Project: Monster Book and Monster Pets! (Looking for FEEDBACK, and sprite artists)

How does this mod idea sound so far?

• It sounds great! I will support it by giving feedback, or other things

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I do not like it. I will give feedback to help you improve it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not like the core idea at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Iara

Official Terrarian
Monster Book and Monster Pets!
(pending logo)

I have always been in love with Digimon, Neopets, Maplestory's familiar system and I am even fond of Pokémon. The idea of getting new pets is appealing to me. I like Terraria's pet system, but I can't help but feel it is underutilised by both the devs and the community (there are only 26 pets in the desktop version).

What I look in mods is something that can be in the base game, and not stand out, yet provide a much needed experience from Vanilla Terraria. My mod will try to do just that, and I will try not to break game balance. I am a purist at heart (because Terraria is a great game!), so I am very picky with mods. I want this mod to fit in with Terraria just fine, and to be balanced. I want this mod to be something that people who dislike the modding scene consider, and install.

FAQ
What does this potential mod try to accomplish?

It seek the rework the pet mechanic: Pets will still be only cosmetic, but there will be an 'art' about collecting them.
First- The pet system is going to be reworked, particularly to remove these flaws.
  1. Pets unable to catch up with players, or needing to teleport- Propeller Gato and Hoardragon prove that you can make a fast pet that will not lose the target. This mod would try to increase the FLYING MODE speed of all pets (The mod is currently at this stage. Pet base speed and AIs are being tinkered)
  2. Remove splashing sound when some pets enter a liquid- It's distracting, specially when you are fishing. Companion Cube, Hoardragon and Propeller Gato do not make this noise. No other pet should either
  3. Random fixes to some AI issues.
  4. Probably nerf the Cursed Sapling. It is far too good, and trivialises other pets.
  5. Find a way to make pet buffs not count as a buff (since there is a limit) - Subject to much balancing. Pets are mostly statless, but maybe to make it worth a spot, they could replace a buff when there are too many? But no idea how hard this would be to code. It really needs a lot of discussion.
Second- Brand new pets will appear! Read below for more info

Third- A brand new feature will be added- The Monster Book. To keep track of all the pets you have used! Read below for more info

What kind of "new pets" does this mod seeks to add?
The pets of this mod are the very same mobs you slain in Terraria! Every mob will have their own pet version, which can be crafted and then used to summon a pet (remember: Pets are ONLY vanity!). These pets will have all sorts of AI on how to move, slightly based on their regular game AI.
This is true for almost all monsters that exist in the game, except for the old one's army, or some boss servants/attacks.

How can these pets be obtained?
They all can be crafted. Their recipes require 1 Mana Crystal + 1 monster banner, on a Demon or Crimtson Altar. But they will also be able to be crafted by 1 Mana Crystal + Items that represent the mob. It could be their drops, or their biome blocks. This is particularly true for monsters whose banners are useful, or hard to get.

What about this "Monster Book"? How does it works?
The Monster Book is supposed to be a feature that let's you visualize all monster in the pets, as dark silhouettes. Once you get their pet summoning item for the first time, you will get info about the monster in question. This info is very simple one, like their habitat, and a small flavour text.
This feature is what will be what helps you collect the monsters, as you will be able to check which ones are missing. I also thought of maybe adding other functions and goodies the Monster Book, but these are tentative and in progress. There is, for example, an idea of giving rewards for getting each pet, or rewards for finishing a "set".
This feature will be worked on when the core part of the mod, the actual pets, is at least thoroughly progressed.

What is this mod looking for at the moment?

I decided to finally make this thread to collect feedback from the users, and also to hope I can attract spriters or coders. I do have one coder at my disposition, currently. We have done the bullet point 1 (fixing catching up speed), and are slowly but surely working through all the other points. While we both work on that, it wouldn't hurt to have spriters, reviewers, and feedback givers! The best way to make success is to have people find your flaws, and I am sure this idea or its execution is not stellar, considering this is my first project.
What this mods needs right now is:

1. People who can review this idea, and give suggestions, opinions and messages.
  2. Spriters who would be interested in helping with this mod idea. (You will know what to do when we write the pet AI. It's mostly flying animations, or sprite alterations on monsters.)
  3. Coders or spriters who would like to help with the "monster book", when it starts being worked on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The following is an example of future recipes, and balancing. I need help and feedback. Please, examine the recipes by clicking the spoiler, and tell me what you think. I need particular feedback with rarity tiers. Can't move to hardmode enemies until I finish pre-hardmode ones. At the moment it will only show recipes. But the monster's potential pet AI patterns will be displayed here later, so keep checking.

1. All pet summon items recipes are crafted at a Demon or Crimson Altar.
  2. All monsters have a minimum of two recipes to craft their items. The first recipe will always include their banner. (Each line is a different recipe)
  3. All pet summon items (including vanilla ones) are immune to lava.
  4. All pet summon items (excluding vanilla ones) have no sell value.
  5. All pet summon items have the basic vanilla properties (max stack. 1 - type: pet summon - use time: 19 - Tooltip usually "summons a friendly X")

$

Green Slime
(Rarity tier -1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x50

$

Blue Slime
(Rarity tier -1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x100

$

Purple Slime
(Rarity tier -1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x200

$

Zombie
(Rarity tier -1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Armed Zombie
(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1: (Item that summons pet Zombie) x1
+
$
x1
Recipe 2: (Item that summons pet Zombie) x1 +
$
x1
•Also, might be planned to be a reward for getting other pets. Currently in planning phase.•

$

Demon Eye
(Rarity tier -1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x33
Recipe 3:
$
x1

$

Raven
(Rarity tier 3)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x25
•Also, might be planned to be a reward for getting other pets. Currently in planning phase.•

$

Goblin Scout

(Rarity tier 3)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x40 +
$
x1 +
$
x1998

$

Pinky

(Rarity tier 8)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x500 +
$
x1

$

Ice Slime
(Rarity tier -1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x50 +
$
x100

$

Zombie Eskimo
(Rarity tier -1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1
Recipe 4:
$
x1

$

Armed Zombie
(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1: (Item that summons pet Zombie Eskimo) x1
+
$
x1
Recipe 2: (Item that summons pet Zombie Eskimo) x1 +
$
x1

$

Sand Slime
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x200 +
$
x200

$

Vulture
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x150 +
$
x150

$

Antlion
(
Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x20 +
$
x200

$

Angry Tumbler
(Rarity tier 3)

Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x999 +
$
x3

$

Jungle Slime
(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x500 +
$
x500 +
$
x5

$

Jungle Bat
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x500 +
$
x5

$

Piranha

(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1

$

Snatcher
(Rarity tier 3)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x500 +
$
x5

$

Zombie
(Rarity tier -1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Armed Zombie
(Rarity tier 2)

Recipe 1: (Item that summons pet Zombie) x1
+
$
x1
Recipe 2: (Item that summons pet Zombie) x1 +
$
x1

$

Demon Eye
(Rarity tier -1)

Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x33
Recipe 3:
$
x1

$

Doctor Bones

(Rarity tier 11)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x1 +
$
x25

$

Eater of Souls
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x100

$

Devourer
(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x100

$

Crimera

(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x100

$

Face Monster
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x100

$

Blood Crawler
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x100

$

Pink Jellyfish
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x25 +
$
x1

$

Crab
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Squid

(Rarity tier 6)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x5 +
$
x150 +
$
x4 +
$
x10

$

Sea Snail

(Rarity tier 8)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x300 +
$
x8 +
$
x20

$

Shark
(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Harpy
(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Blue Slime
(Rarity tier -1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x100

$

Red Slime
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x150 +
$
x150 +
$
x1

$

Yellow Slime
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x250 +
$
x300 +
$
x1

$

Giant Worm
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x999 +
$
x1

$

Blue Jellyfish
(Rarity tier 0)

Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Pinky

(Rarity tier 8)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x500 +
$
x1

$

Giant Worm
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x999 +
$
x1

$

Blue Jellyfish
(Rarity tier 0)

Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Piranha

(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1

$

Cave Bat
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Black Slime
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x300 +
$
x150 +
$
x1

$

Mother Slime
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x500 +
$
x300 +
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x300 +
$
x1 +
$
x1

$

Baby Slime
(Rarity tier 1)

•Planned to be a reward for getting other pets. Currently in planning phase.•

$

Skeleton
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1
Recipe 4:
$
x1

$

Crawdad

(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1 +
$
x50
•Also, might be a reward for getting "Giant Shelly" and "Crawdad" pets. Currently in planning phase.•

$

Giant Shelly

(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1 +
$
x50
•Also, might be a reward for getting "Crawdad" and "Salamander" pets. Currently in planning phase.•

$

Salamander

(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1 +
$
x50
•Also, might be a reward for getting "Crawdad" and "Giant Shelly" pets. Currently in planning phase.•

$

Undead Miner

(Rarity tier 7)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1
Recipe 4:
$
x1

$

Cochineal Beetle

(Rarity tier 6)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x10 +
$
x10

$

Nymph
(Rarity tier 11)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x100

$

Tim

(Rarity tier 5)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x100

$

Pinky
(Rarity tier 8)

Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x500 +
$
x1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Last edited:
$

Wall Creeper
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Granite Elemental
(Rarity tier 3)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x350

$

Granite Golem
(Rarity tier 1)

Recipe 1:
$
x1

Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Hoplite
(Rarity tier 3)
Recipe 1:
$
x1

Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Blue Jellyfish
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Piranha

(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1

$

Cave Bat
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Ice Bat

(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x500 +
$
x1

$

Spiked Ice Slime

(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x500 +
$
x500 +
$
x1

$

Snow Flinx
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x350
Recipe 3:
$
x1

$

Undead Viking
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1

$

Cyan Beetle

(Rarity tier 6)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x10 +
$
x10

$

Undead Miner
(Rarity tier 7)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1
Recipe 4:
$
x1

$

Nymph
(Rarity tier 11)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x100

$

Antlion
(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x20 +
$
x200

$

Antlion Charger

(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x50+
$
x50 +
$
x50
Recipe 3:
$
x1

$

Antlion Swarmer

(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x50 +
$
x50 +
$
x50

$

Tomb Crawler

(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x100 +
$
x150

$

Piranha

(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1

$

Jungle Bat
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x500 +
$
x5

$

Spiked Jungle Slime

(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x800 +
$
x50

$

Hornet

(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x50 +
$
x50

$

Man Eater
(Rarity tier 3)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x999 +
$
x10

$

Lac Beetle
(Rarity tier 6)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x10 +
$
x10

$

Doctor Bones
(Rarity tier 11)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1 +
$
x1 +
$
x25

$
$

Bee
(Rarity tier 0)
•Planned to be a reward for getting other pets. Currently in planning phase.•

$

Angry Bones
(Rarity tier 1)???
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x300????

$

Dungeon Slime
(Rarity tier 3)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x999
+
$
x10 +
$
x1

$

Lava Slime

(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1998
+
$
x5 +
$
x3

$

Hellbat
(Rarity tier 2)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

Recipe 3:
$
x150
+
$
x3

$

Fire Imp
(Rarity tier 3)
Recipe 1:
$
x1

Recipe 2:
$
x1

Recipe 3:
$
x500
+
$
x1

$

Bone Serpent
(Rarity tier 3)
Recipe 1:
$
x1

Recipe 2:
$
x5994

$

Flying Fish
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x100

$

Umbrella Slime
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1

$

Raincoat Zombie
(Rarity tier 1)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x1
Recipe 3:
$
x1

$

Meteor Head

(Rarity tier 0)
Recipe 1:
$
x1
Recipe 2:
$
x50

Last edited:
CHANGELOG

(Current iteration: MonsterPet AI fixes (V0.2.0.1)

05/02/19 - Managed to fix the AI of vanilla pets with coder. (All except Truffle, who might need a complete rework of pet AI)
07/02/19 - Thread created, now looking for feedback, as well as spriters who are interested.
09/02/19 - Thread edited to include a clearer distinction between recipes, also this changelog was added!

Last edited:
This sounds like a very interesting idea,
and if I can help with brainstorming, I'm here.

First of all though, in some part - perticularly the book - it reminds me of the bestiary from suggestions. maybe world worth checking out that too, and potencially do some sort of collab?

as for the recipes... I dunno. statues are kind of random. even though they aren't rare per-se, it really depends on chance to find one. and banners... it sounds like the best and most obvious for most monsters. slimes, zombies, etc. etc. but there are some exceptions, I would think. rare monsters, such as undead miner, nymph, Tim, Dr. Bones, etc. are extremely rare, it would be nearly impossible to get their banners without cheating.
There are also monsters that have no banner of their own, (perticularly hardmode monsters such as diggers and moss hornets) and there are also monsters that go extinct / get replaced by other monsters in hardmode (wall creepers --> black recluses, giant worms --> diggers (wall creepers can be spawned with statues even in hardmode, but giant worms have no statue)
also, out of the salamander, crawdad, giant shelly group, only 2 are natives to a world, getting all 3 banners would mean you need to farm for them at least in 2 worlds (and they are pretty rare too)

then... how would some pet monsters move? monsters that walk or fly sounds easy, like, vanilla pets. but what about worms? plants? swimming monsters?

This sounds like a very interesting idea,
and if I can help with brainstorming, I'm here.

Hi there! Thank you for your reply! I will reply to each of your points!

First of all though, in some part - perticularly the book - it reminds me of the bestiary from suggestions. maybe world worth checking out that too, and potencially do some sort of collab?
Oh, is it there any bestiary idea? Do you mind if you link me to it? I would love to check it out!

as for the recipes... I dunno. statues are kind of random. even though they aren't rare per-se, it really depends on chance to find one.

Oh, you checked the recipes, right? Statues are basically "if you get a statue, you can get infinite banners from the monster, so what's the point". That's my basis for it, but maybe I should add a third alternative?

but there are some exceptions, I would think. rare monsters, such as undead miner, nymph, Tim, Dr. Bones, etc. are extremely rare, it would be nearly impossible to get their banners without cheating.
Yup. That's why those have extra recipes. Like Nymph needing golden chests, and Dr Bones needing life crystals. Something that proves you have explored their biomes a while. I might change Dr. Bones recipe to Jungle Spores. Rare monsters need a lot of tinkering so that they are hard to get, but not impossible. Feel free to check the tentative rare monster recipes in the "caverns" section!

There are also monsters that have no banner of their own, (perticularly hardmode monsters such as diggers and moss hornets) and there are also monsters that go extinct / get replaced by other monsters in hardmode (wall creepers --> black recluses, giant worms --> diggers (wall creepers can be spawned with statues even in hardmode, but giant worms have no statue)
Yup. That's fixed with alternative recipes. For example: The Wall creeper pet requires a statue, and it can also require cobweb.
Giant worm only requires some dirt. And Diggers might require a giant worm banner + hardmode soul items.

also, out of the salamander, crawdad, giant shelly group, only 2 are natives to a world, getting all 3 banners would mean you need to farm for them at least in 2 worlds (and they are pretty rare too)
Those are so difficult to fix. I will have to contact my coder and ask if he can tell when a monster has only 2. If so, the third will be accessible with a special recipe. If not, I will just make them all use a standard recipe with the item "Rally".

then... how would some pet monsters move? monsters that walk or fly sounds easy, like, vanilla pets. but what about worms? plants? swimming monsters?
Plants are easy. They can use a version of the Vulture pet AI, and stay static, then disappear when the player is away, OR maybe they could latch on the player when it moves too fast. Also, we could have a new sprite for plants, with them being on a moving plant pot with legs, where they will walk just fine.
Swimming monsters might just as well fly, or flop around like piranhas and jellyfish do.
Worms are the hardest. Currently, my idea is making them burrow around the player, and make MASSIVE burrow jumps to chase them.

Here's the suggestion with the bestiary

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-archaeologist-bestiary.76226/

Oh, I see. yeah, statue spawned monsters should drop their banner too. but there are quite some monsters that have no statues...

and I think I misunderstood it before. so it's not like, "banner + item + item" but having 2 or more alternative recipes for the item? then, yeah, I think that sounds right. for rare monsters too. some changes might could be done, but yeah, sounds possible to get those stuff, unlike their banners. by the way, aren't binoculars dropped by EoC? what that even does with Dr. Bones?
I think then salamander, crawdad, giant shelly should work too, regardless if only 2 are native to a world, but they're still pretty rare...

I think a walking plant pot could work for plant monsters XD
wonder if then fishes would flail around on the ground and swim if in the water?
and curious how it's possible to code pet worms

Here's the suggestion with the bestiary

I left a pretty sort message. Thank you for notifying me! Let's see if the person who made that thread also thinks the same way I do.

Oh, I see. yeah, statue spawned monsters should drop their banner too. but there are quite some monsters that have no statues...

Yeah. Those use other recipes. That's why statue monsters are considered very low tier and common.

and I think I misunderstood it before. so it's not like, "banner + item + item" but having 2 or more alternative recipes for the item? then, yeah, I think that sounds right.
That was exactly what I was afraid of. That people would think they are all part of one recipe.
I better clear that up. I'm gonna edit it.

by the way, aren't binoculars dropped by EoC? what that even does with Dr. Bones?

I just wanted a drop that looked nice. I might replace it for Jungle Spores, as well as mud blocks.

I think then salamander, crawdad, giant shelly should work too, regardless if only 2 are native to a world, but they're still pretty rare...

Yeah. But my mod is supposed to have all pets obtainable within one world. Even the crimson/corruption ones.

I think a walking plant pot could work for plant monsters XD

I might even make the walking plant pot it's own pet, if it gets enough love.

wonder if then fishes would flail around on the ground and swim if in the water?

Well, for Piranha I thought of it floating aimlessly, but flying/swimming when you get too far or you get into water.
I might also make them wear fishbowls, just like how Spongebob characters do when out of water.

and curious how it's possible to code pet worms

That's probably the hardest hurdle to overcome. I might put tons of easy-to-code AI ideas, and let people choose.

Looks like maybe you can collab? that probably would be cool!
If I can help with anything, I'm here too. I'm very new to coding, but maybe can do some spriting. currently in a new team as a spriter for a mod too. I can also help with brainstorming.

I think these all sound good. if you can do it, it surely will be a really nice mod! I'm looking forward to try it out.

I saw some of the alternative pet recipes (particularly the Desert ones) and thought they were ridiculously expensive, but then I remembered how grindy some of these enemies can be to get their banners.
However, the Angry Tumbler can be farmed quite easily. Why I'd want to remove 999 Sand Blocks from my Desert is beyond me (besides, you know, uh, Glass).
Other than that, though, I think this is a pretty sweet mod in the making. The rarity tiers are pretty spot-on.

Haven't worked on anything with sprites recently, so I might have some rust to get rid of, but I could maybe help with sprites.
All my experience lies in editing pre-existing Terraria sprites, anyways. `;)

I saw some of the alternative pet recipes (particularly the Desert ones) and thought they were ridiculously expensive, but then I remembered how grindy some of these enemies can be to get their banners.
They aren't really that demanding. By the point you would actively tell yourself "uhmmm, I think I want the desert pets", you will probably have digging power high enough to mine quickly.

However, the Angry Tumbler can be farmed quite easily. Why I'd want to remove 999 Sand Blocks from my Desert is beyond me
I think I went a bit overboard with it. I had no idea what recipe to make because Angry Tumbler has no other items, and Sandstorms do not provide with any other "proof" that you actually visited the desert. I might just make it life crystals. Because, if you are willing to sacrifice heart crystals for angry tumbler, you can probably face them very easily anyway.

Other than that, though, I think this is a pretty sweet mod in the making. The rarity tiers are pretty spot-on.

Thank you! I haven't been able to work much because my main coder is busy. But once he is less busy, we can get into it. My problem with the rarity tiers was mostly the very rare monsters, like Nymph, Tim, etc.

Haven't worked on anything with sprites recently, so I might have some rust to get rid of, but I could maybe help with sprites.
All my experience lies in editing pre-existing Terraria sprites, anyways. `;)

That's really what we need for the most part, to be honest. Most monsters just need slight tweaks or animations. The only ones that might need new sprites are boss monsters (still on planning stage), aquatic monsters (they might wear a scuba gear or diving helmet), and plant monsters (they will have a walking flower pot. Or maybe a normal flower pot and they bounce with it)

Reactions: Bry
Back
Top Bottom