Question about Building

MadbriX|CVG

Terrarian
I've definitely seen some impressive builds over here on the forums. But how do they do it? I noticed one big factor is wall diversity and furniture choice. But do you need to have constant memory of every single block and furniture item in the game? What impulses do you builders have when selecting the perfect furniture and wall types? I need tips for building my "Empire" normal world for the multiplayer parties I plan to have with my friends.
Thanks.

P.S. Can anyone link me to a thread just about building, either for helping noobs or giving inspiration?

The fastest way to learn building styles is to: Build other people's structures and you'll learn multiple aspects per building. Don't build them block for block but just look at their design and build a similar structure using their style. Every time you do this you'll learn a new wall style, window style, building layout style, roof style, ect. After a while you'll get the general idea of how "Wall diversity" and other aspects of building works. and you'll see that it isn't really complicated. Even the really fancy wall designs that use 5+ different walls will seem easy to build.

Beyond what was mentioned above; patience and practice. Trial and error; and Mix N match.

For myself I generally mix n match trial & error. Which basically means trying out blocks side by side to see which I think look nice beside each other. I mainly only work with the smaller buildings or medium sized ones. Potentially though I could expand it to being something large... Regardless, mainly work with a framework in mind then think function or possibly structural integrity, but not necessary. Using pictures of something else can help practice, as rl pictures sometimes help the inspiration, if not transcribe the building or what ever the picture is of using the blocks. That is where mix n match trial and error would come in handy.

Of course I just use what I have, and always aim to have as many different blocks to work with as I can. Usually starting with the easiest which is the many different wood types, even the one from the traveling merchant; although have not worked with that one much as of yet beyond making some of the furniture out of it.

Usually there is a primary block used and a secondary that is used. That is roughly how I do the foreground walls. The ones in the background I just come up with some basic patterns I use, some which are semi-random and uniform like I guess... Well thinking of my mine shafts & tunnel that I habitually decorate to look the part.

Sometimes mimicking a pattern can draw on inspiration or a way to go about some of the many things you probably seen. It really all boils down to personal taste and a good eye to tell the difference between each material and how they look. Granted some could memorize all the looks of the blocks and such, but me personally I could not really do that all at once. Hence my trial and error experiments; by placing material next to each other to see a difference or likeness for future design or pattern. always trying things out just to see how it would look with this or that.:)

I know that is a bit to read, and no expert, but I do build more than I progress in this game...><

I am a fairly good builder and i am using references mostly, that is pictures of real life stuff to build and i have a bunch of reference charts for all the blocks in Terraria.
5e605a7ffb.jpg
668c4bc4b5.png
b320a127af.png

Seriously, look at real life stuff and try to recreate it. References are the a and o of art.

I am a fairly good builder and i am using references mostly, that is pictures of real life stuff to build and i have a bunch of reference charts for all the blocks in Terraria.
5e605a7ffb.jpg
668c4bc4b5.png
b320a127af.png

Seriously, look at real life stuff and try to recreate it. References are the a and o of art.

Umm... some of those might need changing, like the mudstone bricks, due to some of them getting a new texture in 1.3... Now the mudstone bricks look like bricks.:dryadwink:

However that is a great pic to reference for those that have not changed much, I'mma save that so I can use utilize that. Always wanted something like that. Thanks, that is quite helpful.:dryadhappy:

Umm... some of those might need changing, like the mudstone bricks, due to some of them getting a new texture in 1.3... Now the mudstone bricks look like bricks.:dryadwink:

However that is a great pic to reference for those that have not changed much, I'mma save that so I can use utilize that. Always wanted something like that. Thanks, that is quite helpful.:dryadhappy:
The first one is 1.2 but the two others are 1.3. And no problem!

Nice block displays!

Also, is it just me or hardened ebonsand looks even worse than regular ebonsand?

Back
Top Bottom