Game Mechanics Pumpkin Moon Weapons Use Normal Ammo types

Lecic

Steampunker
I see 0 use to the inclusion of specialty ammo types for the ranged weapons of the Pumpkin Moon. I propose that these weapons use normal ammunition, and convert it to the special ammunition upon firing, like the Ice Bow/Marrow/Pulse Bow does with arrows.

So...
Candy Corn Rifle- Fires bullets, converts bullets to candy corns.

Stake Launcher- Fires arrows, converts arrows to stakes.

Jack O' Lantern Launcher- Fires rockets, converts rockets to explosive jack o' lanterns. If the Snowman Cannon can fire regular rockets, why does this one use a unique ammunition type?

These are meant to be special weapons that are themed to the moon's. The main reason they don't use normal ammo types is the varying versions of each ammo. And as someone who uses the pumpkin moon drops a lot I feel this is more of an oversimplifying.

Tl;dr- no support. Just too much oversimplifying.

These are meant to be special weapons that are themed to the moon's. The main reason they don't use normal ammo types is the varying versions of each ammo. And as someone who uses the pumpkin moon drops a lot I feel this is more of an oversimplifying.

Tl;dr- no support. Just too much oversimplifying.
I wouldn't say oversimplifying.. I'd call the way it is now overcomplicating. Range already suffers from needing various ammo types for each range type weapon, but weapon-specific ammo is going too far. It's like wanting the snowman cannon to use its own ammo instead of rockets. It's best to keep it simple.

Think of it this way: If the weapons originally converted arrows, bullets, rockets, etc, instead of having their own ammo, would you suggest for there to be weapon-specific ammo? It doesn't really improve the game, just requires you to keep more and more ammo around.

I wouldn't say oversimplifying.. I'd call the way it is now overcomplicating. Range already suffers from needing various ammo types for each range type weapon, but weapon-specific ammo is going too far. It's like wanting the snowman cannon to use its own ammo instead of rockets. It's best to keep it simple.

Think of it this way: If the weapons originally converted arrows, bullets, rockets, etc, instead of having their own ammo, would you suggest for there to be weapon-specific ammo? It doesn't really improve the game, just requires you to keep more and more ammo around.
Meh. Either way I'm just saying. Its actually easier because the ammo has a special effects.
I don't like the idea of loosing the bouncing effect. And honestly I like having unique weapons with special ammo. But I play tons of rpgs and spend tons of time on fallout

I see 0 use to the inclusion of specialty ammo types for the ranged weapons of the Pumpkin Moon. I propose that these weapons use normal ammunition, and convert it to the special ammunition upon firing, like the Ice Bow/Marrow/Pulse Bow does with arrows.

So...
Candy Corn Rifle- Fires bullets, converts bullets to candy corns.

Stake Launcher- Fires arrows, converts arrows to stakes.

Jack O' Lantern Launcher- Fires rockets, converts rockets to explosive jack o' lanterns. If the Snowman Cannon can fire regular rockets, why does this one use a unique ammunition type?

I like it except the Stake Launcher one.

Meh. Either way I'm just saying. Its actually easier because the ammo has a special effects.
I don't like the idea of loosing the bouncing effect. And honestly I like having unique weapons with special ammo. But I play tons of rpgs and spend tons of time on fallout

There ARE unique weapons with special ammo. Flamethrower, Star Cannon, Blowgun? But the PM ranged weapons function extremely similar to weapons that use existing ammo types. There's no reason for them to use unique ammo.

You wouldn't lose any of the special effects of the weapons, like the bouncing on the candy corn and explosive jack o' lanterns, or the high speed and gravity-immunity of stakes.

A Pulse Bow doesn't need special "Pulse Arrows" to fire, it just uses regular arrows and converts it to pulse on firing.

I like it except the Stake Launcher one.

What's wrong with the Stake Launcher one?

There ARE unique weapons with special ammo. Flamethrower, Star Cannon, Blowgun? But the PM ranged weapons function extremely similar to weapons that use existing ammo types. There's no reason for them to use unique ammo.

You wouldn't lose any of the special effects of the weapons, like the bouncing on the candy corn and explosive jack o' lanterns, or the high speed and gravity-immunity of stakes.

A Pulse Bow doesn't need special "Pulse Arrows" to fire, it just uses regular arrows and converts it to pulse on firing.

What's wrong with the Stake Launcher one?
The Stake Launcher is good as is. Rest is good.

Well, candy corn is ridiculously cheap, but this in my opinion is a ok idea.As a ranger,you should have to pay the price of inventory space due to the amount of damage you can do with certain weapons.No one said you HAD to use a large variety.

Ok, but WHY is the Stake Launcher good as it is? Why should it need to use special ammo instead of just turning arrows into stakes?
It has some differences to note unlike other bows and arrows

-You cannot retrieve fired Stakes
-The Stake Launcher is not affected by the Archery Potion
-Stakes aren't affected by gravity
-Stakes pierce, the majority of the arrows don't
-Arrows are obtained very early while stakes are at the end of hardmode which is a huge differential

It has some differences to note unlike other bows and arrows

-Arrows are obtained very early while stakes are at the end of hardmode which is a huge differential
All that can be said about Pulse Bow and that uses arrows. Except for the archery potion part. Are you sure on that? Because Shroomite classifies stakes as arrows IIRC.

Pulse Bow and Stake Launchers are different.
They seem very similar to me. Just Pulse bounces, and Stake Launcher does more damage.

-You also cannot retrieve Pulse Arrows
-If it isn't, it should as Shroomite classifies the Stake Launcher as a bow
-Pulse Arrows also aren't affected by gravity
-Pulse Arrows also pierce
-As Stakes are dirt cheap and are only available once you get the only weapon that uses them, that doesn't matter. You can buy tons of Stakes once you get the Stake Launcher just as easily as buying lots of Arrows.

To want Stake Launcher to use Stakes is to want Pulse Bow to use special Pulse Arrows. It's much simpler to have the weapon convert instead of needing an ammo just for that one weapon, that is, if it doesn't have other uses (like the Star Cannon's Fallen Stars).

I think that having them consume their own special ammo types is a little ridiculous, because it's just a huge detriment to their use. Almost no one - even a ranger like myself - uses the Candy Corn or Jack o'Lantern Launcher.

They seem very similar to me. Just Pulse bounces, and Stake Launcher does more damage.

-You also cannot retrieve Pulse Arrows
-If it isn't, it should as Shroomite classifies the Stake Launcher as a bow
-Pulse Arrows also aren't affected by gravity
-Pulse Arrows also pierce
-As Stakes are dirt cheap and are only available once you get the only weapon that uses them, that doesn't matter. You can buy tons of Stakes once you get the Stake Launcher just as easily as buying lots of Arrows.

To want Stake Launcher to use Stakes is to want Pulse Bow to use special Pulse Arrows. It's much simpler to have the weapon convert instead of needing an ammo just for that one weapon, that is, if it doesn't have other uses (like the Star Cannon's Fallen Stars).

I don't know there's just a part of me that says no.

They shouldn´t be changed, as the Jack O´Lantern Launcher and the Stake Launcher´s ammo both have damage values not shared by any other ammo types (The former has a lower base damage than rockets, and the latter has the highest damage out of all kinds of arrow), and balance would likely suffer if said damage values were changed.
In the Candy Corn Rifle´s case, it seems to have a similar reason, because, otherwise, Venom Bullets would be very strong with it, due to the piercing.

They shouldn´t be changed, as the Jack O´Lantern Launcher and the Stake Launcher´s ammo both have damage values not shared by any other ammo types (The former has a lower base damage than rockets, and the latter has the highest damage out of all kinds of arrow), and balance would likely suffer if said damage values were changed.
In the Candy Corn Rifle´s case, it seems to have a similar reason, because, otherwise, Venom Bullets would be very strong with it, due to the piercing.
Simple fix: Increase the weapons by the amount of damage their special ammo used, minus around 10-12 damage because new ammo will be used.

It never made sense to me why damages were split between the ammo and a weapon when the weapon only has one ammo compatible with it, with that ammo only being used by that one weapon too.

Simple fix: Increase the weapons by the amount of damage their special ammo used, minus around 10-12 damage because new ammo will be used.

It never made sense to me why damages were split between the ammo and a weapon when the weapon only has one ammo compatible with it, with that ammo only being used by that one weapon too.
That would still cause quite a lot of balance issues, plus, the way it works now causes those weapons to not use up ammo intended to be used by other weapons, while not getting it´s effects (Chlorophyte, Crystal and Ichor Bullets being the most obvious).
The reason why it would be split would likely be in case it got more variations (After all, it is possible that a future update would end up adding, say, a variation on Candy Corn that causes an explosion with Styger-like explosive splinters every time it hits something or ricochets, or a "Candy Corn Shotgun"), or because it would deal the same damage anyways, but allows it to be able to be modified separately.

Back
Top Bottom