Tool Quick Wave Bank - An easy, no-hassle Wave Bank creator

OH noes! I took another trip to the bathroom and thought to myself "What could be wrong?" I checked the files over and over again and BINGO BANGO BONGO! I found the problem. The .wav file was too LONG. I realised this cuz all the extended themes did not work. It would be deleightful if you could tell me the limit, my guess is around 20 minutes but a more exact time would be helpful! Thank you for your time (even though i figured it out but ur time is still required!)

I'm glad you were at least able to figure out what was wrong. And yeah, it's not surprising there's a size limit. I can attempt to brute-force looking for the largest possible size programmatically which shouldn't be too hard. I'm guessing it's a file size limit and not a duration limit. I'll report back with my findings and add the information to the forum and GitHub page.

Edit: Here's my findings. It seems the hard limit for supported wave file sizes is just under 256MB. This size being referred to is the data size of the audio data itself and not the details about the audio. Anything at that number or higher will throw the same error you were encountering.

I'm now testing the upper limits of how many 256MB wave files can be written to a Wave Bank before it fails.

Edit 2: Final tests show that Terraria will except a Wave Bank of 41 waves of maximum size (I was pretty surprised). And these waves are completely randomized bytes so I doubt the compression was able to do much. The final wave bank size was 358MB. I ended my tests at 58, 256MB wave files but I haven't seen a limit on how many waves can be packed in using XactBld, whatever the case, it's irrelevant to test this unless used for games outside of Terraria. I have updated the main page with all of my findings.

Anyways, if anyone wants a Wave Bank made of pure static, then I'd be happy to deliver.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm a bit late, I don't even know if this counts as necropost, but whatever. Is there any possible way to make ADPCM Wave Banks? I tried changing the format, but it gave me a xWMA file anyway

Maybe I'm a bit late, I don't even know if this counts as necropost, but whatever. Is there any possible way to make ADPCM Wave Banks? I tried changing the format, but it gave me a xWMA file anyway

Sorry for the late reply. I'm a little busy as of late but I'll take a look into this when I get the chance.

I guess I didn't do proper testing of the ADPCM/PCM convert options. Also I do not believe it outputted the wavebank as xWMA, but PCM instead, as the filesize was much larger than the xWMA output. But if yours is getting different results then that's another problem. I originally included these options because it seemed easy to implement since xactbld3 already did most of the work, but I guess something else must be getting set incorrectly in the temporary project file.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply. I'm a little busy as of late but I'll take a look into this when I get the chance.

I guess I didn't do proper testing of the ADPCM/PCM convert options. Also I do not believe it outputted the wavebank as xWMA, but PCM instead, as the filesize was much larger than the xWMA output. But if yours is getting different results then that's another problem. I originally included these options because it seemed easy to implement since xactbld3 already did most of the work, but I guess something else must be getting set correctly in the temporary project file.
I actually got an ADPCM file, but I think it shouldn't be that heavy (around 500 mb), it works, but uploading it to MEGA takes 3 hours, so I guess it isn't supposed to be that way

I actually got an ADPCM file, but I think it shouldn't be that heavy (around 500 mb), it works, but uploading it to MEGA takes 3 hours, so I guess it isn't supposed to be that way

The reason I'm thinking it's not converting to ADPCM is because the output file size is just a smidge bigger than the combined size of all the .wav (PCM) files. Google says ADPCM should end up compressing to 1/4 of the original size (which makes sense if it's the same 4-bit format I've worked with in my Wiimote library).

How do you verify that the output wavebank is in the correct format? If it's because it works in whatever program you're using it for then I'm not sure that means it's necessarily ADPCM, I would not be surprised if PCM was supported by most platforms as well.

The reason I'm thinking it's not converting to ADPCM is because the output file size is just a smidge bigger than the combined size of all the .wav (PCM) files. Google says ADPCM should end up compressing to 1/4 of the original size (which makes sense if it's the same 4-bit format I've worked with in my Wiimote library).

How do you verify that the output wavebank is in the correct format? If it's because it works in whatever program you're using it for then I'm not sure that means it's necessarily ADPCM, I would not be surprised if PCM was supported by most platforms as well.
I can't confirm that it works by myself, someone requested a wavebank for Mac and it apparently worked. I thought it was an ADPCM file because it had no extension (which is something strange, but if it ended up working then my only guess is that everything was okay).

I can't confirm that it works by myself, someone requested a wavebank for Mac and it apparently worked. I thought it was an ADPCM file because it had no extension (which is something strange, but if it ended up working then my only guess is that everything was okay).

The fact that an extension is missing is either due to the programming not adding one automatically (a bug). Or the user editing it out in the text box.

Would you mind asking your friend what the size of the real Mac Terraria Wave Bank is? It would help to have a size to compare to. when converting the default OST.

Last edited:
The fact that an extension is missing is either due to the programming not adding one automatically (a bug). Or the user editing it out in the text box.

Would you mind asking your friend what the size of the real Mac Terraria Wave Bank is? It would help to have a size to compare to. when converting the default OST.
I waited some time, but no answer, sorry dude

Good news, I got the answer. It seems like the file is 689.8 MB. I hope this helps you!

Huh, good to know, so it seems like the ADPCM format used here is likely different than what I've used in the past. Although 4-bit audio sounds pretty garbage for anything other than a Wiimote speaker (even with a Wiimote Speaker), so it makes sense that this isn't the case. I guess this means the obese file size is accurate(?).

In the future if my backlog ever stops getting new projects piled on and actually shrinks I guess I'll take a look at the actual file while extracting and see if it detects it as ADPCM.

Why does the program not allow files larger than 250 MB? I want to use files but they're quite large when converted to WAV files.

Why does the program not allow files larger than 250 MB? I want to use files but they're quite large when converted to WAV files.

The last time I checked, I believe I was able to get the game to accept a wave bank file larger than 250 MB. StarXStone's information that lists the limitation may be a bit outdated, but it is also very possible that this limitation is not present on Windows, but other operating systems.

You can't replace mod-specific music by modifying your wave bank.

Hello, could you explain why in more details? I'm encountering problems with mod-specific music (playback is either silent or extremely stuttered; while vanilla music is played normally) and I hoped I could solve this issue by bundling mod music with the normal game music in a wavebank.

Hello, could you explain why in more details? I'm encountering problems with mod-specific music (playback is either silent or extremely stuttered; while vanilla music is played normally) and I hoped I could solve this issue by bundling mod music with the normal game music in a wavebank.

I wouldn't be able to answer that question because the only interaction I've had with tModLoader, is writing a patch that supports it. This is likely an issue about the way tModLoader uses custom music, you should really bring this up as an issue with them in this case. Give me an example file size for some of your tracks that have trouble.

That's a good question that I'm not sure how to answer yet, since the tracks appear to be bundled in the tmod files. And, obviously, when trying to use TML's extract function, I only get a tModReader.txt file containing this:
Code:
The modder has chosen to hide the code from tModReader.
The modder has chosen to hide resources (ie. images) from tModReader.

Which I guess makes my query moot, since I wouldn't be able to go on with my plan even if it could work.

So I recently (a few minutes prior to posting this) tried to make a wavebank and the order isn't right. Example; dungeon track plays on title screen. I was wondering if you know the reason this error occurs

I´ve got a problem, after trying to build a wavebank it gives me this error log:

Building for Win32...
Building global settings file C:\Users\JoaquÝn Graell\AppData\Local\Temp\TriggersToolsGames\QuickWaveBank\WaveBankProject.xgs
Building wave bank C:\Users\JoaquÝn Graell\AppData\Local\Temp\TriggersToolsGames\QuickWaveBank\Wave Bank.xwb
C:\Users\Joaquín Graell\Desktop\UT wvb\funk-fiction-portabellohead-2-3-remix-trip-hop.wav: Error: The wave file could not be found
The wave file could not be found
Failed to create wave bank!
See console log for more details.

Back
Top Bottom