Resolved [PS4] Cross Region Multiplayer

Leonnaki

Terrarian
Hello.

I wonder if anyone has tried playing online multiplayer cross region on PS4?

I'm playing from the EU, but I usually hang out with friends from the Americas on online sessions.
Never thought this would be an issue until we recently run into an instance with another game.

Although I already own the game, my mates would like to confirm if we'll be able to play together before buying.

Terraria doesn't have dedicated servers, it relies on one player hosting a map that other players can join. So regional issues isn't a problem with Terraria.
Now some other games (like the one you had an issue with) do have regional restrictions due to them using dedicated servers.

I live in the EU as well and I haven't had problems playing Terraria with people from the states.
The only issue you may run into when hosting a game is if your console is behind a router that's performing NAT (Network Address Translation). But that can be circumvented by enabling a feature called UPnP in the router.

Last edited:
Terraria doesn't have dedicated servers, it relies on one player hosting a map that other players can join. So regional issues isn't a problem with Terraria.
Now some other games (like the one you had an issue with) do have regional restrictions due to them using dedicated servers.

I live in the EU as well and I haven't had problems playing Terraria with people from the states.
The only issue you may run into when hosting a game is if your console is behind a router that's performing NAT (Network Address Translation). But that can be circumvented by enabling a feature called UPnP in the router.

That's great to know, thanks!

I didn't think of the whole dedicated/p2p thing.
The game in question was Human Fall Flat, just assumed it was p2p.

We actually ended up managing to play together, but I had to link my mate's account on my device which is a bit of a hassle.

Tbh, thinking about it now, I don't think that game has dedicated servers, because the host would always get a lag free game, while everyone else would have delays on jumps and :red:, and we tried different hosts each session.

Back
Top Bottom