Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
EDIT: got fixed with 1.4.3.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Standing 7 blocks above a pylon the player can not right click it anymore but teleporting to another pylon still works (clicking target at world map) (6 blocks above works with right click).
Standing 4-6 blocks below it the player are able to right click it but unable to use it for teleport.

(Support of at least 4 blocks below it would be nice)

EDIT: Still the case in 1.4.1.2 (but Hat Rack got fixed)
Edit2: still the case in 1.4.2.1: First time reading this? You can skip to new post below

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that this is much of a bug because the player has a reach limit, and opening the map is different then right clicking the pylon so.... but hey I don't know if that was supposed to be intended though.

I wouldn't say that this is much of a bug because the player has a reach limit
But if you stand below it the player can right click it which opens the map (for selecting target pylon) but he can not teleport because too far away.
In source code they probably shifted the vertical distance calculation one too high.

The reach range is not necessarily the same as the close enough range. We do not consider that a bug, especially since reach can be increased through various means.

The reach range is not necessarily the same as the close enough range. We do not consider that a bug, especially since reach can be increased through various means.
Are you sure about this? e.g with Extendo grip the right click range and the close enough range extend by two blocks (btw tool tip says 3 blocks). The same vertical offset between right click and close enough remains.

Keeping it as it is would speak very much against usability.
teleport works way above it (but not right click)
1602690874426.png
............ but not in the closest floor below it (right click does)
1602690841598.png

Being able to click it does not mean you are close enough to use it. They are two entirely separate values.

In fact, you don't even need to click it to use it. You can open up your map and teleport with pylons as long as you are near pylons. The right-click-to-open-map feature is simply an additional mechanic that is there for convenience.

As for the "above and below" thing, it likely has to do with the exact part of the player's body and the pylon tile that count for the check.

But if tool range bonus effect both by the same amount and so the error is always present what speaks against aligning both?
At left/right/top teleportation is always 1 block further away possible than right click.
Only at bottom right-click is 2 blocks more than teleportation.

----
Did some check in source code. Pylon use distance and right click are based on the same variables. Both use special case code for Pylon.
For Right click the same sub section as Hat Rack (in InInteractionRange, not 100% about this). Hat Rack does work from one floor below. However MouseOver is visible from one block too low for Hat Rack as well.
In IsPlayerNearAPylon -> player.IsTileTypeInInteractionRange loop for horizontal using until '<=' max. The vertical loop only goes to '<' max instead of '<='

Last edited:
I'll have to bring it up to Yorai, I didn't do the code work on it, so I can't say further until tomorrow.

I'll have to bring it up to Yorai, I didn't do the code work on it, so I can't say further until tomorrow.
Strangest thing that you say that and she random gets on and starts viewing this thread. Sorry for interrupting this bug report.

Still the case in 1.4.2.1 ;(
The right-click-range of the pylon is not equal to the use range (as it is for any other item)
Here some more pics:

from above no right click possible:
1617491413022.png
1617491477472.png
but I can teleport if I open the world map

From below I can right click on it:
1617491569400.png
.....at right click it will open the world map......
1617491652330.png
but I can not teleport

even if i stay closer:
1617491755356.png
.....I can right click the pylon...........
1617491802665.png
but I can not use it

------------------------
to work I need to stay at least at that height:
1617491958672.png
----I can right click the pylon------>
1617492015369.png
and use it to teleport

anything else can be used from below:
1617492479748.png

Last edited:
Back