Game Mechanics Pylons Should Make Towns Immune to Corruption.

As the title says, I feel as though Pylons should not only take away enemy spawns, but prevent the spread/initial intrusion of Crimson/Corruption within the area.

1590332908436.png

For example here is my Cavern Pylon, I was wondering why I couldn't teleport to it after defeating the Wall of Flesh, and that was because Crimson immediately took over the entire area
basically making it so my town was completely unusable until I enlist the ranks of Steampunker.

Just saying that the Pylon in its 50 block wide radius (or whatever it is) should create a sort of safety bubble from being corrupted so NPCs can still live comfortably in their respective houses.

Sort of like another game I know?...

1590333113424.png

That makes sense! I think so too, especially if that town contains special NPCs that are kinda required for game progression (like if you dont have them you‘re going to have a bad time in hardmode)
TERRARIA OTHERWORLD I PRESUME?!

Last edited:
I agree,but,you could use the clentaminator,that could take time to clean,but its an fast way.
Also,i think Crimson expands in some sort of X form.
Crimson or Corruption being the first stick.
And hallow the other one.
I hope you understand me.

I can see many arguments on the anti-side of things but I disagree with this one entirely. Take pylons away and you still have a Cavern base that you can't house NPCs.

What is available now is Sunflowers. Unless this got changed too. Plant enough of them and it doesn't matter what is happening in the Cavern. But that would look silly? Yes. Make a hidden room and go to town with some shadow paint. I've made Crimson mini-towns before using this and it works great.

That should fix things if you do not want to take the time to get rid of the Crimson.

I think one of the main problems OP meant here is not just whether it's crimsoned or not, but that NPCs will try to move away from there, thus it won't be a town anymore, so it won't be a safe area, and there won't be enough NPCs for the pylon to function, thus losing an anchor point.
You probably placed the pylon there because it's an useful travel spot, so losing it is kind of a pain.

I wonder though if it would protect the area in an 50 blocks radius, wouldn't the game still consider the houses "corrupted"?

Also, this is not directly related, but NPCs like to walk around their house, but that is not always a safe area... and you would think monsters don't spawn in towns, but once you leave the town, monsters can spawn into towns. I went to gather some spider fangs in a spider cave next to the town, and suddenly, before I could do anything, 2 black recluses spawned into the town and killed the clothier and the barkeep. and then it wasn't a town anymore either.
NPCs are way too fragile against hardmode things...

I can see many arguments on the anti-side of things but I disagree with this one entirely. Take pylons away and you still have a Cavern base that you can't house NPCs.

What is available now is Sunflowers. Unless this got changed too. Plant enough of them and it doesn't matter what is happening in the Cavern. But that would look silly? Yes. Make a hidden room and go to town with some shadow paint. I've made Crimson mini-towns before using this and it works great.

That should fix things if you do not want to take the time to get rid of the Crimson.

Do sunflowers work against mass corrupted cause from entering hardmode? If not, the only effective solution to the corrupted town is clentaminator from steampunker that is lock behind one mechanical boss.

Do sunflowers work against mass corrupted cause from entering hardmode? If not, the only effective solution to the corrupted town is clentaminator from steampunker that is lock behind one mechanical boss.

Unless 1.4 changed things it works for both Crimson/Corruption. Plus, these reduce spawn rates so those creatures will appear less. They'll probably come anyways so purification is the best bet.

Yeah it could still be Crimson, just if NPCs could still live in it only if there is a pylon already there to "shield" them from it just as Sora said to still have that anchor point

The sunflowers prevent infection on the 2 grass blocks under the sunflower, except in the case of WoF dying the first time and making his V shaped infection through the world, which breaks the sunflowers into items and transforms the blocks. The sunflowers do not stop nor halt spread outside of the 2 blocks though, and even if you made a straight wall of sunflowers it would still be considered an infected biome because of the blocks above and below it. You'd either have to clentaminate it, dig out an empty space around the area (to prevent future spread) and Purification Powder it, or dig out the whole thing and block swap it with pure blocks. Keep in mind that you gotta be 6 blocks away to prevent spread, and that infected grass on the bottom of a cave will grow infected vines downwards, which will then spread the infection. So replace any ceilings of grass, dirt, or mud with something else. Stone works, clay works, ash works, etc etc

Also I would love to see that purity bubble thing make a comeback in the pylons. That would not only be really helpful, it also looks cool!

The sunflowers prevent infection on the 2 grass blocks under the sunflower, except in the case of WoF dying the first time and making his V shaped infection through the world, which breaks the sunflowers into items and transforms the blocks. The sunflowers do not stop nor halt spread outside of the 2 blocks though, and even if you made a straight wall of sunflowers it would still be considered an infected biome because of the blocks above and below it. You'd either have to clentaminate it, dig out an empty space around the area (to prevent future spread) and Purification Powder it, or dig out the whole thing and block swap it with pure blocks. Keep in mind that you gotta be 6 blocks away to prevent spread, and that infected grass on the bottom of a cave will grow infected vines downwards, which will then spread the infection. So replace any ceilings of grass, dirt, or mud with something else. Stone works, clay works, ash works, etc etc

Also I would love to see that purity bubble thing make a comeback in the pylons. That would not only be really helpful, it also looks cool!

I'm not talking about spread prevention. I'm talking of about everything being contaminated then using Sunflowers. The usage of Sunflowers here would be to allow NPCs to live in a contaminated Biome.

The original idea isn't a bad one other than the fact that you get to ignore a major part of the game for your base/npcs, which is also a major part of the game. Contamination is intentional as are it's effects. I don't particularly think its a good road to start traveling on because many of great games have been ruined in an attempt to make it PG so anyone can play it.

What I am seeing is "I don't want to decontaminate", which there is numerous ways to do. Throw block swap in as well.

How about we create Force Field armor? It would prevent all damage from monsters that spawn in Corruption/Crimson. Then, we could make a one-hit kill Boss Disintegration gun.

I'm not talking about spread prevention. I'm talking of about everything being contaminated then using Sunflowers. The usage of Sunflowers here would be to allow NPCs to live in a contaminated Biome.

Oh, I never known about this before. This should be the easiest way to keep NPCs in the town.

Steps to Corruption-proof an estate:
  1. Do a lot of mining, save up Stone Block
  2. Make Heavy Work Bench
  3. Make a ton of Stone Slab
  4. Find the spot you want to Corruption-proof
  5. Dig out a rectangular border in the ground 3 tiles thick (including the background)
  6. Fill this border with Stone Slab (do not put background)
C&C are not able to spread across a 3-tile gap except by extending tendrils from infected grass. Thus, an uninterrupted, incorruptible wall 3 tiles thick is sufficient to keep C&C on one side. Stone Slab is just the most convenient incorruptible block.

God please yes, corrupted towns are a bigger problem than ever and a completely uneccesary one that adds nothing to gameplay

The original idea isn't a bad one other than the fact that you get to ignore a major part of the game for your base/npcs, which is also a major part of the game. Contamination is intentional as are it's effects. I don't particularly think its a good road to start traveling on because many of great games have been ruined in an attempt to make it PG so anyone can play it.

What I am seeing is "I don't want to decontaminate", which there is numerous ways to do. Throw block swap in as well.

How about we create Force Field armor? It would prevent all damage from monsters that spawn in Corruption/Crimson. Then, we could make a one-hit kill Boss Disintegration gun.
Capture 2020-05-24 23_26_19.png

Not saying a don't want to decontaminate, in fact this is what I've done so far (removed a large amount of physical blocks from the top and the bottom) and it is still showing up as a Crimson biome (need to spruce up the right side maybe?) but the houses are right next to that pylon in the middle.

Also I'm playing on Master mode right now and things currently two shot me... perhaps this is just what I signed up for :red:

View attachment 273861
Not saying a don't want to decontaminate, in fact this is what I've done so far (removed a large amount of physical blocks from the top and the bottom) and it is still showing up as a Crimson biome (need to spruce up the right side maybe?) but the houses are right next to that pylon in the middle.

Also I'm playing on Master mode right now and things currently two shot me... perhaps this is just what I signed up for :red:

You should be fine except I think Crimson walls count towards the biome tile count?

The focus should be near the NPC homes, with whatever tactic you prefer. Do keep in mind though that once you decontaminate you'll also want to prevent it from reappearing. You appear to be to the left of a Jungle so that can be tricky with vines. If I was in your scenario another idea would be to using Mining potions and block swap, using non-contaminatible blocks.

You've picked a great location visually so you may want to try Sunflowers instead. That area directly beneath the pylon, that has the stone/dirt blocks and appears to be around 90 tiles wide would be a perfect spot to put sunflowers. Make a wide 3 or 4 block high room ( forgot the sunflower height), and place dirt blocks for the room's floor. Then use grass seeds or staff of regrowth to make grass appear on them. Now plant the sunflowers. You shouldn't have to worry about it getting affected as your base seems to be isolated on an island. Then finish things off with shadow paint and you have an area that looks pretty much the same as what you have now, only NPCs can live there.

I'm not sure if this got changed or may potentially got bugged so wouldn't hurt just to place sunflowers first to see if it does the trick. If it works you could do what I listed above and have a fix for things.

You should be fine except I think Crimson walls count towards the biome tile count?

The focus should be near the NPC homes, with whatever tactic you prefer. Do keep in mind though that once you decontaminate you'll also want to prevent it from reappearing. You appear to be to the left of a Jungle so that can be tricky with vines. If I was in your scenario another idea would be to using Mining potions and block swap, using non-contaminatible blocks.

You've picked a great location visually so you may want to try Sunflowers instead. That area directly beneath the pylon, that has the stone/dirt blocks and appears to be around 90 tiles wide would be a perfect spot to put sunflowers. Make a wide 3 or 4 block high room ( forgot the sunflower height), and place dirt blocks for the room's floor. Then use grass seeds or staff of regrowth to make grass appear on them. Now plant the sunflowers. You shouldn't have to worry about it getting affected as your base seems to be isolated on an island. Then finish things off with shadow paint and you have an area that looks pretty much the same as what you have now, only NPCs can live there.

I'm not sure if this got changed or may potentially got bugged so wouldn't hurt just to place sunflowers first to see if it does the trick. If it works you could do what I listed above and have a fix for things.
Took out even more now around 10 blocks back on the right, 6 more on the top and bottom, and the walls, still Crimson~
I'm honestly at a loss I've been trying to save this place for like 3 hrs straight now xD
Also sunflowers only prevent spread from passing by those blocks, adding them did nothing to help NPCs live there

Took out even more now around 10 blocks back on the right, 6 more on the top and bottom, and the walls, still Crimson~
I'm honestly at a loss I've been trying to save this place for like 3 hrs straight now xD
Also sunflowers only prevent spread from passing by those blocks, adding them did nothing to help NPCs live there
You can try to add hallow blocks to counterbalance Crimson.

You can try to add hallow blocks to counterbalance Crimson.
That is actually true. I used holy water to save most of the desert and create barriers at the edges of the jungle after the original crimson somehow bypassed my previous, pre-hardmode barrier (there was probably some crimstone deposits I didn't notice) and the V spawned right through the desert.
I consider later maybe clemtaminating some areas to return them to their purity state, but until that, the hallow works quite well to keep things safe from the evil biomes.

Back
Top Bottom