[Project] Reprogrammable passcode lock

DRKV

Wall of Flesh
Back in the era of hoiktronics I remember looking at this Programmable Passcode-Protected Door. Now that we have logic gates, I thought maybe even a noob like me could put something like that together. I mean what could go wrong... :)

After about two days of designing and one day of hunting for broken wires and missing junktion boxes, I came up with a working prototype.
64fDhIS.png

xmSEIuA.png

This lock uses four digit codes, but theoretically that could be extended.

Every button on the keypad triggers a unique combination of wires. The correct combinations are stored in a set of AND gates, when programming the password. The stuff to the left of the AND gates resets the passcode, and then writes the digits for the new code. To unlock the door, the counter on the right needs to reach its end. The counter can only be incremented, by pressing the next correct digit. If a button was pressed, but the counter was not incremented, the user has pressed the wrong button, so the counter is reset.
The big spaghetti of wires on the top right is just for disabling and enabling the right bits of the machine, at the right time.

The orange lever is for closing the door. The blue lever is for setting a new passcode, but it can only be activated when the door is open.

I tried to cram the whole thing into a somewhat useable size... I'm not quite sure I succeeded.

EDIT: Slight cleanup, to make it look a bit neater.

Attachments

• passcode2.wld
    95.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Back in the era of hoiktronics I remember looking at this Programmable Passcode-Protected Door. Now that we have logic gates, I thought maybe even a noob like me could put something like that together. I mean what could go wrong... :)

After about two days of designing and one day of hunting for broken wires and missing junktion boxes, I came up with a working prototype.

05SeopK.png

PlpKV9f.png

The wiring is a bit of a mess, especially on the top left. I kind of ran out of time (and patience). Maybe tomorrow-ish I can make a cleaner version, if someone's interested.

This lock uses four digit codes, but theoretically that could be extended.

Every button on the keypad triggers a unique combination of wires. The correct combinations are stored in a set of AND gates, when programming the password. The stuff to the left of the AND gates resets the passcode, and then writes the digits for the new code. To unlock the door, the counter on the right needs to reach its end. The counter can only be incremented, by pressing the next correct digit. If a button was pressed, but the counter was not incremented, the user has pressed the wrong button, so the counter is reset.
The big spaghetti of wires on the top right is just for disabling and enabling the right bits of the machine, at the right time.

The orange lever is for closing the door. The blue lever is for setting a new passcode, but it can only be activated when the door is open.

I tried to cram the whole thing into a somewhat useable size... I'm not quite sure I succeeded.

I'm not sure a lot of people (including me) can even understand this but I'm pretty sure it's a 4 digit password thing. If so, Awesome! Since I cant understand it...

I'm not sure a lot of people (including me) can even understand this but I'm pretty sure it's a 4 digit password thing. If so, Awesome! Since I cant understand it...

I can understand your confusion. The whole thing does look like a huge mess. I'll make it cleaner, and I'll also put up a wrold download.

May I ask, what are logic gates used for? I have a rough idea of what they look like, but I have no idea how they work or what they are used for. Maybe you could enlighten me?

May I ask, what are logic gates used for? I have a rough idea of what they look like, but I have no idea how they work or what they are used for. Maybe you could enlighten me?

You can find a nice explanation in this thread: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/an-explanation-of-logic-gates.43495/
The basic building block of many logic gate builds are the "transistors". I couldn't really find a comprehensive explanation of them, but you could look at this for instance: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/serializing-data-save-wire-space-and-nerves.43886/
You can also make a sort of "smoky transistor" by triggering a gate twice in a row. You can learn more about smoke here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...operations-smoke-and-how-to-prevent-it.44020/
[doublepost=1477920522,1477872493][/doublepost]I made it look all nice and shiny. I also uploaded the world file.

Last edited:
I built something like this in one of my worlds. But I made the room you enter the code in full of traps. So if you try to open the door and the code is wrong, you are locked in the room as it turns into a very deadly place to be for the next 30-40 secs. XD

Back
Top Bottom