PC [Finished!] Castlevania SOTN. A To-Scale Replica of Dracula's Castle.

DRKV spent some time in the Castle recently. He designed this nifty transporter hub to simulate the "must visit each room first before they link up to each other" aspect of the castles warp-rooms. It worked at first, but then we began having issues as logic gates seemed to just stop functioning. The Dummy ghost escaped at one point as well. We speculate these issues may have been due to a bad connection or extreme lag. He did disconnect several times.

Capture 2017-07-30 14_05_19.png

DRKV spent some time in the Castle recently. He designed this nifty transporter hub to simulate the "must visit each room first before they link up to each other" aspect of the castles warp-rooms. It worked at first, but then we began having issues as logic gates seemed to just stop functioning. The Dummy ghost escaped at one point as well. We speculate these issues may have been due to a bad connection or extreme lag. He did disconnect several times.

This is a bit more complicated than my own method, which will work based on wire activation order.
http://imgur.com/a/dGrZB Check here for more on my method.

This is a bit more complicated than my own method, which will work based on wire activation order.
http://imgur.com/a/dGrZB Check here for more on my method.

I did it this way, because there are already wires coming from each teleporter to one spot on the debug room. So it should just work after a copy-paste.
So, while looking at that picture of my hub above, I noticed a few misaligned logic gate lamps. I probably messed them up when I spliced together the six portal version. I fixed it, and I also upgraded the dummy engine, which should help with teleporting from more than a 1000 blocks away. I've attached the download.

Attachments

• Teleporter_and _other_thing.wld
    90.4 KB · Views: 123
I updated the original post an added this. Its a list of machines that I've yet to create. Any help with these would be greatly apprecaited.

Ideas for future machines:

1. Working clock in the center of the castle. The 16x16 room design of the actual game limits how ellaborate a clock I can make within the space allotted in Terraria. If I could squeeze an actual analogue clock face into the small space available it could only show perhaps the noon/mightnight, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock hands. Space for wiring/machinery is also somewhat limited in that area, so nothing too grandiose. I'm thinking I'll have to settle for a simple digital clock display instead, which saddens me greatly. There are two statues above the clock, on the left and right. The left side statue moves away revealing a secret passage into another area every 60 seconds. I can do this simply enough with timers. The right side statue only moves away when Alucard uses the Stop-Watch subitem in the clockroom. This may require a Gem to activate.

2. Mist-Form Gates. There are several areas of the castle that are inaccessable until after Alucard has obtained a special relic/power called "Form of Mist" which allows him to turn his body into a cloud of mist and slip past the gates that previously blocked his path.
So far I have two ideas to recreate this:
1. Hoik gates that when activated would pull him through.
2. Actuated block gates, deactivated by a Gem (aquired where he gets Form of Mist).

3. Spike Corridor. There is an entire hallway near the Bell Towers that is lined with spikes on both the floor and ceiling. It is inaccessable until Alucard has aquired the Spike-Breaker armor in the Catacombs (or through use of a glitch). I think I can recreate this easily enough by using actuators to push the spikes into the background, if spikes can be actuated (Haven't tested).

4. Marble Gallery Ghost Hallway. There is a decent sized area in the lower Marble Gallery, where Ghost-Heads continously spawn while Alucard is in proximity to that area. I think I can recreate this by putting 200+ Meteor blocks in the floors, to create an artifical Meteor biome and force Meteor-Heads to spawn (Which coincidentally look and behave almost exactly like the Ghost-Heads).

5. Breakable Walls/Ceilings/Floors. There are dozens of places in the games castle where a wall is breakable to reveal an item, or a floor/ceiling is breakable to reveal a new path. While I do not want any block destruction inside the castle for obvious reasons (explosives are a no-no), I want to create this effect of "hidden areas/items". Currently working on idea's to work around actual explosions or destruction of blocks and also, how to hide the items inside where they should be.

6. Music-Boxs in the floor for Area-Specific music. Would mostly be under CD Load rooms that seperate two different areas, and/or the beginning/end of areas. I found a thread that taught me how to make my own custom wave-bank and have started replacing Terraria music with the actual games music. This is a project in and of itself.

7. Custom Lighting. The only lighting inside the castle, as of right now, is lights placed where they are in the actual game. This leaves a lot of the castle SUPER DARK in Terraria. Once the castle is complete, I plan to add custom lighting to each area wired up to a switch or puzzle to turn them on, as an added bonus feature.

For the sake of "breakable" surfaces. My concept was to use the Teal Pressure Pad, which is only able to be hit with projectiles.

As for the music boxes, The issue you'd run into is that you can replace the wave-banks but that only affects your end without the user going through and changing them on their end.

For the mist gates you could actuate a couple of slanted blocks next to the wall, when you unlock Form Of Mist.
KwHOOTL.png
E4tSvSB.png

This kinda creates the effect of passing through the gate.

I think an analog clock with 4 or maybe 8 positions shouldn't be that complicated. Just a timer and a bunch of linear counters. Now that we have day/night sensors, you could use those to keep clock accurate.

The block breaking thing is tricky. Teal pads might work, but you need to mount them strategically, and you also have to give the player a ranged weapon.
If you are willing to use mods, I can make something. I could make a simple TModLoader mod with a set of blocks and a special pick to mine to mine them. I could also try to make a more complicated mod with blocks that you can break with a weapon, and then maybe a way to reset all of them. I am not sure how to do that one, I'm new to terraria modding.

For the sake of "breakable" surfaces. My concept was to use the Teal Pressure Pad, which is only able to be hit with projectiles.

As for the music boxes, The issue you'd run into is that you can replace the wave-banks but that only affects your end without the user going through and changing them on their end.
I could put the custom wave-bank in the folder with the map though, so when its completed and people download it, the music is in there ready to go. If I put the appropriate boxes throughout the castle, then it'll play that areas music when you enter and activate the box.

I've finished block-placement building phase in the castle this morning. Every area is "built". Now I'm revisiting areas, finishing off areas that need background, decorating, painting, correcting errors and running wire everywhere for all the machines, engines, and teleporters to all the boss arenas.

Last edited:
I could put the custom wave-bank in the folder with the map though, so when its completed and people download it, the music is in there ready to go. If I put the appropriate boxes throughout the castle, then it'll play that areas music when you enter and activate the box.
[doublepost=1501961872,1501723024][/doublepost]UPDATE: Finished building this morning. All areas are now done block-wise. The remainder of the work is light. Mostly decorations, furniture, and other aesthetics. Four area's require some background work. I'm going to open a thread similar to this one in the Obsidian Academy, maybe I can peek the interest of some aesthetic builders who might have suggestions for changes or tips and tricks I can utilize. There is still some wire-work to be done (statues that spawn monsters in areas ect), and a few machines I haven't gotten around to. Some people suggested since all the castles boss rooms are too small for actual boss battles to take place in, that I add teleporters (and maybe paintings as a nod to Castlevania Portrait of Ruin) that links to much bigger mockups of the same room where Terraria bosses can actually be fought. I approached my friend GhostSlime (who made the Alucard Pixel Art) and asked him about making more Pixel art (of the bosses) that I could put in the backgrounds of the giant rooms.

I still have a few questions and ideas I'd like to post here.
1. What block to use for "sealed doors" or barricades that block progression. At first I was going to use Lizardhin, however it is not able to be actuated underground. So I changed to Titanstone. Someone suggested Orichalcum Ore. What is the strongest block besides Lizardhin? IE Requires an end-game pickaxe to break.

2. End-Game Credits (actual game credits plus Terrarians who've helped). I know of no easy way to make credits via announcement boxes.
My idea was to make an area off to the side of the map, and using platforms and letter statues, replicate the games credits. The player, after having beaten the game, would teleport to the top, and either drink a slow-fall potion and fall, or just fall (and periodically hit cobwebs to slow them) down a shaft, where the credits would roll past them on the side as they fell. They would land in a pool of water or have their fall broken by cobwebs again, then be teleported to a final area with fireworks and maybe a minecart ride.

Everyone whose posted here and helped, or helped in game's names will be listed in the credits. If you have a preference other than your handle used on this forum, please PM me or reply below. I will be asking for beta testers soon in the coming weeks, if interested please let me know. I'll keep posting and updating occasionaly until it is 100% play-ready.

You've done some amazing work. I cant wait to play around with the map. :)
I believe the next hardest thing to mine would be Chlorophyte or Luminite ore, both requiring the drax.
Recreating the credits with statues sounds like a ton of work, but it would look pretty epic.

Careful of cut pasting dummys. At least with TEdit a while ago, it would move the sprite, but not delete the original dummy ghost, result being that I would always place the dummys in game.

Revisited a few areas. Adding details, furniture, painting and fixing and correcting errors i spot.
Heres some pics.
Castle Keep.png

Chapel.png

Outerwall.png
[doublepost=1505658433,1505586070][/doublepost]
Capture 2017-09-17 10_08_54.png
prison.png

Capture 2017-09-17 10_07_36.png

Capture 2017-09-17 10_08_27.png
Capture 2017-09-17 10_09_46.png
[doublepost=1511633223][/doublepost]Been so busy building, and then irl job, holidays ect I haven't posted in awhile. Here is something new I've been working on:
It's the first hallway in the game, where zombies constantly spawn every few seconds so long as the player is in the area.
Capture 2017-11-25 12_34_18.png

It uses the same design as the blood water fountain machine in Olroxs Quarters (which I can and need to revisit and make much smaller now).
At first I built this, the exact same as the blood fountain. When done I had 23 lamps (one for each sensor) above the gate. Dr. Cat and DRKV suggested trying less, and having all the sensors on only two colors. It works. As long as the player is anywhere inside the hallway, a pulse is being sent to the 3 and 5 second timers that are spawning zombies.

Because you dont need a lamp for every sensor, I need to redesign the old blood water fountain, it still uses one lamp per sensor and can be reduced in size considerable. I'm still learning logic gates, so machines and engines often go through several iterations until I find the smallest most efficient way to achieve my desired effects.

Only problems with this as is are:
1. During the day all the zombies just run to the right and ignore the player (Daytime AI causes them to flea instead of engage and hunt the player).
2. I was worried about the player being overwhelmed by the amount of enemies so early on with no gear or weapons really, but during testing both Dr. Cat and DRKV managed to clear their way through with just a spear easily enough.
3. Doesn't feel as random (spawn wise) as the game. Only two timers, and the whole pattern of spawning is easily discernible after only a couple of seconds in the hallway.

Thoughts, ideas, and feedback are greatly appreciated.

3. Doesn't feel as random (spawn wise) as the game. Only two timers, and the whole pattern of spawning is easily discernible after only a couple of seconds in the hallway.
You could make the timer faster, like twice as fast, but add a faulty logic gate to only activate each statue with a 50% chance, or something like that.

You could make the timer faster, like twice as fast, but add a faulty logic gate to only activate each statue with a 50% chance, or something like that.
alternatively you can change the odds by adding more on/off lamps to make different percentages. (1 in 3, 1 in 4, 3 in 14, etc)

Mhh have you finished this sir?
Close to finished. I haven't updated the thread in a long time. I've done a lot more work since the last time I updated, but then worked slowed due to real life issues. My sister passed away, and several other awful things have happened. 2018 has not been good to me. I fell into a spell of depression for a few months, but began working again recently. Why do you ask?

I love and i will love forever castlevania and so i really love this project.
Im sorry for your lost but you mustnt give up for anything in the world!

Close to finished. I haven't updated the thread in a long time. I've done a lot more work since the last time I updated, but then worked slowed due to real life issues. My sister passed away, and several other awful things have happened. 2018 has not been good to me. I fell into a spell of depression for a few months, but began working again recently. Why do you ask?
I had no idea you had it this rough. I hope things will get better for you in the future.

Update: Finally Finished castle 1. Copied, and pasted it upside down. Now I'm on to Phase 2 Running through the inverted castle fixing what the C and P broke, some custom wire inventions, and placing items in chests, ect, before final looks and some play testing. Shooting for an October release. Should give me plenty of time to finish and maybe even add back in some extras that I slated to the cutting room floor. Anyway, here's some recent pics and a teaser trailer a friend made for me.

Attachments

• castle.png
    castle.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 132
  • Sword Room.png
    Sword Room.png
    526.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Clocktower.png
    Clocktower.png
    569.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Library.png
    Library.png