Quick question

Scrubow Gamer

Official Terrarian
(Thread may be in wrong spot, I did not know where to put it.)
So, I have decided to start looking at colleges so when I get to High School I will know how hard I will need to push myself to try to get to said college. I want to go to Full Sail University, but I have heard a lot of good and a lot of bad things about it. Though my main concern Is that I want to major in game development but I need to know if that requires you to be good at art. If anybody knows that would be great and super helpful, thanks -Shadow Gamer.

With a full load of friends who have gone into game development, as well as a bunch of artist friends, I would say that a major in game development would likely NOT demand being good at art; art skills are only one of several sides of being a game developer. I can, however, imagine a few classes where art talents may be very useful, and a limited art skill may make things difficult. But I'm sure every curriculum is different.

What sort of game design are you interested in? If not art, it is pretty likely you will need to be a coder then. Being a writer or creative designer, I suspect, is a difficult position to get to without some skill in the other two fields.

With a full load of friends who have gone into game development, as well as a bunch of artist friends, I would say that a major in game development would likely NOT demand being good at art; art skills are only one of several sides of being a game developer. I can, however, imagine a few classes where art talents may be very useful, and a limited art skill may make things difficult. But I'm sure every curriculum is different.

What sort of game design are you interested in? If not art, it is pretty likely you will need to be a coder then. Being a writer or creative designer, I suspect, is a difficult position to get to without some skill in the other two fields.
Thanks for the reply, and yeah I do want to be a coder, it seems fun to me (I don't know how though :p).

Thanks for the reply, and yeah I do want to be a coder, it seems fun to me (I don't know how though :p).
Well then you might want to get into Java and things like that, since it's basically the template scripting language. Terraria was written in Microsoft XNA Framework, so you might want to get into that too. I find art to be fun, but if you're really planning to make a game, then it shouldn't be too hard to find an artist.

I mentioned this in another thread, but it applies here too. Microsoft are now giving free licenses for VIsual Studio 2013, the "Community Edition." It's got almost every feature of the Professional version. You do need to make an account but it costs nothing.

I got it so that (if I ever get the spare time) I can look into tAPI or possibly source modding. If I recall correctly, C# is what tAPI is written in. I don't know what Terraria itself is written in but I'd guess C# or C++. VS2013 includes those as well as Visual Basic and a somewhat more exotic language, Visual F#. It also handles Web markup languages, JavaScript, and with an add-on, Python.

That's a lot of stuff. Best to pick one language for learning about programming, then broaden out as you get the hang of things. [eta] Oh, and you'll need to know JSON for modding Terraria. That's part of JavaScript but it's used by many languages as a way of expressing data in text.

I'd guess C#
It is, indeed, written in C#.
I have the "Community edition" of vs13 and use it very much.
upload_2015-3-27_16-52-17.png

Created with a graphics tablet, a mouse, vs 10 and 13, and loads of time.
(Not to mention a keyboard)
:merchantwink:
Modding Terraria isn't a full-time programmer's job.
I would go with examining the source code and modifying that, or creating your own 2D game engine.
Beyond that, I would reccomend learning something like Unity that is learning a 3D engine.
Also XNA is not longer supported, something new may be coming out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom