Resolved [PS4] GAME FREEZES ON PS4 (all posts will be combined into this thread)

Here my player data and a small world data that locks up.
Thank you for the files. is there anywhere in the world (the jungle for example) where you notice this happening specifically or is it more generally after a certain period you just get a freeze?

I have not been able to upload anything to a Google drive but I think I have found a temporary fix!!

When trying to introduce my friend to Terraria, I hosted a large multi-player server world with most graphics off. I had played with my friend for around 2 hours, to which the game did not freeze once. Once they left, I hopped into a single player medium world, to which it starred freezing about 30 minutes in.

I thought this was weird. So I then went back to the large multi-player world and continued to play by myself, 2 max players, on invite only so no one else could join. I played for about 2 hours by myself to which the game didn't freeze at all. If your an active player like I am and can't stand the freezing, I recommend trying to host a multi-player world temporarily to see if that fixes the issue until the freezing is resolved.

Let me know if this works for anyone else!

It has happened two times, when I’m hosting a game for me and my friend. Randomly the game just freezes, except the music continues until the end of the track. The two times it happened were somewhat random; the first while in the underground after killing a few enemies, the second being on the surface after killing a few enemies as well. The killing enemies part seems to be the only connection.
*It also happens in single player

Last edited:
I have been experiencing the same issues as everyone has mentioned. I would like to add that when I am playing splitscreen locally, I have not encountered this bug. I have also noticed that by turning down the graphics settings, the game crashes slightly less frequently.

I am playing on a medium core master mode world (first time playing master mode) and I died to the eye of Cthulhu sadly after I had beaten him before, but I was just trying to kill him again. I started heading back to my items and my game crashed and I lost all of my items I was carrying: my best armor, all my accessories, my starfury which i found out is actually kinda broken, my mini shark, my grappling hook, etc. my game crashes all the time and I’m doing a special challenge that’s extremely hard, on top of the master mediumcore, so I really want this to be fixed because I was about ready to quit because of that. I had spent hours and hours getting those items only to lose them in a moment. There was a reason I didn’t go for hardcore yet; I’m not interested in completely restarting everything I’ve come to do just because I got unlucky. The crashes also have literally zero warning and the game becomes unplayable indefinitely for me, where only the music continues but the screen freezes and everything stops moving. Please fix this bug before I go insane.

Thank you for the files. is there anywhere in the world (the jungle for example) where you notice this happening specifically or is it more generally after a certain period you just get a freeze?
It does when I take off walking. It just randomly happens. Sometimes locks on landing after a jump. Sometimes hammering block. Sometimes you go 5 mins with out crashing. Then sometimes you go 30 mins. There no Rhyme or Reason.

Thanks for the report - this is a troublesome one that we're currently investigating. Do you remember the rough timeframe these crashes occurred in, relative to when the world was first joined?

Thanks for the report - this is a troublesome one that we're currently investigating. Do you remember the rough timeframe these crashes occurred in, relative to when the world was first joined?
Not really, but if I had to guess, I’d say ~30 minutes to an hour.

I just got the game the other day and this is happening randomly on my small world. Any progress being made on this? I don't have a PC to share my save file unfortunately.

This is still happening to me and every time this happens I lose some of my items and get sent back to my spawn. I assume I’m losing the items because it doesn’t save because every time it happens I close the game on my ps4 and start it back up. It has been happening ever since I started playing again which was couple of days ago.

Eu experimentei os problemas mais importantes que todos os mencionaram. Gostaria de acrescentar que, quando você está usando a divisão localmente, não há problema. Também nota que, ao deslegar como configurações gramáticas, o jogo trava um pouco menos com menos freqüência.
Good morning, this error is a May concept or even more so. It also includes a recent Terraria and I also face this error. Let's be patient and wait for it to be fixed. If you want a tip to minimize the error a little, I recommend looking at the old posts for more information.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm hoping it's a fairly easy fix I wish I could contribute some help but unfortunately i also don't have a pc

Im playing on ps4. Literally every 5 minutes no joke the game just freezes. Idk why, I don’t think terraria is that much of a strong game I’m sure a ps4 can handle it if mobile can. I’m playing on a large world which may be the issue because I’ve seen others with the same issue on large worlds

i have the same issue! this is so awful for me because i can barely keep my motivation to play it because i keep losing hours of progress!

@Drift_129 Is there any chance you can zip up your player and world which is affected so we can take a look internally? If you stick in a usb drive and move them to a PC then zip up the PS4 folder on a pc and upload it to google drive or similar we will be able to look at your game files. Feel free to DM me the files if you're able to do this.
you cannot do that on ps4
thats completely impossible because sony decided the ps4 to be a complete gaming system unlike the ps3, that one had mutimedia features like that.
that also means you cant copy or back up files by any means unfortunately.
I'm not the poster of the thread but i thought i should respond to this because i have the same issue

So, as the title says, terraria keeps freezing.
no matter what you do (or dont do) it just locks up permanently and whatever soundtrack is playing will continue until it finishes and then the game goes silent aswell.
I have lost days of progress due to this and its absolutely not possible to play anymore.
worst of all is that theres no fixed intervall (sometimes it happened thrize in 5 mins sometimes it happens in 2-3 h but thats rare)
also it seems to be independent from world size.
HOWEVER it does happen way more often in my crimson world (could be a coincidence though)

There seem to be connections of several things though:
  1. (extremely likely a cause)
    • autosave.
  2. (probable)
    • shaking trees.
    • entering minecarts.
    • making a lot of progress in a short time.
      • exploring a huge portion of the map
      • obtaining several new items (items that you didnt have before)
      • defeating several new enemies (enemies that you havnt killed before)
  3. (possible)
    • certain weapons
      • notably the blade of grass.
        • i remember more weapons that could induce said freeze but i cannot test this right now because i have to get ready to school rn lmao
  4. (could be coincidence)
    • breaking certain blocks
      • live leaves
      • shell piles
        • probably more but i really have to get ready for school now
I am going to update this with screenshots later today because i often made a screenshot when it crashed. unfortunately i often forgot so i cant send all (thats actually good though because otherwise id have hundreds of screenshots in this)

you cannot do that on ps4
thats completely impossible because sony decided the ps4 to be a complete gaming system unlike the ps3, that one had mutimedia features like that.
that also means you cant copy or back up files by any means unfortunately.
I'm not the poster of the thread but i thought i should respond to this because i have the same issue
If you plug in an external USB stick, this is possible from the “Application Saved Data Management” section in settings. Selecting Terraria within that subsection allows you to export a .zip of its data to the stick, which you can then place onto a PC.

So, as the title says, terraria keeps freezing.
no matter what you do (or dont do) it just locks up permanently and whatever soundtrack is playing will continue until it finishes and then the game goes silent aswell.
I have lost days of progress due to this and its absolutely not possible to play anymore.
worst of all is that theres no fixed intervall (sometimes it happened thrize in 5 mins sometimes it happens in 2-3 h but thats rare)
also it seems to be independent from world size.
HOWEVER it does happen way more often in my crimson world (could be a coincidence though)

There seem to be connections of several things though:
  1. (extremely likely a cause)
    • autosave.
  2. (probable)
    • shaking trees.
    • entering minecarts.
    • making a lot of progress in a short time.
      • exploring a huge portion of the map
      • obtaining several new items (items that you didnt have before)
      • defeating several new enemies (enemies that you havnt killed before)
  3. (possible)
    • certain weapons
      • notably the blade of grass.
        • i remember more weapons that could induce said freeze but i cannot test this right now because i have to get ready to school rn lmao
  4. (could be coincidence)
    • breaking certain blocks
      • live leaves
      • shell piles
        • probably more but i really have to get ready for school now
I am going to update this with screenshots later today because i often made a screenshot when it crashed. unfortunately i often forgot so i cant send all (thats actually good though because otherwise id have hundreds of screenshots in this)
Thanks for all the detail you’ve provided in this thread! We will continue to look into this. A decent amount of these points line up with things I’ve suspected myself - so this is helpful in zeroing in on the issue.

Would it be possible to request a .zip of your save data? This can be found in the ”Application Saved Data Management” section of Settings, and should allow you to export your files to an external USB stick.

Additionally, could I see a screenshot of your Video and Advanced Video settings?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom