[Project] Why doesn't the water and lava level go down?

UncleTuskie

Terrarian
I'm using Terraria 1.3.5.3 from GOG.com and my first world was too cramped and contaminated with Crimson and Hallow to continue. I decided to make a large world. One of the first things I did was make an obsidian maker for an obsidian skull money farm. I put on my Shroomite Digging Claw and started harvesting obsidian. The fluid level never went down. I used a teeny AutoHotkey script to click-lock the left mouse button down and went to bed. Eight hours later it was still running and I had tens of thousands of obsidian blocks but the fluid levels were unchanged. I tried the same materials, shape and position in a new small world but it didn't work. *(See update below)

What causes the fluid levels to remain unchanged? How can this be replicated? If you can figure it out we'll all have a truly, endless, AFK, source of building material.

Stitched screen shot:
10hlgds.png

Wiring:
e0o55f.png

World map:
w1sqxc.jpg

*Update: The copy I made was missing one block, shown below.
o0wkll.png

After adding the block and running it for around 4 hours the fluid levels didn't go down.

Map file:

Attachments

• Cayi.wld
    10.7 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
My first world was too cramped and contaminated with Crimson and Hallow to continue, so I decided to make a large world. One of the first things I did was make an obsidian maker for an obsedian skull money farm. I put on my Shroomite Digging Claw and started harvesting obsidian. The fluid level never went down. I used a teeny AutoHotkey script to click-lock the left mouse button down and went to bed. Eight hours later it was still running and I had tens of thousands of obsidian blocks but the fluid levels were unchanged. I tried the same materials, shape and position in a new small world but it didn't work.

What causes the fluid levels to remain unchanged? How can this be replicated? If you can figure it out we'll all have a truly, endless, AFK, source of building material.

Also, could someone let me know how to link or upload the world file so it can be experimented on?
Yeah, this sort of thing happens sometimes. Usually with large masses of liquids. Sometimes some layouts just cause the liquids to duplicate endlessly.
File uploads are buggy right now. There are workarounds here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/known-forum-issues-and-work-arounds-march-2019.78202/ and of course you could always use an external site, like Dropbox or Google drive. You should also post some screenshots when you get around to it. :)

Yeah, this sort of thing happens sometimes. Usually with large masses of liquids. Sometimes some layouts just cause the liquids to duplicate endlessly.
File uploads are buggy right now. There are workarounds here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/known-forum-issues-and-work-arounds-march-2019.78202/ and of course you could always use an external site, like Dropbox or Google drive. You should also post some screenshots when you get around to it. :)
Thanks!

is the whole tank visible on your screen when you're mining out the obsidian? there are times when large tanks extend a certain distance beyond the screen that the liquid level never drops.

No the tank isn't fully visible but that doesn't always matter. Width has something to do with it, too. In this system the screen view ends a little above the torch on the side, but the fluid levels still go down.

25i5d2q.png

If a large mass of water comes out of a 1 block wide hole off screen, it can dupe for ever. You can take a laser drill, dig a 1 wide hole in a floating lake, go off screen, and it will flood the entire world. Also works with oceans (for oceans even a 2 wide gap works since they are so big)

Back
Top Bottom