Game Mechanics Rail Grinding

GAMINGPEA_64

Skeletron Prime
I think they should add a version of rails that can be grinded on without a mine cart. It would be great for parkour maps, where if you get hit while on the grind rail, you would fall off the rail. Im trying to re create final rush from Sonic Adventure 2 in terraria and that stage is built around grind rails.

I think they should add a version of rails that can be grinded on without a mine cart. It would be great for parkour maps, where if you get hit while on the grind rail, you would fall off the rail. Im trying to re create final rush from Sonic Adventure 2 in terraria and that stage is built around grind rails.
Oh that would actually be really cool, especially if you could jump from rail to rail.
Having the Hoverboard equipped should let you grind with it, letting you regenerate mana faster. Sonic Riders, anyone?

Last edited:
That sounds like a cool idea, but maybe instead have an accessory like the Water Walking Boots or Ice Skates that let's the player slide on rails. Maybe they would be like Rollerblades or something and players can also do flips with them. `:D
Also have you seen this Speed Run map I made? Gotta Go Fast!
I added a download of the map and a TEdit schematic for the timer. You can add a timer to your map so people can see how long it takes them to finish it.

They really need to add in a Speedrun category for maps on the forums.
I look forward to seeing your map when it's done.
`:happy:

That sounds like a cool idea, but maybe instead have an accessory like the Water Walking Boots or Ice Skates that let's the player slide on rails. Maybe they would be like Rollerblades or something and players can also do flips with them.
May not need an accessory? There's a minecart slot in the inventory - perhaps add shoes as an alternative that can be put in the slot and used. Or perhaps no minecart in the slot lets the player grind.

May not need an accessory? There's a minecart slot in the inventory - perhaps add shoes as an alternative that can be put in the slot and used. Or perhaps no minecart in the slot lets the player grind.

Placing them in the minecart slot could work. But I think it should be some kind of item the player would need to get. I also feel like their shouldn't be a default minecart and/or the player needs to craft the default one. Because for adventure maps this would mean the player can't go on the rails at all until they get the minecart. Maybe even have them get the shoes first which only lets them slide down rails and up them only if they have enough speed. So you can have parts where the player needs to slide down a rail and get up enough speed to go up another rail and other parts where the rail just goes to high and the player slides back down. Then later they can go up the rails that they couldn't before when they do get a minecart.

I also feel like their shouldn't be a default minecart and/or the player needs to craft the default one.
Agreed. Even something simple like some wood + iron/lead bars should be fine. It also opens the possibility of better ores giving you a minecart with defence qualities or better speed. A minecart made of meteor, hellstone or adamantite? Could be interesting.
Going somewhat off-topic though. :)

I personally think the skating could have its own upgrades, as well, like being able to have a damaging trail behind you with something like the lava waders, and if you go down a slope far enough, you could outpace even the mechanical minecart, and booster rails and the like will still affect you, but hitting a bumper will also stop you, but you can also input a the opposite direction, or jump diagonally to get a boost in that direction, like jumping with the anti-gravity hook, but otherwise I fully agree with this idea!

Reactions: Bry
Back
Top Bottom