Question (Question) Create hell biome

hhhhhuie

Terrarian
Hi guys.

I'm currently trying to make a kind of hell biome on the surface. But I don't know if its possible somehow to make hell monsters spawn up there. If I'm not mistaken, you can't just mass up some hellstones and create a hell biome, right? And there are no hell-monster statues. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

That^^
The circles are "viewing stations" you can teleport around, the fountains are connected with pumps, pumping lava around, and the glass is a walkway. Just need to figure out a way to reliably activate/deactivate segments of the walkway so the lava can pass and players dont get injured while walking through it.
I also put some statues which spawn kind of "hellish" monsters, and put some meteorite for meteorite heads (didnt check if its enough for spawning tho)(not in the picture yet)

Attachments

• little_hell.jpg
    little_hell.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 914
As noted, Hell/the Underworld is "map location"-locked, like the Sky and Ocean biomes (though the ocean I think has a sand requirement as well, as least for spawning certain mobs). Mobs for those biomes can't be spawned anywhere else naturally because you can't make an artificial/player-made recreation of those Biomes without being at those locations.

Nearly every other biome is block-based. This is why you can recreate many other biomes elsewhere. The exceptions, other than the above/previously mentioned, are "background wall"-based biomes. These are the UG Desert, Dungeon, Lizhard Temple, Granite & Marble biomes. (I feel like I'm missing others...) Mobs spawns for these rely on the background walls as placed during world generation. (Taking down the walls and placing them up yourself marks them as player-placed, making them block mob spawns instead.)

So you can make your own little replica biomes that look like the originals, but only some of them will work in regards to mob spawns (and there are prerequisites in most cases).

DISCLAIMER: I'm writing this from memory and haven't been keeping up with changes in Terraria. Anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong about anything here.

That^^
The circles are "viewing stations" you can teleport around, the fountains are connected with pumps, pumping lava around, and the glass is a walkway. Just need to figure out a way to reliably activate/deactivate segments of the walkway so the lava can pass and players dont get injured while walking through it.
I also put some statues which spawn kind of "hellish" monsters, and put some meteorite for meteorite heads (didnt check if its enough for spawning tho)(not in the picture yet)
FYI, Meteor Heads don't drop loot after WOF has been defeated just so you know.

Anyways, I like the idea. Have you considered using a Solar Monolith or two in the area? I was planning to build a volcano over my dungeon that'd use a Solar Monolith.

As noted, Hell/the Underworld is "map location"-locked, like the Sky and Ocean biomes (though the ocean I think has a sand requirement as well, as least for spawning certain mobs). Mobs for those biomes can't be spawned anywhere else naturally because you can't make an artificial/player-made recreation of those Biomes without being at those locations.

Nearly every other biome is block-based. This is why you can recreate many other biomes elsewhere. The exceptions, other than the above/previously mentioned, are "background wall"-based biomes. These are the UG Desert, Dungeon, Lizhard Temple, Granite & Marble biomes. (I feel like I'm missing others...) Mobs spawns for these rely on the background walls as placed during world generation. (Taking down the walls and placing them up yourself marks them as player-placed, making them block mob spawns instead.)

So you can make your own little replica biomes that look like the originals, but only some of them will work in regards to mob spawns (and there are prerequisites in most cases).

DISCLAIMER: I'm writing this from memory and haven't been keeping up with changes in Terraria. Anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong about anything here.
What you've said seems correct. However, I'll add that a lot of mobs require only a surface.

An example of what I mean is in an old Diceman thread: https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...ls-of-light-night-rod-many-other-drops.36329/

[...] I'll add that a lot of mobs require only a surface.
Ah, yes. Kinda forgot about that. It's relevant to the topic, but was kinda a tangent since I just wanted to do a basic overview. Mob spawn mechanics have a lot of info to digest to wrap you head around if you want to (ab)use it to your benefit in the fullest. I guess I just wanted to cover the basic spawn environments in the simplest of ways: Location (position in the world), Block (basic biomes), and BG Wall (mini-biomes & structures; the UG Desert, given its size, is kinda weird: it's more like a sub-biome/offshoot of the normal Surface Desert.)

As Terraria evolved and the programming for it became more sophisticated, later features got more advanced, hence the differences in specific cases within a given mechanic. (That, or limitations were reached and workarounds implemented. The latter can look like the former to the player when done right/well.) Or they just wanted to spice things up by making it familiar and similar, but not quite the same. *shrug* I just know Terraria has been one of the best supported games in this current era of game development. (I grew up on gaming before digital distro as a whole became the norm. Back then, you got the game as-is. At most was game-breaking bug patches. Extra content came in expansion packs.)

Anyway, I know enough about spawning to (ab)use it well enough to my benefit. I'm just not willing to invest the time and effort to maximize it like DicemanX. (What can I say? I'm a lazy bastard.)

No I havent, guess I will after having dealt with the walkway :)
What you want is a hole in the walkway, then you want it to close when a player gets by so they can walk through, right? Is your walkway going to be two-way? It's not difficult to wire if it is just one-way, which means I can help.

Should be two way. The problem is that the lava flows slowly, and I have to ensure it doesnt enter the walkway, and is entirely gone before players can enter. Means, when a player comes near, first the ceiling has to activate/close, while the walls stay activated, and as soon as the lava passed, the walls may deactivate and the floor activate. I tried it with the lava sensors, but didnt work reliably. Preferrably it should also work with multiplayer.
Sadly, I won't have quite the time to experiment on it until tuesday/wednesday, but I'll make sure to try out any ideas when I get the time :)

Edit: The Lava sensors might not have worked due to my knowledge of them being incomplete. Maybe I could try OR-ing them all together?

You don't need walls in the tunnel, just an open floor and ceiling. It's not difficult if it's just one-way, but it gets hard when it's two-way. Here's a one-way door I made. It'll close the top, then 5 seconds later close the bottom.
Wire:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1068246339

Normal:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1068245792

I attempted to make it two-way, but I'm new to using logic gates so I'm not the best person to help. Even if I do make it right, it won't be as compact/effective as some others who are better with logic gates can make it.

Ah, so just a timed enable. Yeah that would work, thanks. I'll still try a bit to maybe get it lava- instead of time-dependent :)

well you may not be able to get demons but you can use spawn statues shadow painted (hidden in like a cave looking background) wraiths, blood zombies and dripplers they aren't hell spawns but they are like tortured souls of hell or something like that. timers hooked up to a sensor could make it spawn them but its up to you :/

That^^

Who cares about the mobs! Shove in some more meteorite and your done! Your hell biome looks awesome even without the mobs! Maybe you can spend some minutes in actual hell too get its music box. Just for that extra touch.

Hi guys.

I'm currently trying to make a kind of hell biome on the surface. But I don't know if its possible somehow to make hell monsters spawn up there. If I'm not mistaken, you can't just mass up some hellstones and create a hell biome, right? And there are no hell-monster statues. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
Same thing for me. But I'm trying to turn (the) underworld/hell into the surface using TEdit.

Back
Top Bottom