Weapons & Equip Railgun

Good idea?

• Yes!

Votes: 29 85.3%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Does hit detection even work at 25 velocity?!

Votes: 19 55.9%

• Total voters

sodapone🌳

Wall of Flesh
I always found the concept of railguns to be fascinating and I think it'd be a cool sci-fi weapon to add to Terraria. Here's my idea:

Molos's Railgun.png

Credit to @DerpoTheMagnificent for the sprite
Railgun.png

it's been eternity since my last sprite work, sorry if it looks kinda weird

Railgun
"Shoots a powerful, high velocity bullet
Shots pierce infinitely
Magnetic guns, how do they work?"

Damage: 80
Knockback: 8
Velocity: 25
Use time: 28
Autofire?: Yes
Bullets, silver bullets, and meteor shot are given the same speed as a high-velocity bullet but the same damage and properties. Shots have a distinctive white smoke trail.
General concept: A decently-fast gun with the highest shot velocity of any gun in the game. Great for PVP, as the shots are harder to dodge than ever.
Obtaining
Sold by Cyborg (1 platinum)

Another idea suggested by @Pitri was that it fire ore bars; in that case, this could be done:
Railgun
"Uses ore bars for ammo
Higher value ores do more damage"

Damage: Varies
Copper: 40
Tin: 45
Iron: 50
Lead: 55
Silver: 60
Tungsten: 65
Gold: 70
Platinum: 75
Demonite: 90
Crimtane: 100
Meteorite: 95
Hellstone: 110
Cobalt: 115
Palladium: 120
Mythril: 125
Orichalcum: 130
Adamantite: 135
Titanium: 140
Hallowed: 150
Chlorophyte: 175
Shroomite: 200
Knockback: 7
Velocity: 25
Use time: 32
Autofire?: Yes
General concept: Like the Coin Gun, but with bars. Still has an utterly insane velocity, but the knockback is slightly reduced and the use time is increased a bit to compensate for the insane damage potential.
Obtaining
Sold by Cyborg (1 platinum)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I came over as soon as I got the alert. That is a pretty cool gun, in my unprofessional opinion it could be buffed up to 80 damage

Edit: oh wait, HOW FAST? Still an awesome weapon that I like.

I like it, but I don't think the sprite is terraria-sized. Then again, what do I know about spriting?
Other than that, I like it.

A gun this big would be extremely humorous, I love it (I laughed a lot:happy:). On a side note, good suggestion! :)

We need a laughing face!

Actually I would like it if it would use early game metal bars as ammunition. :D
  1. Bullet creates short circuit via contact with both rails
  2. High currents form inside the projectile.
  3. The currents in the rails create a strong magnetic field.
  4. The combination of the curret inside the bullet and the magnetic field of the rails creates a strong force parallel to the rails.
  5. Projectile gets accelerated and flies away.

Some railguns can shoot massive chunks of metal, so a metal bar sounds like it could fit the gun. ^^

Last edited:
Actually I would like it if it would use early game metal bars as ammunition. :D
  1. Bullet creates short circuit via contact with both rails
  2. High currents form inside the projectile.
  3. The currents in the rails create a strong magnetic field.
  4. Theo combination of the curret inside the bullet and the magnetic field of the rails creates a strong force parallel to the rails.
  5. Prjectile gets accelerated and flies away.

Some railguns can shoot massive chunks of metal, so a metal bar sounds like it could fit the gun. ^^
Actually, that is a really smart idea. I'll add it as an alternate suggestion when I can.

Actually, that is a really smart idea. I'll add it as an alternate suggestion when I can.
Thanks. I suggested this for two reasons. ^^
First: I know roughly how a railgun works and that it fires because the projectile can conduct electricity.
Second: There's a time in Terraria when you just don't need the copper/iron/silver/gold bars (and their counterparts) anymore. And since you said that the cyborg should sell it, it's definitely a hardmode weapon.
Instead of throwing them away or selling them for a low price (what I personally don't do) you can use them to throw them against the heads of your enemies. ^^
It would also make sense to use the extractinator even in hardmode, because that's an easy method to get the material for your Ammunition.

If regular bullets travel as fast as a high velocity bullet...how fast would a high velocity bullet travel?

Anyway, yes, all the yes. Railguns are freakin' awesome, and I'd love to see one in Terraria. (Maybe I could remake the sprite for you?)
You done good.png

Back
Top Bottom