) and the pylon will then tell me its not in the correct biome. ive cycled through all the pylons and it says none are correct. this has happened to me 3 times now and all 3 of those forest biomes are apparently now permanently considered "space biomes" according to the game.
Are you talking about using the Forest Pylon on the True Surface? I'm pretty sure that's not working on purpose. The Surface isn't forest. It's death. The Forest is the Forest layer of the underground right above the Mushroom Biome. I believe other Biome Pylons work on the True Surface though if you can make a big enough biome far away from the Corruption because being in Space doesn't stop Biome Pylons from working. Forest Pylons even work in Space in more normal worlds. Building on the Jungle Temple would seem like an easy way to make a Jungle town, but the Temple Bricks don't count as Jungle on these Seeds. It's still a good start for building on top of though if you clear off the top and it's easy to get enough mud to grow a Jungle or Mushroom Biome, so the Temple may still be good for a Jungle Pylon.

Edit: Now I'm complaining. From the last spot I had my Forest Pylon, I had to move it less than 10 blocks. So close yet so far from having no problems

Last edited:
I found a new Bug/Oversight with Forest Pylons in Don't Dig Up. NPCs sell the Forest Pylon even if they're too close to the edge of the world for them to work. At least they also sell the Cavern Pylon too and that should work. (Haven't tested it, but I'm going to laugh if it doesn't work either. :p)

Back
Top Bottom