PC Putting paint in the ammo slot makes it not auto-search-place with the smart cursor.

ShadowTiger

Duke Fishron
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
... for lack of a better word.

When paint is in the regular inventory:
Painting with the Smart Cursor and just holding in the button has the little yellow box roving all over the area near the cursor for places to automatically paint. This is normal, functional behavior. It's also the expected behavior for the smart cursor.

When paint is in the ammo slot:
The Smart Cursor no longer searches for unpainted areas to paint. It just stays in one place, not using any paint even if you hold in the button.

Is this normal expected behavior?

------------

In the attached WebM file depicting the bug, you can see in the first half that I'm using the smart cursor to paint along a wide swath of blocks while keeping the mouse still.

Then I move the Deep Red paint into the ammo slot and start painting with it. It doesn't rove all over looking for unpainted areas, and just remains in one spot.

Attachments

• Terraria-PaintSmartCursorBug.webm
    2.3 MB
Last edited:
I was not able to reproduce this. I tried with the Paintbrush and Spectre Paintbrush, and both used the paint from an ammo slot.

Could you please attach a screenshot of your inventory? There might be a specific setup or paint type causing a problem.

I was not able to reproduce this. I tried with the Paintbrush and Spectre Paintbrush, and both used the paint from an ammo slot.
I mean, they do use the paint from the ammo slot. That's not the issue, I'm happy to say.

The issue is that the Smart Cursor doesn't automatically paint on all nearby surfaces, one at a time, when you hold in the button (Like placing walls, for example, if you just hold in the button with the smart cursor active.) when the paint is in the ammo slot. But it does when the paint is not in the ammo slot. Or, rather, if there is no paint in the ammo slot.

It does seek out to use the paint that's in the ammo slot before the other paints in your inventory, yes.

Could you please attach a screenshot of your inventory? There might be a specific setup or paint type causing a problem.
I'll see if I can reproduce my inventory when I get home, yes. I'm posting from work at the moment.

(Apologies for the double post!)
I have uploaded a WebM attachment featuring a visual description of what happens involving this bug.

Thank you for the video - that was a big help!
The problem appears to be if you toggle smart cursor on after selecting the brush, it won't work. If you have smart cursor on before selecting the brush, it works as expected. Then after triggering the bug, the brush won't work with smart cursor at all. Also affects the Spectre Paintbrush.

This is reported now. :)

Edit: The issue is more nuanced than I previously advised, but I was able to reliably reproduce it. Something to do with smart cursor + paint in the ammo slot + paint in the main inventory.
  1. Have two or more paints in the main inventory or hotbar
  2. Turn smart cursor off
  3. Move the highest priority paint from inventory to an Ammo slot
  4. Select the paintbrush
  5. Turn smart cursor on - it doesn't move around

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom