Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Hi, I would love you to do a little work on this issue i've been having in my terraria playtime. I am playing the game from a 2gb Ram pc and I'm forced to play it with the map disabled to get better fps but sadly disabling the map is a sacrifice for the pylon usage, which I find pointless since one of the "Journey's end" biggest addition is the pylon system. I've had thoughts of what the Pylon menu could be but I'm also totally agreing with watever option you will bring to solve this issue if you had that in mind... Perhaps I will keep loving Terraria since is the only cool game I'm able to play in my toaster :D

Wait how do you disable the map? As far as I know you can only disable the minimap, the full size map can still be opened using the hotkey.

Probably the Pylon system will need a lite version of the map, to see where you can go.
Beside I have an idea to solve this problem:

With the minimap disabled, It could simply show a dialogue window, showing the Pylons you can teleport to.
You can only have one Pylon of each type in the world, right? So you just need to click on the one of the biome you want to go.
Simple :D.

I also tried to play without a map (my PC is also very basic), I realized that I cannot play without a map, I am very used to it, although I play with 800x600 (among other things) to earn FPS, and if the game has the option to play without a map, I think: yes, pylons should be possible without a map.

Probably the Pylon system will need a lite version of the map, to see where you can go.
Beside I have an idea to solve this problem:

With the minimap disabled, It could simply show a dialogue window, showing the Pylons you can teleport to.
You can only have one Pylon of each type in the world, right? So you just need to click on the one of the biome you want to go.
Simple :D.

I have one more idea although it is even simpler:
Without a map, when clicking on a pylon, the game could teleport the character to the next nearest pylon, when clicking again in the new pylon, the game teleports the character to the next nearest pylon other than the first (the system in this case needs to know which pylons are active and not send the character to a repeated pylon until he reaches the last in the list, where the system sends the character back to the first finally after the character goes through all the pylons)

I used a lot of words to describe the system but in the end result it doesn't even need an dialogue window to choose the pylons, just click on the pylon, although an dialogue window to choose the pylons makes the system more polished.

Last edited:
It's probably a rare case that a player would have their map disabled so this scenario may have been overlooked. This is reported now, thank you.

It's probably a rare case that a player would have their map disabled so this scenario may have been overlooked. This is reported now, thank you.

As an FYI before Pylons I would always play with the minimap disabled. I feel it makes the game more challenging. Soooo if there could be a fix that would allow Pylons to work with the map disabled that would be greatly appreciated.

Pylons, like some other map related functions (Wormhole Potions) require maps fundamentally for their function. This is intended, and if you turn off maps, then you cannot use them.

Pylons, like some other map related functions (Wormhole Potions) require maps fundamentally for their function. This is intended, and if you turn off maps, then you cannot use them.

But it doesn't make sense though. The Pylons do not utilize the minimap. So if you just disable the minimap it shouldn't matter because the Pylons use the full size map. Same goes for wormhole potions.

I'm pretty sure he's not talking about the minimap., but the map. The one you hit "M" for, not the one you hit "Tab" for. Minimap wouldn't be very useful for portals anyway. You can't see enough of the map to make it work.

A list might be fine for single player, or a small number participants in a multiplayer game, but if they are coding it in, they have to account for larger games.

Why not just upgrade your RAM? 2 gigs is below the minimum specification. You should be pleased you can get it to run at all.

I also tried to play without a map (my PC is also very basic), I realized that I cannot play without a map, I am very used to it, although I play with 800x600 (among other things) to earn FPS, and if the game has the option to play without a map, I think: yes, pylons should be possible without a map.

I have one more idea although it is even simpler:
Without a map, when clicking on a pylon, the game could teleport the character to the next nearest pylon, when clicking again in the new pylon, the game teleports the character to the next nearest pylon other than the first (the system in this case needs to know which pylons are active and not send the character to a repeated pylon until he reaches the last in the list, where the system sends the character back to the first finally after the character goes through all the pylons)

I used a lot of words to describe the system but in the end result it doesn't even need an dialogue window to choose the pylons, just click on the pylon, although an dialogue window to choose the pylons makes the system more polished.
yeah, or maybe show a ringed menu like the great design to choose the pylons

Back
Top Bottom