PS4 [PS4 / XboxOne ] Extra Large Worlds Exclusively On New Consoles.

Should 505 games allow engine software to implement " Extra Large World " on Xbox One and PS4?

• Yes, awesome!!!

• Sound Cool...

• I don't know...

• Bad idea...

• Absolutely No!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that there is a hard limit to world sizes in Terraria, and in order to overcome that limit, the developers would have to rework the entire game engine... At least, that's what I've heard about the PC version. I imagine it would apply to the console versions as well.

apparently not...

It's nice to see console players are much like PC players then. "Screw you, you have an older thing than I do, who cares if you can use what I use?" I'm sure this will be added, bait and switch has always been a very good business tactic, although it's morally wrong, but hey, bigger maps, screw those PS3/XB360 guys, right?

Should the speed limit on motorways be kept to 60 miles per hour just because some people can't afford a car than can comfortably cruise at 70 (leaving aside any discussion on whether it should be 60 for safety reasons)? How is it morally wrong to give players on better hardware maps that their hardware can support but that older hardware cannot? By your logic, PC players and console players should be limited to iOS/Android sized worlds because that would be unfair.

That's a nice collection of non-sequiturs you have there. Some of them seem to be red and swim quite well.

My point still stands: when you offer someone a service, and then switch to a different thing without compensation for the service they were promised but won't be getting - either partially or totally - in the business world that's called "bait and switch" and exactly what is being proposed here.

Hope that's simple enough to understand. "By your logic," it wouldn't be fair to ask me to simplify it any more than I did.

There's a much simpler term, however, which can and should be used for that attitude. "Elitism."

That's a nice collection of non-sequiturs you have there. Some of them seem to be red and swim quite well.

My point still stands: when you offer someone a service, and then switch to a different thing without compensation for the service they were promised but won't be getting - either partially or totally - in the business world that's called "bait and switch" and exactly what is being proposed here.

Hope that's simple enough to understand. "By your logic," it wouldn't be fair to ask me to simplify it any more than I did.

There's a much simpler term, however, which can and should be used for that attitude. "Elitism."
How is it elitest that we want bigger worlds? We spend just as much time on console as ANY of you on pc, so why do we get shafted?
We have the hardware now so we deserve an upgrade, how can you see this as rich :red:s wanting more cuz money?

One thing I'd like to remind everyone of . . . this is not a war here. Console and PC are being independently developed by different teams on different platforms, with their own views of what to work on and unique limitations. So keep things respectful and polite, because there is no excuse for a simple discussion to be anything but.

Its not elitism that I can see, just a desire to see old limitations removed once they are no longer necessary. I think there are just some people on a system who would like to see the capabilities of said version upgraded, without necessarily considering the fallout on other systems. Its an honest oversight; but if a version exclusive update can be given without negatively impacting other versions (and it only exclusive due to technical limitations that cannot be circumvented on the other versions), then I see no objection there.

Does Xbox One have crossplay? I'm not aware. But the cross-play scenario is the only one where I could consider this as a bait and switch in any way. Offering an tech upgraded version on a system with higher performance specs is a reasonable thing to do.

Barring the crossplay scenario, this is not a bait and switch in any way I can conceive. The PS4/Xbone versions were created LONG after the original console version was . . . there is no justifiable way to claim that PS3/Xbox360 versions deserve everything the new versions get years after the fact, or that technical improvements capable on only one system should be denied to avoid hurt feelings on the other. This is a system upgrade, released almost two years after the original console version. While I'm all for considering support for antiquated systems, there is also a point at where providing valuable services (but previously impossible) to some of your market should be given.

Then please understand my confusion at two pc players jumping into the console thread to say we can't have x because we have to be fair to y so just settle with z.

Maybe such matters are better left to those without the pc option, yes some ponies don't pc it's not as rare as you think..

Opinions of all constructively posting members are welcome here. PC players can post in console, and vice versa.

Now what i personally don't understand is the opposition to this, we were forced to put up with smaller worlds last gen due to system limitations but now we're moving on bit by bit to the next gen hardware, the limitations are no longer there so i don't see an issue with allowing us a shot at a world size closer to that of the pc.

Is there any official word stating that the next gen systems can handle this? For all you know, this entire discussion is based on something that still isn't possible.

Last edited:
Does Xbox One have crossplay?

Is there any official word stating that the next gen systems can handle this? For all you know, this entire discussion is based on something that still isn't possible.
As far as i'm aware the cross play is exclusive to psn as microsoft is as i've heard, far less caring in the department, i can't quote anything concrete but i remember 505 having issues with microsoft on that front. I'd appreciate anypony backing my claims as i'm using memory alone here.

And a simple answer for that second part is FF14 ARR, it's servers are shared at all times between PC PS3 and PS4 all playing together at the same time, however, in order to make this a reality they had to force a great deal of aesthetic limitations on ps3 that weren't present when the ps4 version released,

the ps4 and pc share the same specs, to this day they play the same at all times on all platforms, pc players teaming with ps3 and ps4 players and the only difference between them is some limitations on the ps3 side.

If squenix for all their padt shortcomings can do such a stellar job with an MMO then terraria should get bigger worlds it's not hard.

the ps4 and pc share the same specs, to this day they play the same at all times on all platforms, pc players teaming with ps3 and ps4 players and the only difference between them is some limitations on the ps3 side.

You need to remember that Console Terraria is an entirely unique game, recoded from the ground up to function on a different platform. In a way, console Terraria is like an alien who has been modified to look and act like a human (PC version), but the insides work entirely different. What works on one side doesn't always work on the other . . . this is why the Coin Gun had serious console issues, because the money system, which worked the same at face value, was actually coded in an entirely different way, which didn't work the same with the way the Coin Gun performed. Little technical issues like that can crop up.

If squenix for all their padt shortcomings can do such a stellar job with an MMO then terraria should get bigger worlds it's not hard.

Square Enix is a massive, AAA producing company with a 30 year history with over 3000 employees. Other measures of their quality aside, you can't compare the options and possibilities open to a company like that to a relatively small but awesome indie team like Relogic (and in this case, 505 Games which just does a port).

Until you've been in the code, neither you nor I can speak for what is possible or not, and how easy or hard it is to do. Discussion and conjecture is one thing, but none of us know if this is a viable upgrade or not.

Is there any official word stating that the next gen systems can't handle this?

MrRudi please help us... you are our hope...

The moment I looked at the thread's title, I had this feeling there's trolling going on.
In fact, if you combine two or more very famous/controversial/dead horse topics, like "ranger healing, spectre nerfing, summoner buffing, Cyber, mounted combat, etc. in our case Extra large worlds and Exclusive content, it immediately becomes trollish. No matter your original intention.
As far as I see it, there is no need for any exclusive content at all. The consoles had their own, and only bad reputation and flaming rose in its wake. Then PC said "I'll show you how to make real exclusive content" and then the console players got jealous, but we all know the story. Everyone should get the same content, PC, mobiles, old and new consoles.
On topic of Extra Large worlds, I don't think 505 Games could implement them properly on their own (no offense) if even Red himself had problems with it.
So, no, to both parts of the suggestion. I don't see why we should carry on about this.

The moment I looked at the thread's title, I had this feeling there's trolling going on.
In fact, if you combine two or more very famous/controversial/dead horse topics, like "ranger healing, spectre nerfing, summoner buffing, Cyber, mounted combat, etc. in our case Extra large worlds and Exclusive content, it immediately becomes trollish. No matter your original intention.
As far as I see it, there is no need for any exclusive content at all. The consoles had their own, and only bad reputation and flaming rose in its wake. Then PC said "I'll show you how to make real exclusive content" and then the console players got jealous, but we all know the story. Everyone should get the same content, PC, mobiles, old and new consoles.
On topic of Extra Large worlds, I don't think 505 Games could implement them properly on their own (no offense) if even Red himself had problems with it.
So, no, to both parts of the suggestion. I don't see why we should carry on about this.
Exactly how is this trollish? This is nothing like the other topics which quite frankly aren't trollish either. This "exclusive" content wouldn't hurt anypony and here's why.

All this gives is a world size closer to that of the pc, sounds fair to me after what, 2, 3 years now, no not a huge demand by any means.

This doesn't contain any content other than a decent size world, i highly doubt flame wars will happen over that.
Unlike you most ponies here don't resort to yelling troll at first glance, i still have some faith that, good or bad, we're all here for a better gaming experience.

Nopony would feel left behind, cuz guess what? Console players update, either they already have, will do so this year, or 2 to 3 years down the line we'll all upgrade to an xbone or a ps4 ( or Wii U for terraria fingers crossed ), that's the way consoles go we all get them eventually so this won't be exclusive in the long run.

And seeing as engine is taking as much time as humanly possible bringing pc content to consoles, we'll all likely still be playing 3 years from now.
oh yeah it's engine that covers the porting 505 is just the publisher, maybe do some homework before bashing a company ok. Saying no offense after blatantly offending doesn't excuse anything.

Exactly how is this trollish? This is nothing like the other topics which quite frankly aren't trollish either. This "exclusive" content wouldn't hurt anypony and here's why.

All this gives is a world size closer to that of the pc, sounds fair to me after what, 2, 3 years now, no not a huge demand by any means.

This doesn't contain any content other than a decent size world, i highly doubt flame wars will happen over that.
Unlike you most ponies here don't resort to yelling troll at first glance, i still have some faith that, good or bad, we're all here for a better gaming experience.

Nopony would feel left behind, cuz guess what? Console players update, either they already have, will do so this year, or 2 to 3 years down the line we'll all upgrade to an xbone or a ps4 ( or Wii U for terraria fingers crossed ), that's the way consoles go we all get them eventually so this won't be exclusive in the long run.

And seeing as engine is taking as much time as humanly possible bringing pc content to consoles, we'll all likely still be playing 3 years from now.
oh yeah it's engine that covers the porting 505 is just the publisher, maybe do some homework before bashing a company ok. Saying no offense after blatantly offending doesn't excuse anything.
This is what I've talked about. Topics like this only bring wars.
I said: no matter your original intention. I realized OP isn't trolling intentionally, but it accomplishes the purpose.
Also, not everyone is rich. Softwares check for Windows 95 compatibility, even. I'm quite sure some people will just stick to their current consoles.
And what will happen if somehow PC gets Extra Large Worlds? How will that be ported to consoles?
I say let's see what PC gets, and port that exact content to the consoles, no more no less. Everything else just makes things complicated.
I am not sure if you were there at the time, but on old TO, there was an infamous incident when one of the patches went so wrong that people were unable to play and save games got corrupted. They had to release a hotfix which fixed this one, but caused more ingame bugs. So I don't really care who is responsible, 505 or Engine, as I play on the PC.

This is what I've talked about. Topics like this only bring wars.
I said: no matter your original intention. I realized OP isn't trolling intentionally, but it accomplishes the purpose.
Also, not everyone is rich. Softwares check for Windows 95 compatibility, even. I'm quite sure some people will just stick to their current consoles.
And what will happen if somehow PC gets Extra Large Worlds? How will that be ported to consoles?
I say let's see what PC gets, and port that exact content to the consoles, no more no less. Everything else just makes things complicated.
I am not sure if you were there at the time, but on old TO, there was an infamous incident when one of the patches went so wrong that people were unable to play and save games got corrupted. They had to release a hotfix which fixed this one, but caused more ingame bugs. So I don't really care who is responsible, 505 or Engine, as I play on the PC.

Not everyone is rich? Who making wars ? What are you talking about? You just making wars now. Are you jealous because we want equal sizes of worlds? Anyway if you don't care who is responsible for console terraria why you even here ? You upset Engine Software, and 505! what are you thinking man?

Not everyone is rich? Who making wars ? What are you talking about? You just making wars now. Are you jealous because we want equal sizes of worlds? Anyway if you don't care who is responsible for console terraria why you even here ?
Yes, not everyone is rich. The fact that you repeated my point proves you don't have your own.
I am all for equal content on all platforms. But that shouldn't come "exclusively" in the form of "Extra large Worlds". Instead, the size of worlds should be equalized with that of the PC. Then we can talk about real XL worlds.
You upset Engine Software, and 505! what are you thinking man?
Wow, what an unscrupulous villain I am. I have caused them have many sleepless nights.

I will ask you again, if you are playing on pc and don't care why you are still here? You are fighting for something?

Yes, not everyone is rich. The fact that you repeated my point proves you don't have your own.
I am all for equal content on all platforms. But that shouldn't come "exclusively" in the form of "Extra large Worlds". Instead, the size of worlds should be equalized with that of the PC. Then we can talk about real XL worlds.

Wow, what an unscrupulous villain I am. I have caused them have many sleepless nights.

Man, you're not worth to explain you why we would like extra large worlds. You are just ignorant.. and I just stop here. Nike Leon you can close this thread I dont care anymore... I don't want to make "star wars" and upset not rich people....

I will ask you again, if you are playing on pc and don't care why you are still here? You are fighting for something?

Man, you're not worth to explain you why we would like extra large worlds. You are just ignorant.. and I just stop here. Nike Leon you can close this thread I dont care anymore... I don't want to make "star wars" and upset not rich people....
You misunderstand. If the wallpaper is put up wrong, you don't stick a lew layer on it. Instead, you take it off and stick it back on correctly. Same with world sizes. We don't want to create a new size to fix what's wrong. We need to resize the worlds to match that of the PC. That's why I'm here, because the consoles got messed up, and I don't think console players should suffer the consequences.

You misunderstand. If the wallpaper is put up wrong, you don't stick a lew layer on it. Instead, you take it off and stick it back on correctly. Same with world sizes. We don't want to create a new size to fix what's wrong. We need to resize the worlds to match that of the PC. That's why I'm here, because the consoles got messed up, and I don't think console players should suffer the consequences.

What? Did you read my first post ? You can't resize worlds! you will have to sacrifice crossplay.
Why just not add world size equal to large like pc have. What's wrong with that? ps3 and 360 can't handle it but ps4 definitely can. so why not add extra world size? Is something wrong gonna happen if get this ? People gonna die? I.S. gonna shoot people because extra large world will appear on ps4/ xboxone. Go more often outside mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom