Program to Increase Frames and Smooth Servers (Large Address Aware)

Kennethern

Terrarian
- Note that I did NOT create this program, you need more than 2 gigabytes of RAM for this to work, and that it will work with all programs limited to 2 gigabytes of RAM. -

Large Address Aware is a program which allows 32 bit programs and 64 bit programs which are limited to using 2 gigabytes, or less, of your RAM to use essentially "unlimited" amounts of RAM. Even if you only have 4 Gigabytes of RAM, you will likely see drastic decreases in lag spikes, and much less lag on servers.

1 - Download LAA: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/
2 - Unzip LAA anywhere that you'll remember, and note when you use it, it will create a .sav file called "settings". Do not delete this.
3 - Run the program as an administrator if you haven't already.
4 - Click on "..." and select the shortcut of Terraria on your desktop, or the .exe in your Terraria directory. You will have to do this for both Terraria and the server batch file.
5 - Check the box under "Large Address Aware Flag", and commit to changes.

Feel free to confirm, complain, and ask questions down below.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I tried this out on my Terraria, but when I launched it, from the shortcut and directly from the Steam application, it said "Please launch game from Steam Client." I was using this on tModloader(Which has worked in the past) if that helps anything.

EDIT: I also attempted to do this with my normal Terrria, and was presented with the same issue.

Hmmm. I tried this out on my Terraria, but when I launched it, from the shortcut and directly from the Steam application, it said "Please launch game from Steam Client." I was using this on tModloader(Which has worked in the past) if that helps anything.
Unfortunately, you may have to get a "cracked" .exe for Terraria if you wish to use this since it modifies the .exe without cracking it. It doesn't bother my steam at all, though I assumed it may effect others. Attempting to verify the game's integrity without allowing steam to "update" it may fix your issue.

By "verify the game's integrity...", I meant right click the game in your Steam Library and click "verify game cache". Once it's done, you should be able to play the game again. If that doesn't work, you may have to decouple the game from steam in order for it to work.

Last edited:
I apologize for the inconvenience. Go into your Terraria folder and delete the Terraria.exe file. If that doesn't work, then repeat all of the steps to download LAA, but leave the "Large Adress Aware Flag" unchecked.

AH! I found something! When I try to run Terraria, a file called installscript.vdf, but even when I delete it, it puts it back. Also, don't worry about it. Thanks for being super helpful, BTW.

EDIT: Retracing my steps didn't work, still getting the error message.

EDIT #2(Final, I hope) : Figured it out! Just needed to delete everything, then restart my Computer, no Idea why, but it fixed it, tMod and Default. Thank's for all of your help, and I hope this helps someone else. Bye!

Last edited:
@Kennethern - I think it would be best to link the page where this download originates, rather than just the download itself. That way, people can check out all of the information related to this tool.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/

There seems to be some separate instructions for users of 32-bit OS'es (WinXP/Vista).

Also, just as the author of this tool has a disclaimer stating that users assume all risk for using this tool, Re-Logic will not be responsible for any game issues resulting from the use of this tool.

We would also insist that you not suggest using this with 'cracked' versions of the game; this forum is owned and operated by Re-Logic, and they do not appreciate such things being posted. If people want a non-Steam/DRM-free version of the game, they can purchase that from GOG. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom