PC [Finished!] Castlevania SOTN. A To-Scale Replica of Dracula's Castle.

It won't go back and forth if the player gets too far away from the bird because the bird will despawn. You should try to make things like this with dart traps or spear traps. Then player range is never a problem.
Good idea. I'll have to make the length longer I think, cuz spears and darts are fast, the bird is slow so by the time he hits the plates, the delay gives it that swings back and forth feel? Trying to match the looks, functionality, and timing as close as possible to the games swinging pendulum.

You can also use water and honey to slow darts down. Honey slows down darts more than water or lava which both slow the darts the same. If you use spear traps you can set them to hit a teal plate at their max range and use them to trigger the next spear trap. This is also how a spear trap engine works.

You can also use water and honey to slow darts down. Honey slows down darts more than water or lava which both slow the darts the same. If you use spear traps you can set them to hit a teal plate at their max range and use them to trigger the next spear trap. This is also how a spear trap engine works.
That is genius! Are there any wiring guides here on the forum with useful info like this? I've searched around and learned a lot, but sometimes I have specific questions I cannot find an answer for. Has anyone compiled an up-to-date wiring mechanics guide?

Well not with everything, but there are guides for the basic functions of wiring and logic gates.
Off hand I don't have the links but I'm sure you can search for them.

Well, if you want it to be "swingy" you'll need to vary the distance between pressure plates. Since we flattened the pendulum, our best bet would be to make it work like a harmonic oscillator, with the same period as the original pendulum.

Well, if you want it to be "swingy" you'll need to vary the distance between pressure plates. Since we flattened the pendulum, our best bet would be to make it work like a harmonic oscillator, with the same period as the original pendulum.

I didn't know how else to do it other than flat. Making spheres that do the actual "u u" swing pattern are beyond my skill level. Unrelated question: Are there any Aesthetic builder groups? I could definately use a hand in that department in a few areas of the castle.

I didn't know how else to do it other than flat. Making spheres that do the actual "u u" swing pattern are beyond my skill level.

It is actually fine as it is. I just meant you could adjust the timing a bit.

Unrelated question: Are there any Aesthetic builder groups? I could definately use a hand in that department in a few areas of the castle.

I'm not really into the whole artistic stuff, but I heard some things about the Obsidian Academy.

That sounds like a pain.

Anyways, here's a simpler, smoother, faster, and more convenient elevator:

[Normal]
View attachment 176596
[Wire]
View attachment 176597

Just flip the switch while standing in the Granite area and you'll be moved upwards or downwards. It won't require any maintenance as long as it goes up after going down, and down after going up. If you find yourself needing to use it to go the same direction two times in a row, press the lever and it'll reset itself.

I combined your dart idea with some others. The outer wall elevator is 84 blocks tall, and 3 floors to stop at. I had to fill the tube with honey to slow the dart, otherwise it was too fast and would not carry a player upwards. The middle floor required some crazy math to figure out, as it is not directly in the middle of the 84 block shaft.

In this pic the left side controls the top and bottom floors, going up and down. The right side controls the middle floors up and down (which is different). Tomorrow I'm going to remove the left side entirely, and connect the top and bottom portion of the right side's wiring so that engine does all three floors, in all directions. In the pic you can see I've already got the darts setup on the right side, top and bottom, but it's getting late and I have to work in the morning.

Capture 2017-07-26 22_12_04.png

new elevator.gif

I would use 2 player sensors with a flip-flop gate so when the player hits the sensor closer to the fountain it turns to blood and when they hit the sensor going away it turns back to water.
I removed the timers entirely. I tried player sensors. Their detection box is so small, I had to use multiple ones to blanket the fountain area. This resulted in overlapping fields, which make for "blind spots" where I'm technically standing in 2 or 3 fields at the same time, but the water isn't changing color. Almost as if the game doesn't know which field to use, so it uses none. I tried to space them out to avoid overlap, but that resulted in gaps between fields, where the water would switch back to blue for a split second, before red when I entered the next field.

I ended up with this mess. Which covers almost everywhere. There are still 2 blindspots right next to the bottom of the fountain, and 4 on the fountain and ontop.

Capture 2017-07-27 14_30_19.png

I am unsure how to totally fix this, but I'm more pleased with this design than my old one.

I removed the timers entirely. I tried player sensors. Their detection box is so small, I had to use multiple ones to blanket the fountain area. This resulted in overlapping fields, which make for "blind spots" where I'm technically standing in 2 or 3 fields at the same time, but the water isn't changing color. Almost as if the game doesn't know which field to use, so it uses none. I tried to space them out to avoid overlap, but that resulted in gaps between fields, where the water would switch back to blue for a split second, before red when I entered the next field.
connect the sensors to an OR gate with as many lamps as there are sensors, so they work like a whole field.

Wow, you don't need that many sensors. `:D
The way the player sensors works is they send a pulse when the player enters the field and then another when they exit the field.
So where is the logic gates for these sensors. You need to put in something to keep them from just switching on and off any time a player enters or leaves one of the fields.

You should probably start using Actuators instead of Active Stone, just to make it easier to make it look right.
Still deciding on this. Its 84 blocks tall and 2 wide. That's 168 actuators with pink brink. If I leave it as active/inactive stone, no actuators are required and I can just paint it all pink. With actuators I have to worry about an additional 168 peices, that if just one of them is accidentally broken, the machine wont function properly. Less to worry about with just active/inactive stone.
Go the extra mile for true aesthetics or take the easy way... I am torn.

I always go the extra mile. But that's just me. I always put way too much detail into my art work. Also it's super easy to do if you are using TEdit. Those numbers are nothing for TEdit. `:happy:

Still deciding on this. Its 84 blocks tall and 2 wide. That's 168 actuators with pink brink. If I leave it as active/inactive stone, no actuators are required and I can just paint it all pink. With actuators I have to worry about an additional 168 peices, that if just one of them is accidentally broken, the machine wont function properly. Less to worry about with just active/inactive stone.
Go the extra mile for true aesthetics or take the easy way... I am torn.

Always go the extra mile. And if you're using actuators, there is a tool to fix actuated blocks without wires involved. thus making it easier to repair.

Also, I'd honestly suggest shrinking the mechanism to only lift or lower the player to the next stop based on the switch used. Yes, this means multiple engines (two up engines, two down engines) but it'd be the best way to replicate how it works in game.

Always go the extra mile. And if you're using actuators, there is a tool to fix actuated blocks without wires involved. thus making it easier to repair.

Also, I'd honestly suggest shrinking the mechanism to only lift or lower the player to the next stop based on the switch used. Yes, this means multiple engines (two up engines, two down engines) but it'd be the best way to replicate how it works in game.
Fixed. I snipped 6 wires in the middle and removed the 2 pressure plates that caused the signal to continue to the next half of the machine. Bottom levels "up" now goes to the middle, not to the very top, and vice versa.

Iirc in game, Alucard has to hold up or down to go up or down. So if he's at the bottom floor and hits up, the elevator takes him up to the middle, where it stops. If you are still holding up when it gets to the middle floor, the stop is brief, a short half-second and it then takes you to the top, giving the illusion it's an "all the way up" trip (because you held up when u entered, and when it hit the middle floor). I'm going to charge my PSP and load C:SOTN and play with the in-game elevator.

I could add 2 additional switches, at the top and bottom, for "all the down" and "all the way up", and put the 6 wire 2 plate "continue" crossover back in. Thoughts?

Fixed. I snipped 6 wires in the middle and removed the 2 pressure plates that caused the signal to continue to the next half of the machine. Bottom levels "up" now goes to the middle, not to the very top, and vice versa.

Iirc in game, Alucard has to hold up or down to go up or down. So if he's at the bottom floor and hits up, the elevator takes him up to the middle, where it stops. If you are still holding up when it gets to the middle floor, the stop is brief, a short half-second and it then takes you to the top, giving the illusion it's an "all the way up" trip (because you held up when u entered, and when it hit the middle floor). I'm going to charge my PSP and load C:SOTN and play with the in-game elevator.

I could add 2 additional switches, at the top and bottom, for "all the down" and "all the way up", and put the 6 wire 2 plate "continue" crossover back in. Thoughts?

I think the elevator is fine like that.
Btw, how are you doing with the teleporters? I have a few ideas, if you need any help.

Back
Top Bottom