Resolved [PS4] Terraria v1.3 PS4 - How do I know what I can craft?

pyro117

Terrarian
I have not played Terraria before and I am somewhat lost in the game itself. I played the tutorial to figure out a house/etc...

My biggest complaint and maybe I am missing something here - is how do I know what I can craft? I have noticed that new craftable items show up when I have the materials in my inventory and near the correct crafting item (workbench, sawmill, etc..) . I researched how to change my spawn point on the internet and found out I needed a bed. I researched how to build a bed and found out I need a sawmill and loom. To build a sawmill, I needed chain to which I needed an anvil.

The only way I found all this out is via the wiki pages. Am I supposed to sit with a laptop next to me so I can figure out how to play the game? Older videos show more informative crafting screens which will tell you what you can craft, etc... The latest version does not - or at least I cannot find anything in game to help me.

Please advise on what I am missing here?

I have not played Terraria before and I am somewhat lost in the game itself. I played the tutorial to figure out a house/etc...

My biggest complaint and maybe I am missing something here - is how do I know what I can craft? I have noticed that new craftable items show up when I have the materials in my inventory and near the correct crafting item (workbench, sawmill, etc..) . I researched how to change my spawn point on the internet and found out I needed a bed. I researched how to build a bed and found out I need a sawmill and loom. To build a sawmill, I needed chain to which I needed an anvil.

The only way I found all this out is via the wiki pages. Am I supposed to sit with a laptop next to me so I can figure out how to play the game? Older videos show more informative crafting screens which will tell you what you can craft, etc... The latest version does not - or at least I cannot find anything in game to help me.

Please advise on what I am missing here?
Any item with the label 'Material' can be given to the Guide NPC after selecting 'Crafting', there is an empty inventory slot near your crafting menu that when you put the item in there it shows you the recipe for everything that can be crafted with that item. He also has the 'Help' feature where he will try to provide context compatible hints, these vary in their usefulness though as the AI is not very advanced. :)

Okay, that does help but the text is all garbled on the scrren. What the item is/does is overlayed on top of what it takes to build it making it very hard to read.

Just a comment, but this way of figuring out what you can craft is not very user friendly. Now, I have to take each item to the crafter and figure out what I can build. Or I just have to go to the Terraria wiki. I do know 2 friends tried to play Terraria and lost interest because it was too hard to figure out what to do and how to craft anything.

Okay, that does help but the text is all garbled on the scrren. What the item is/does is overlayed on top of what it takes to build it making it very hard to read.

Just a comment, but this way of figuring out what you can craft is not very user friendly. Now, I have to take each item to the crafter and figure out what I can build. Or I just have to go to the Terraria wiki. I do know 2 friends tried to play Terraria and lost interest because it was too hard to figure out what to do and how to craft anything.
It's how PC works.

It's how PC works.

That may be, but it still sucks. The user interface of the PS4 version prior to 1.3 was VASTLY SUPERIOR. Please for the love of God, roll back these horrible changes, and give us back the wonderful UI as it was in prior versions.

Just because the PC version has a terrible UI does not mean that PS4 users should be inflicted with the same pain! We did not buy consoles so that we could get tortured by terrible PC game interfaces, which are optimized for mouse and keyboad when you are sitting mere inches from the sceen. Rather, we got consoles so we could sit 10 feet away on our couch with a game controller and enjoy slick, well-designed games.

The original PS4 Terraria was awesome! You could zoom in and out to make everything in the game world easier to see. The crafting screen had the ability to show/hide recipes that are unavailable due to lacking certain inventory items. Each inventory and crafting screen was designed just right, easy to navigate, and nice and large, easy to read.

But this latest version has a super-crammed, crowded UI where everything is on one screen. THIS FREAKING SUCKS!!!! You cannot zoom in and out anymore, either. What the heck guys?! Why did you trash the UI and turn it into garbage like this? What on earth were you thinking?

I don’t understand why developers gimp and ruin their own products. Do you want users to get frustrated and quit? Do you want sales and reviews to go down? Did you even have a public beta test at all or run these ideas by the PS4 community before dropping this crap update on us?!

Also, why are the icons for the PS4 controller buttons so pixelated? It looks like crap.
[doublepost=1522029863,1522029374][/doublepost]
Any item with the label 'Material' can be given to the Guide NPC after selecting 'Crafting', there is an empty inventory slot near your crafting menu that when you put the item in there it shows you the recipe for everything that can be crafted with that item. He also has the 'Help' feature where he will try to provide context compatible hints, these vary in their usefulness though as the AI is not very advanced. :)

The Guide NPC...? What is the Guide NPC? You mean that annoying guy that I assigned to a remote room so he could never annoy me again or walk through my workshop? I am pretty sure he is not at my main base. So you are telling me that I have to build a room and assign that Guide NPC to the new room, then wait till he moves there, before I can see all the recipes that require items I don’t have?

Sigh...

Also, what if I don’t have ANY of the ingredients yet? In the old version, if yiu were standing by the workbench, you could see all the recipes that the workbench enables, even if you had none of the ingredients for any of them. How do I that same thing, after the 1.3 downgrade removed all the good UI features?

For that matter is there a way to simply download the previous version? I think it’s unethical for companies to ruin software and force a downgrade on people!!!

Last edited:
That may be, but it still sucks. The user interface of the PS4 version prior to 1.3 was VASTLY SUPERIOR. Please for the love of God, roll back these horrible changes, and give us back the wonderful UI as it was in prior versions.

Just because the PC version has a terrible UI does not mean that PS4 users should be inflicted with the same pain! We did not buy consoles so that we could get tortured by terrible PC game interfaces, which are optimized for mouse and keyboad when you are sitting mere inches from the sceen. Rather, we got consoles so we could sit 10 feet away on our couch with a game controller and enjoy slick, well-designed games.

The original PS4 Terraria was awesome! You could zoom in and out to make everything in the game world easier to see. The crafting screen had the ability to show/hide recipes that are unavailable due to lacking certain inventory items. Each inventory and crafting screen was designed just right, easy to navigate, and nice and large, easy to read.

But this latest version has a super-crammed, crowded UI where everything is on one screen. THIS FREAKING SUCKS!!!! You cannot zoom in and out anymore, either. What the heck guys?! Why did you trash the UI and turn it into garbage like this? What on earth were you thinking?

I don’t understand why developers gimp and ruin their own products. Do you want users to get frustrated and quit? Do you want sales and reviews to go down? Did you even have a public beta test at all or run these ideas by the PS4 community before dropping this crap update on us?!

Also, why are the icons for the PS4 controller buttons so pixelated? It looks like crap.
[doublepost=1522029863,1522029374][/doublepost]

The Guide NPC...? What is the Guide NPC? You mean that annoying guy that I assigned to a remote room so he could never annoy me again or walk through my workshop? I am pretty sure he is not at my main base. So you are telling me that I have to build a room and assign that Guide NPC to the new room, then wait till he moves there, before I can see all the recipes that require items I don’t have?

Sigh...

Also, what if I don’t have ANY of the ingredients yet? In the old version, if yiu were standing by the workbench, you could see all the recipes that the workbench enables, even if you had none of the ingredients for any of them. How do I that same thing, after the 1.3 downgrade removed all the good UI features?

For that matter is there a way to simply download the previous version? I think it’s unethical for companies to ruin software and force a downgrade on people!!!
I've addressed your questions in the thread you posted: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?posts/1565977/
This is Terraria as it's creators intended it. Changes were announced well in advance of the update releasing. I don't know of anyway to roll back to a previous version.

Also....you can still zoom in and out, just how you do it has changed. Instead of the pad you pause the game and use your r2 and l2 buttons to zoom. And maybe you don't like the ui, but there is no reason to be so rude about it. These people put a lot of hard work into this game, calling their work crap is just uncalled for. While the new ui is not ideal, I personally like things like, oh say, not getting killed by mobs because I'm looking at my inventory. The only thing I miss is having mobs show up on the map, but at the same time they made it so it actually updates as other players do things like mine and such, which before you had to close and reopen your map for that stuff to update. I'm just saying calm down and give it a shot, if you actually care about playing the game it will grow on you.

I honestly don’t care what Re-Logic “intended.” The PC version’s UI is optimized for playing on a PC. The console version’s UI formerly was optimized for playing on console. But now. it no longer is.

This makes playing PS4 version on Vita or iPhone via remote play not feasible since everything is now too small to discern. That is truly sad.

I really hate it when developers remove beloved features in a so-called “update” thay they force on paying customers.

Back
Top Bottom