tModLoader Question about upcoming 1.4 and Tmodloader

Kenan2000

Terrarian
I know that in order to run all the mods (including the old and not supported ones) tmodloader reverts to a slightly older version of Terraria than it currently is (1.3.5.2, if not msitaken).

Now, for example, if 1.4 gets released, we all know that Steam (if you bought it from Steam, not GOG, that is) will automatically update the game and you won't be able to play the old version unless you do some mumbo-jumbo with backups, tmodloader supposedly simplifies this, my question is: can i still play old Terraria version with all my mods even after the new update with old version of tmodloader?
An older version of tmodloader which will still revert to 1.3.5.2 despite the 1.4 being released, or it's impossible?

Well, tModLoader only really downgrades terraria, because it was built from an older version of decompiled terraria source code. It doesn't do anything special with any of the other files. However, since the latest version after 1.3.5.2 (or whatever it is) is only a minor patch, none of the other assets were changed.
It's not impossible, that the current tModLoader will load with assets from 1.4, but I can't say for sure.
Btw, on steam, there is a somewhat hidden way to download older versions of games: PC - How to (legally) play old versions of Terraria (even up to 1.0.0)

I am surprised that to this day, TModLoader doesn't use reflection in order to get the latest Terraria associated with mod loading. I wonder what it affects negatively to run Terraria with the latest content if TModloader is built from an older version.

I am surprised that to this day, TModLoader doesn't use reflection in order to get the latest Terraria associated with mod loading. I wonder what it affects negatively to run Terraria with the latest content if TModloader is built from an older version.

Actually I asked myself as well when I launched tmodloader downloaded from Steam and I saw the version in use at the bottom left ... obviously I understand that there is work to do but I thought it had been done before, seen the announcements on Steam etc ... And let's be clear, it's not a criticism ... it's just a simple observation that I think many have made. I can't thank those who manage tmodloader enough.

Actually I asked myself as well when I launched tmodloader downloaded from Steam and I saw the version in use at the bottom left ... obviously I understand that there is work to do but I thought it had been done before, seen the announcements on Steam etc ... And let's be clear, it's not a criticism ... it's just a simple observation that I think many have made. I can't thank those who manage tmodloader enough.

I agree. I understand but when they announced they were releasing it together on steam I thought they meant 1.4. It's fine though. Other than infinite blocks and all the items for building stuff for the switch release trailer and about an hour of calamity I haven't touched mods. I remember getting into some of the minecraft mods and you really had to research it to figure out how they worked.

I had no idea what to do in calamity. I have been waiting for 1.4 to start programming a few mods so that's the only reason I was sad about it.

I agree. I understand but when they announced they were releasing it together on steam I thought they meant 1.4. It's fine though. Other than infinite blocks and all the items for building stuff for the switch release trailer and about an hour of calamity I haven't touched mods. I remember getting into some of the minecraft mods and you really had to research it to figure out how they worked.

I had no idea what to do in calamity. I have been waiting for 1.4 to start programming a few mods so that's the only reason I was sad about it.

I was thinking that ... if the mods had been activated immediately I would have missed all the new features of the base game ... in fact now I'm playing and I'm having a lot of fun ... then of course, the mods will also come, but for now maybe I think it is also a good thing to play using the new features ... this is just my "stupid" thought ...

Back
Top Bottom