Blocks & Decoration Purified Altars (+variations)

How's it looking?

• Total voters
You know what really BUGS me? The fact that purification powder has no effect on altars. Another problem that I think needs solving is that anytime the player wants to craft something at an Altar they have to go all the way to their local world evil (or they might have one closer to their base if they're very lucky). So this an idea I thought of that might just make that a bit more interesting, solve the problem of Altars being inconvenient crafting stations and make it seem less like a point the devs just glossed over with an awkward expression on their faces. I propose a new addition to the game: The Altar of Purity!

All variants are functionally identical to evil Altars: used to craft pre-hardmode boss summons. However, they are not broken with a hammer but a pickaxe. They can be picked up and placed elsewhere as decoration or a fuctional crafting station. Obviously, they wouldn't generate hardmode ores when broken. To make sure that players don't just purify all the Altars before hardmode begins, only altars that rest on non-corrupted blocks can be purified during pre-hardmode. Basically, for those altars nothing would change. Only ones that rest on blocks other than Ebon/Crim stone/sand/grass would be able to be purified. During hardmode, all altars can be purified.

The variant of altar you get depends on the blocks that are beneath it at the time of purification. See "The science behind it" for more info. There are variants for each biome, but if the Altar is on a block that is not part of a particular biome at the time of creation, it will always be an Altar of Purity. Also, each variant has a unique name along with a unique sprite! They are:
  • Altar of Purity (for stone, ebon/crim/pearlstone, dirt, or any block that isn't on this list)
  • Mossy Altar (for mud, jungle grass, rich mahogany, or one of the blocks that jungle shrines can be made from)
  • Altar of Frost (for snow, ice, thin ice, boreal wood and snow/ice brick)
  • Sandstorm Altar (for sand, its compacted variants and any block that can make up desert cabins)
  • Coral Altar (for sand, but only in the ocean biome)
  • Altar of Hell (for ash, Hellstone and obsidian/Hellstone brick)
  • Spore Altar (Mushroom grass, placed glowing mushroom blocks)
  • Marble Mineraltar (3 guesses which block this one is for)
  • Granite Mineraltar (again, it should be obvious)
Cool names for the marble and granite ones by @Yello_Xplorer. I also thought of one I'm not sure about, the Hallowed Altar. This one is created when any Altar, purified or not, is converted by the Hallow.

Sprites are coming soon.

Seeing as Altars are 3 blocks wide, the chosen type would be based off the majority of blocks it sits on. For example, if an Altar rests on two mud blocks with one dirt block in the middle, it would be a Mossy Altar. But if the three blocks it sits on are different, it would choose the type based on the middle block.

How about it friendlies? Do you wanna see this in game? Comment with feedback and vote on the poll please! And thanks for wasting your time reading this piece of crap!

Last edited:
It would be cool to see some new purity altars, but making a crap ton of them can clog your device, especially with this 1.3.6 update. Also, I think the Marble Altar could be called the Marble Mineraltar and the Granite one being the Granite Mineraltar. Though I don't know if Altars can spawn in the Underworld, if so probably with a small chance.

Thus, I summarize my post, +1 support!

Nice names, I will edit them into the OP if thats ok? And with Hell Altars I was thinking about the ash that generates on top of the underworld rather than its main surface. I have never actually seen an altar in hell, but I can't see a reason for them not to generate there. Thanks for the support!

This is cool. However in my console Hardmode world, I would lose all my Demon Altars because they are all probably on top of PearlStone. Just about half my world is hallowed, because I was dumb enough to clemtaminate any non-hallow area I saw. Now I'm just lazing around, keeping my house pure because I'm sick and tired of the Hallow.

Back
Top Bottom