NPCs & Enemies Pyrantula

How's my suggestion?

• Total voters

Darthkitten

Paladin
So I'm fully aware that something as complex as a boss has very little chance to make it into the full game, but I don't really care. Maybe I'll get lucky and certain aspects will be added, but I'm mainly doing this for fun, so without further ado, I present to you...

PYRANTULA!

Xvjn7qp.png

Pyrantula: Scourge of the Underworld
(Difficulty: All Mechs defeated)

Life (Body): 20,000
Life (Leg): 3,000
Damage (Body): 40
Damage (Leg): 20
Defense(Body & Leg): 11

Each of Pyrantula's legs has it's own health bar. While it is possible to shoot the body right away, the legs may end up taking most of the hits.
Once a leg's heath reaches zero, the outer carapace will be destroyed, revealing a scrawny, almost useless leg, and Pyrantula will slow down a little.

Special Attacks:

Molten Armor

NcQAL3Z.png

Several of Pyrantula's attacks and drops inflict the "Molten Armor" debuff. Not only does this debuff deals damage over time, but also reduces armor by a small amount. And it stacks.

1 Stack: 1 damage per second + 2 defense lost.
2 Stacks: 2 damage per second + 4 defense lost.
3 Stacks: 3 damage per second + 6 defense lost.
4 Stacks: 4 damage per second + 8 defense lost.
5 Stacks: 6 damage per second + 10 defense lost.
6 Stacks (max) : 8 damage per second + 12 defense lost.

The debuff goes away after 5-10 seconds.

Little ones
Pyrantula Summons a swarm of about 15 little baby magma spiders. These have the regular spider AI, but they are much faster, and will explode into flaming goo when they contact a player.
uDmnRpf.png
h1taYYe.png

Little One:

Life: 75
Damage: 40 (+ 100% Molten Armor debuff)

Flaming String
Pyrantula shoots out a long orange string. This behaves similarly to the shadowbeam staff, only that the string persists for a short time afterwards, dealing 60 damage to anyone that touches it, and has a 50% chance of inflicting molten armor.

Fire Breath
A flame attack similar to the flamethrower. Deals 35 damage, and has a 50% chance of inflicting molten armor.

Spinning Wheel of Fun
Once Pyrantula has lost half of it's legs, it may enter a state where it will stop in place, and rotate at high speed, shooting off an assortment of flaming projectiles. If it has lost all of it's legs, it will enter this state permanently until defeated.

Magma Blood: Similar to ichor, only it burns instead of lowering defense. 30 Damage (+ 25% Molten Armor debuff).
Burninator: A slow moving orb made completely of fire. Not affected by gravity. 75 Damage (+ 100% Molten Armor! debuff).
Spark: A small, fast moving projectile that glows. 10 Damage.
Little one: On occasion, Pyrantula will release one of it's kin. 40 damage.

Spawn Clotwebs

hkGpagM.png

These background walls spawn wherever Pyrantula walks. Though they themselves can't do anything, they provide material for Little ones to walk on. When the fight ends, they are instantly destroyed. Attempting to harvest them yields nothing.

How to summon:

Pyrantula lives deep below the earth, absorbing heat which it converts into energy. But that doesn't mean it can't enjoy a regular snack.
WpJHtp4.png

Bug BBQ

Crafted using:
- Grasshopper
- Scorpion
- Worm
- Bottled Honey
- Fireblossom
- Hallowed bars

If this is used while in the underworld (During Hardmode), Pyrantula will smell the spicy aroma, and crawl up for a juicy snack. And while it's there, it might as well snack on any foolish humans standing about.

Leaving the underworld during the fight will cause Pyrantula to simply return to the center of the earth, ending the fight.

Drops:
Note: When Pyrantula dies, the loot is dropped in a box of obsidian as so not to fall in lava, similar to the wall of flesh.

Gold_Coin.png

Coins
Pyrantula will drop about 15 coins on death.

jrL7Vte.png

Vigorsilk
100% drop rate (20-30)
This is the substance Pyrantula uses to make it's webs. It is incredibly strong, and can be used in a variety of crafting recipes.

yaZUuSQ.png
CVemor5.png

Pyrantula Trophy

10% drop rate
For hanging on your wall.

P9WRfpP.png

Pyrantula Mask

14.29% drop rate
A creepy mask with nasty-looking fangs.

ekx1cYo.png
K9jlvMC.png
ntZntNH.png
D60mcfr.png
3ty2tUv.png

Lava Lover's Clothing

12% drop rate
A vanity set based around a certain criminal environmental organization.

Crafting:

OORkG9a.png

Magma Whip
15 Vigorsilk, 35 Cobweb, 5 Meteorite bars, 10 cogs
A glowing hook that deals slight damage to enemies that walk into it.
Reach: 32 tiles
Velocity: 13
Hooks: 3
Latching type: Simultaneous
Damage: 5 + 10% chance of setting foes on fire.

zNRFyZo.png

Searing Sawblade
21 Vigorsilk, 49 Cobweb, 10 Hellstone bars, 20 cogs, 20 wire.
120% Axe power
Damage: 79 + 50% chance of Molten Armor.
Speed: 36 (Very Slow)

53rgkcZ.png

Volatizer 9000
21 Vigorsilk, 49 Cobweb, 15 Hellstone bars, Explosives.
A long spear that fires off a small explosion when used.
Damage: 40 + 40 Explosion damage.
Speed: 38 (Very Slow)

xI4taWr.png

Seventh-Circle Spewer
12 Vigorsilk, 28 Cobwebs, 10 Hellstone bars, Illegal Gun parts.
Fires glob-like orbs of lava that explode on impact. When the orbs explode, they set foes on fire.
Uses gel as ammo.
Damage: 70 + 100% chance of inflicting 6 stacks of Molten Armor. Also has a small area of effect.
Speed: 50 (Extremely slow)

4bJP1b4.png

Livewire
15 Vigorsilk, 35 Cobwebs, 5 Hellstone bars, Black Lens.
Fires arrows that leave a fiery trail behind them (similar to the Shadowbeam staff.)
Arrow Damage: 42
Trail Damage: 18 + 100% chance of inflicting a stack of Molten Armor.
Speed: 28 (Average)

IU7Yosc.png

Bulbous Tome
6 Vigorsilk, 14 Cobwebs, Spell Tome.
Fires a small, pulsating, orange orb that stays suspended in the air shortly after being fired. They will explode into fiery goo on contact, or after 4 seconds.
Damage: 30 + 100% chance of inflicting 2 stacks of Molten Armor. Also has a small area of effect.
Speed: 22 (Fast)
Mana Cost: 5

Oyf906f.png

Spinneret Staff
9 Vigorsilk, 21 Cobwebs, 15 Spider Fangs.
Fires a stream of lava, similar to Ichor. Fires the streams in sets of 5.
Damage: 31 + 100% chance of inflicting a stack of Molten Armor.
Speed: 25 (Fast)
Mana Cost: 10

lSZOiV4.png
pz63cbb.png
7xUf5KF.png

HLF4dEH.png
L60zBZP.png
KFJFWut.png
ZhMPCQZ.png
F8CjCEp.png

Vigorsilk Armor
Set Bonus:
Regeneration while in combat.
Enemies killed temporarily increases attack power by +5%. (Killing a player grants +35%)
Stacks to a max of 35% Lasts 8 seconds.
Particle effect of small glowing threads will fall from your armor.

Vigorsilk Boots
12 Vigorsilk, 28 Cobwebs, 2 Fallen stars
+ 10% movement speed
+ 30% crit chance
9 defense

Vigorsilk Tunic

21 Vigorsilk, 49 Cobweb, Life crystal
+8% attack speed
+5% attack damage
17 defense

Vigorsilk Visor
15 Vigorsilk, 35 cobwebs, 4 Lens
+15% attack speed.
10 defense

Vigorsilk Mask
+ 25% movement speed.
12 defense

Vigorsilk Cover

Increases invincibility time by 45%
11 defense

Well, there you have it. My first ever Terraria suggestion.
If you have any comments, please let me know! I've never done this before, and I could use some critique.

Bonus Stuff:

zwq3Kly.png
IoBWRuR.png
Xzw7uhW.png

BBn5kO7.png
TvVjYaO.png
iRnfc8C.png

As requested, banners!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like Pyrantula, here's another boss done by me!​

Last edited:
Wow! I really really like this idea! Amazing work with it :). Also, I dunno if you made the sprites, but they are gorgeous so nice job :D.
Total Support!

Looks really neat. Underworld could definitely use another boss. And the spewer looks like it's really fun to use, and reminds me a little of the globby guns in Borderlands. Sprites are very well done indeed.

I love it a lot!, Nice work on the sprites too. For the summoner, it should require 5 souls of Might, Fright and Sight, just to give a little bit more challenge to it.

EDIT:

display.jpg

I want this, this is amazing. One question though: What type of box is the loot made in? Demonite? Hellstone? Obsidian Brick?
Also, after seeing that Team Magma Vanity (which I would use all the time), we need something for the Ocean with a Team Aqua Vanity.
How about Krachor, from Baconfry's ocean expansion?

How about Krachor, from Baconfry's ocean expansion?
I actually have an idea for an aquatic boss. It will be a while before I make it, but I plan on adding the water worshiper's set in it.
(Spoiler: It's based off of a previous sprite I did!)

Edit:
I want this, this is amazing. One question though: What type of box is the loot made in? Demonite? Hellstone? Obsidian Brick?
Also, after seeing that Team Magma Vanity (which I would use all the time), we need something for the Ocean with a Team Aqua Vanity.
Idk, probably obsidian brick or something.

Last edited:
This may be the best boss suggestion I've seen in a long time. Interesting attacks and boss AI, awesome items that don't rely on RNG, a pokemon reference, AND a much needed HM hell boss? Definite support.

Can't wait to see the "Armor set + more"!

Does the chainsaw work like a chainsaw? Considering how awesome a weapon it'd be to use, I'm not sure that would be good, considering chainsaws can't get a large number of useful modifiers.

On Fire! isn't very useful at this stage of the game, either. Might I suggest a more powerful DoT debuff? Maybe something like

Magma Blood
-5HP/s
Molten, burning rock flows through your veins.

Which turns into

Obsidian Blood
-1HP/s
-15% movespeed
Hard glassy rock freezes in your veins.

when you try to put it out in water, or after the timer for Magma Blood runs out.

If you're looking into buffing debuffs as a whole, you should totally check out my thread on it.

Last edited:
This may be the best boss suggestion I've seen in a long time. Interesting attacks and boss AI, awesome items that don't rely on RNG, a pokemon reference, AND a much needed HM hell boss? Definite support.

Can't wait to see the "Armor set + more"!

Does the chainsaw work like a chainsaw? Considering how awesome a weapon it'd be to use, I'm not sure that would be good, considering chainsaws can't get a large number of useful modifiers.

On Fire! isn't very useful at this stage of the game, either. Might I suggest a more powerful DoT debuff? Maybe something like

Magma Blood
-5HP/s
Molten, burning rock flows through your veins.

Which turns into

Obsidian Blood
-1HP/s
-15% movespeed
Hard glassy rock freezes in your veins.

when you try to put it out in water, or after the timer for Magma Blood runs out.

If you're looking into buffing debuffs as a whole, you should totally check out my thread on it.
The Sawblade works like an axe.

And I'll think of another stronger debuff. Though it's hard to say if there would need to be a stronger debuff, because (even though I forgot to write it down) apart from sparks and direct contact, all of Pyrantula's moves have a high chance of setting you on fire, and you may just end up being on fire for practically the entire fight.

The weapons on the other hand could certainly use a buff. What do you think about "Molten Armor" ?
You take the same amount of damage as you would with "On fire!" but your defense is also reduced by 15.

Back
Top Bottom