Portfolio/Multi-Topic Programmer NPC!

Do you like this idea?

• Yeah!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Actually, I might add... (reply below)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

BitPieStudios

The Destroyer
I know this community is full of people that have very clever uses for wiring. It's insane the things some people can do using wiring!
So for the insane, I wanted to introduce a new NPC, one that is more obsessed with the fine points of wiring, unlike the mechanic.

Meet the Programmer!

programmermasbig_by_bitpiestudios-d8x4hah.png
programmerfembig_by_bitpiestudios-d8x4ha7.png

The programmer is an NPC that is a bit more unique compared to others. for one, they can spawn as either male or female, depending on the name given to them by RNG.

Possible names:
Male:
Gater
Linus
Zucker
Wozny
Carmak
Engel

Female:
Lovelace
Ada
Marissa
Snowy
Corrinne
Dona

So, what does this NPC actually do? Well, he or she has 2 menu commands besides close...
Shop and Teach.

Shop info:
This NPC's shop has a few unique items. The first is a special crafting material called "microchip". This material is used to craft advanced wiring mechanisms, which I will describe in detail later. They may also sell accessories that improve wiring ability.

One, called the Wire Spool, increases wire and wire mechanism (like actuators) placement speed, kind of like the tile layer.

Another, called the Mechanic's Wrench, greatly increases wire placement range, either by 3 tiles or 5 tiles.

Along with this, the shop would also sell a "Statue Base" for 10 Gold. This would be used to create some statues, although not all that can be found underground.

The Statue Base's general crafting rules are...
- Used in hellforge or higher tier forge.
- Need stack of 99 of one animal (bunny,bird,etc.) to make the respective statue.
- CAN'T be used to create monster, heart, or mana statues.

Some new statues may also be made using Statue Bases:

Boulder Statue: made using 99 boulders, spawns boulders.
Penguin Statue: made using 99 penguins, spawns penguins.
Frog Statue: made using 99 frogs, spawns frogs.
Mouse Statue: made using 99 mice, spawns mice.

And finally, they sell 3 laser sensors. It is a wiring mechanism that shoots a thin light beam. Depending on the kind you buy, any monster, player, or everything will send a signal to the device if they go through its line of sight. This sight is 50 tiles long. The direction of the laser (up, right, diagonal, etc.) can be changed 8 ways by hammering. Painting the block changes the color of the light, and shadow paint makes the light look like it isn't there.

Teach info:
When you click the teach option when talking to the Programmer, they will give you simple explanations and ideas for wiring in the game. For example, they might explain what a bird engine is to you, or what you can use certain wiring items in your inventory for. If you have no wiring items or tools, they could tell you to buy them from the mechanic. If you have a monster statue in your inventory, they could tell you how you can use it in your wiring.
This goes on, and they explain many things, from trap applications, to using torch as LEDs. More complex topics can be accompanied by little screencap bubbles.

Finally, we get to the meat of the matter: what are microchips used for?
Well, microchips can be used at an anvil to create logic chips.

"Bitpie? What the heck is a logic chip?"

Well! A logic chip is a wiring device that can be used to more finely manipulate wiring mechanisms. I have a great example of one below; meet the "AND" Chip!

andgates_by_bitpiestudios-d8x4h9z.gif

The "AND" Chip is a 2 tile high block wiring item. It is placed much like a 1 second timer is.

How does it work? Well, each light is an activation. 3 lights appear if 3 wires are connected to it. You attach the wires to turn it on on the bottom tile, and the signal that activates when the chip is fully active is attached right above the green part.

So, for example, I could attach 3 seperate pressure plates to the "AND" Chip, and let the "AND" Chip activate a one second timer once all plates are pressed. Here is the tile sheet I made for it.

andgate_by_bitpiestudios-d8x4ha3.png

This is not the only chip! There are more you could make, such as...

Random Chip: if attached to multiple wires, it will randomly send a signal to one of them on activation.

Chaotic Chip: same as random chip, except it may send a signal to one wire, all wires, or even no wire at all!

Off Chip: if attached to multiple mechanisms, it turns all of them to their inactive states. This works even if one thing is on while another is off; the off thing stays off!

On Chip: same as off chip, except turns everything on, and keeps on things on!

Perma Chip: a chip that can only be turned off by manual clicking. Acts like a lock of sorts: anything it is attached to stays on. For example, if I attach this chip to an unlit torch, and activate the chip via pressure plate, then the torch will stay on, no matter how many times I hit the plate afterward.

Semi-Perma Chip: same as above, except also affected by on and off chips.

-------------------------------------------------------------

That is all I have for this so far! Hopefully this idea is appealing to you guys. Let me know what you think/ what I should improve!

Also, sorry for lack of recipes.

Seems cool, I guess. I just skimmed it. Why does it matter whether the NPC is a boy or girl? Also, you don't actually need a new NPC, just add this to the machanic? Good idea, though

Seems cool, I guess. I just skimmed it. Why does it matter whether the NPC is a boy or girl? Also, you don't actually need a new NPC, just add this to the machanic? Good idea, though

I actually couldn't decide between boy or girl, tbh.

Also, if you had read the Teach info, you'd had seen that the programmer would have an option like the guide, only exclusively geared toward building with more complexity in wiring.

But I guess that could be added to the mechanic, for simplicity sake. :U

These chip things make me hungry. But I support because making a computer in terraria that computes stuff would be computingly easy to compute with my computer.

I actually couldn't decide between boy or girl, tbh.
How about purposefully ambiguous?

I support your idea. Logic gates would do a lot in this kind of game. Now that we talk about it how about adding transistors into the game? Maybe also add a way to quickly stack logic gates together to support more input without requiring much more space?

Forgot. Should also make terrible puns about computing world, like how it hurts when "I pee," complaining about "six bees," and craving raspberry pies.

Last edited:
You did not add 'Neo' as a possible male and 'Trinity' as a possible female name?

The shame!

Should be male. That way, we don't have both our tech NPCs the same gender.
[DOUBLEPOST=1437644104,1437643621][/DOUBLEPOST]When you click 'teach' there should be a sort of search bar. When you ask about a popular mechanism that's pre-programmed into a list of lessons,it tells you about techniques of making that build (with screenshots and tips). Whatcha think?

Back
Top Bottom