Biomes & Nature Purpose of Ocean Tunnels (1.4)

MrGgggg243

Terrarian
The oceans in a world have a chance of spawning an ocean tunnel, however the tunnel doesn't add anything to the game whatsoever. Sure, there may be a couple (or none) water chests - but the ocean floor already offered that reward. (It's essentially a second ocean floor).

I suggest rethinking the point of the tunnel. Why should a player want to go there? What's the reward?
I like the idea of gearing up with gill potions, shine potions, flippers, etc. to go adventuring under the ocean. Maybe the biome could extend further down, providing a more flushed out mini-biome experience? An underwater labyrinth perhaps with some unique enemies and rewarding loot (e.g. buried treasure chests, a pre-hardmode summoning weapon / armour, valuable ores).

I understand the devs won't be adding new content anymore, but I do find the ocean tunnels quite redundant. Does anyone else share this opinion? Am I missing something great about the ocean tunnels?

Attachments

• 2020-05-19 17_43_02-Window.png
    2020-05-19 17_43_02-Window.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 618
Probably some gentle inspiration from modding, but i agree also its kind of pointless other than to take away the uninteresting downward gradient of sand.

Deep sea minibiome and entrance into deep-sea underground would have been a better use for it, to save people losing their stuff to a super deep ocean/having monsters rise from below en-mass crossing over into the wrong biome, before going into a Neath like pitch black sea of horror.

Any excuse to build a base hooked up to pumps & opportunity for the steam-punker to spit out sunless sea references when housed there.

It has the potential of becoming an entrance to something like mini-temple, or even at least like pyramid that don't have to exist in every world, just something more than a second level of boring ocean. I mean, Atlantis is pretty good concept isn't it? I wouldn't be this disappointed if 1.4 is not the last major update.

What it could be : Ocean Tunnels could be more like a Bee Hive in the jungle, with it having a block that the player destroys in order to summon a boss or event. There could also be something like the bees that spawn in a way similar to breaking those blocks, or better yet breaking the eggs in the underground dessert biome. We need more biomes that scream "THIS IS WHAT I AM" like the Bee Hive does.

How this would be done using bosses : The way this could happen is Surrounding it with corals and giving it unique background walls such as shell ridden sand or something similar. And in terms for the boss it could be similar to the Queen Bee. What I mean by this is it could be a colossal squid that uses ink based or coral based projectiles. It could align to shoot a laser in a large circle as the boss rotates, effectively being like MoonLord's eye laser attack. It could have suckers that brab on to the player or it could be like the Flying PirateShip in the way that you have to destroy the tentacles not the boss itself. Another option could be to have a jellyfish boss that uses electrical based attacks. Such could be an attack that is based around the jellyfish boss that stuns and hurts the player if they are within a certain range of the jellyfish boss, or arcs of current that, upon reaching the player, explode into balls of electricity. Since there should be a variety of attacks there would also be slow moving ball of electricity or electricity mines, and a fast attack like the before mentioned attack for the colossal squid boss.

How this would be done using events : The player could be granted an event only buff that grants them the ability to breathe underwater, or when an enemy dies it could release an air bubble allowing the player to have their breathe regained. Enemies could include the earlier mentioned bosses, drowned versions of other enemies, a larger crab variation, or even water elementals or other water based enemies. It can also give the player water based loot, weather it would be an item that gives the player buffs, or a usable weapon or accessory. An item that when equipped gives the player stat bonuses when in water, like the SeaShell. Or a throw weapon like water balloons that would do splash damage. Or, and this is a stretch, a new summoner weapon that summons an eel that gets longer the more you summon it, similar to the StarDust Dragon Staff, except maybe late Pre-HardMode or early HardMode, along with a new light pet like a jellyfish that follows you around, and when in water grants increased light! And maybe even go as far as make an item that grants water breathing.

What else this could offer : #1 : It could be yet another dungeon like biome that presents a long winding path all the way down to hell or near it. #2 : it could be an abandoned underwater town with some loot or even already viable NPC housing. Along with, and since the final large update came out I doubt this, but another water based NPC. Maybe something like the "Mr.Fish" in reference to SCP Dr.Wondertainment that could sell water related items. This NPC could sell a variety of glowsticks or different colored water torches, and maybe even a few new water accessories.
These are my thoughts on this amazing opportunity biome. Please be sure to tell me if you liked my ideas and feel free to add on to or otherwise change parts of my ideas to suit the gameplay more!

What it could be : Ocean Tunnels could be more like a Bee Hive in the jungle, with it having a block that the player destroys in order to summon a boss or event. There could also be something like the bees that spawn in a way similar to breaking those blocks, or better yet breaking the eggs in the underground dessert biome. We need more biomes that scream "THIS IS WHAT I AM" like the Bee Hive does.

How this would be done using bosses : The way this could happen is Surrounding it with corals and giving it unique background walls such as shell ridden sand or something similar. And in terms for the boss it could be similar to the Queen Bee. What I mean by this is it could be a colossal squid that uses ink based or coral based projectiles. It could align to shoot a laser in a large circle as the boss rotates, effectively being like MoonLord's eye laser attack. It could have suckers that brab on to the player or it could be like the Flying PirateShip in the way that you have to destroy the tentacles not the boss itself. Another option could be to have a jellyfish boss that uses electrical based attacks. Such could be an attack that is based around the jellyfish boss that stuns and hurts the player if they are within a certain range of the jellyfish boss, or arcs of current that, upon reaching the player, explode into balls of electricity. Since there should be a variety of attacks there would also be slow moving ball of electricity or electricity mines, and a fast attack like the before mentioned attack for the colossal squid boss.

How this would be done using events : The player could be granted an event only buff that grants them the ability to breathe underwater, or when an enemy dies it could release an air bubble allowing the player to have their breathe regained. Enemies could include the earlier mentioned bosses, drowned versions of other enemies, a larger crab variation, or even water elementals or other water based enemies. It can also give the player water based loot, weather it would be an item that gives the player buffs, or a usable weapon or accessory. An item that when equipped gives the player stat bonuses when in water, like the SeaShell. Or a throw weapon like water balloons that would do splash damage. Or, and this is a stretch, a new summoner weapon that summons an eel that gets longer the more you summon it, similar to the StarDust Dragon Staff, except maybe late Pre-HardMode or early HardMode, along with a new light pet like a jellyfish that follows you around, and when in water grants increased light! And maybe even go as far as make an item that grants water breathing.

What else this could offer : #1 : It could be yet another dungeon like biome that presents a long winding path all the way down to hell or near it. #2 : it could be an abandoned underwater town with some loot or even already viable NPC housing. Along with, and since the final large update came out I doubt this, but another water based NPC. Maybe something like the "Mr.Fish" in reference to SCP Dr.Wondertainment that could sell water related items. This NPC could sell a variety of glowsticks or different colored water torches, and maybe even a few new water accessories.
These are my thoughts on this amazing opportunity biome. Please be sure to tell me if you liked my ideas and feel free to add on to or otherwise change parts of my ideas to suit the gameplay more!

I love all of you ideas, especially the underwater event, I can hear my diving gear inside forgotten chest screaming in joy. There could be a small bubble stream appear in the center to use for breathing, but also indirectly limit you movement if you don't have underwater accessories to extend breath time.

They currently are, literally saying, newbie drowning trap. Because If you try exploring It after finding without the equipments to survive underwater, you'll sleep with the fish.

They currently are, literally saying, newbie drowning trap. Because If you try exploring It after finding without the equipments to survive underwater, you'll sleep with the fish.
That's what makes it so disappointing, you're like "Oh snap I wonder what is down there once I find the means to go down there!" And its nothing lol

The oceans in a world have a chance of spawning an ocean tunnel, however the tunnel doesn't add anything to the game whatsoever. Sure, there may be a couple (or none) water chests - but the ocean floor already offered that reward. (It's essentially a second ocean floor).

I suggest rethinking the point of the tunnel. Why should a player want to go there? What's the reward?
I like the idea of gearing up with gill potions, shine potions, flippers, etc. to go adventuring under the ocean. Maybe the biome could extend further down, providing a more flushed out mini-biome experience? An underwater labyrinth perhaps with some unique enemies and rewarding loot (e.g. buried treasure chests, a pre-hardmode summoning weapon / armour, valuable ores).

I understand the devs won't be adding new content anymore, but I do find the ocean tunnels quite redundant. Does anyone else share this opinion? Am I missing something great about the ocean tunnels?
Honestly, rather than it being like some sort of arm reaching out that has.. what, seaweed? some new walls? maybe a chest? I expected it to be like chasms that went into a lower cavern layer, almost exactly like the corruption but bigger. Currently, the ocean lacks so much and has such great potential that seeing them add a single little cave to it (which doesn't always generate, mind you) is so disheartening and such a half-hearted attempt at making it more lively. Seriously, the ocean has had little to no changes at all since they were implemented. This doesn't count as content because there's nothing new to explore, it's just a single cave that doesn't go on for long at all.

My last world did have an ocean tunnel that led to a cave. It went all the way into the Underground layer, which by the way has a new background and is still considered an ocean biome. Sure it's not ground shaking but I like it and at least it's something new.

I almost built an underground base. Was going to make a mech port with a submarine attached to it.

My last world did have an ocean tunnel that led to a cave. It went all the way into the Underground layer, which by the way has a new background and is still considered an ocean biome. Sure it's not ground shaking but I like it and at least it's something new.

I almost built an underground base. Was going to make a mech port with a submarine attached to it.
See, but that's the issue. You need to get really lucky to get one to connect to a cave, let alone actually get one.

You could dig one, wouldn't take long. What makes this easy is that the tunnel has support for the sand blocks above your head. You'd just have to dig a bit deeper til you reach dirt or rock. Jungles are really the only biome that is difficult to create..

I could see the value of having ocean tunnels be guaranteed to generate across all oceans and lead to a biome similar to the Aquatic Depths of Thorium.

I'd love to have a reason to go to the Ocean at all other than just to save the Angler and maybe make some fun builds for an Ocean village. It'd be great if I could take those Water Chest items I find underground and actually apply them for some sort of use, I could find a Flipper and say "ooh, let's go to the Ocean, I could find a Diving Helmet and explore the watery depths!" or go into Hardmode and say "right, let's go to the Ocean and get some loot there, I got my Arctic Diving Gear ready specifically for this situation!", but there's just no reason to really do so right now. Most of the Ocean-related items you find right now at best are mainly just used as something you slap into your empty accessory slot until you find something better, and that's a shame.

No.

Ocean - Pirate Maps
Ocean - Sharks for Shark Fins
Diving Gear - Substitute until Neptune's Shell, in all sorts of Biomes
Ocean - Arena for................Boss fights? Yes!
Ocean - Terraspark Boots
Ocean - Anglers Quests
Ocean - Duke Fishron

Artificial Biomes - Pretty easily made. Especially when dealing with sand. It drops fast and you only need to be in one spot to place blocks in numerous columns.

I still don't see what the problem is.

No.

Ocean - Pirate Maps
Ocean - Sharks for Shark Fins
Diving Gear - Substitute until Neptune's Shell, in all sorts of Biomes
Ocean - Arena for................Boss fights? Yes!
Ocean - Terraspark Boots
Ocean - Anglers Quests
Ocean - Duke Fishron

Artificial Biomes - Pretty easily made. Especially when dealing with sand. It drops fast and you only need to be in one spot to place blocks in numerous columns.

I still don't see what the problem is.

The problem is the lack of underwater content. From your list, only Shark Fins, Water Walking Boots, and Diving Gear are related with underwater. And with only this amount of content, Diving Gear is not that valuable. Ocean tunnels have potential to add more interesting underwater content, but as it is now, it is disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom