• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Random Freeze (?)

Desperatio

Terrarian
Heya there, so there's a weird freeze that happened to me already twice now. My character just stops moving (although everything around me is still moving), and some kind of "snowstorm" thing suddenly shows up, no matter where I am. Enemies can walk through me but I don't get any damage. If I press any buttons, nothing happens. I can't even exit the game .
When this freeze happened the second time, I waited for about half an hour and then suddenly everything went back to normal. I'm not sure if this is the fault of my pc or the fault of the game. It looks like this:
1479918314651.jpg

timjin

Terrarian
made an account just for this. your not the only one. 37 hours on a char and its world, now it freezes me and leaves the would still moving around me. im on steam with this. tried a total removal of the game. no good. tried a new world, no good. new toon and a new world. no good. there are also no errors from windows. i play in window mode and nothing pops. i also still have full control over windows. nothing on the event viewer as well. was hoping for more from google but this thread is all i got, heh....

i noticed that something you and i had in common was the weather at the time. so i waited out the storm to the next day. no freez. np at all now moving / flying.

Last edited:

Sigma90

Brain of Cthulhu
Desperatio, timjin: just to clarify: If my understanding is correct, both of you experienced a freeze when a snowstorm started? And the freeze ended when the snowstorm finished?
Could you please advise:
  • What graphics card are you using?
  • What lighting mode are you using?
  • Is the issue still occurring in 1.3.4.3?

(Resisting obvious puns about snowstorm / blizzard /freezing. :D)

v2_Jester

Terrarian
I am also getting this glitch. I have to wait for the blizzard to stop until I cross the snow biome. Tried everything but won't work, and i am using 1.3.4.3. I use an NVIDIA GeForce 730 and am using white lighting (although bug still remains even if i swap to both to retro, trippy and color)

ShadowBoo

Terrarian
I am unable to recreate this issue. The snowstorm starts, but does not freeze my game in any manner.

If other entities/mobs are still moving on the screen while your character and the blizzard effect are stagnant, then this is not related to a GPU being insufficient.

Furthermore, since this issue is occurring even when you are not near a Snow Biome, it might be wise to reinstall the game and the components like .NET Framework and XNA Framework.

I have the same issue on a second computer. I do IT for a living and I just upgraded the second computer to windows 10 clean install. I reinstalled .net framework and XNA framework. We have focused the issue down to Just the snow Biome with weather like the above screen shot.

i5 2500k
Radeon 7870
6G Memory
1TB drive
Windows 10 Home.

nakiblack

Terrarian
I've got the same freeze. It has happened in two different computers using the same map. When I host for other friends to play they see my character as if it is going to teleport or something.
Since it happens almost every time, I've taken a closer look. It happens at the same spot which is when you are about to arrive to the Snow Biome. But there is also an important factor to it, it happens only if it's raining when I'm going there. The storm isn't there before, just rain, and, also when friends where playing, they didn't see no storm and could play without a problem. The program seems to work just fine, but you can't use ESC so you can close it correctly and I have to pray the autosave did its job.
I also did the change in the lightening, it didn't work. And disabling the storm effect doesn't work either, it just leaves you frozen there without anything happening at all. I even tried to avoid the spot, but it happens at that spot despite if you're in the sky, surface or underground.
As I read the other comments maybe starting another world, which was what I was going to try, won't work. So, please, some help!

terraria.jpg

Here you can see the freeze without the storm effect :(

Sigma90

Brain of Cthulhu
I'm beginning to think there must be a common factor here but unfortunately there are a lack of details. Two posts mention NVidia and AMD cards, so it's probably not graphics card related.

If you haven't said it already, what OS are you using? One post mentions Windows 10, so maybe that is the common factor.

nakiblack

Terrarian
I'm beginning to think there must be a common factor here but unfortunately there are a lack of details. Two posts mention NVidia and AMD cards, so it's probably not graphics card related.

If you haven't said it already, what OS are you using? One post mentions Windows 10, so maybe that is the common factor.
I'm playing in Windows 7, using Steam. I think it isn't the graphic card, because it's not the program itself that freezes but just the player in the spot and you're unable to use any key such as ESC or attack or go back home. But the game is still running and you can see everything else moving, even other player.If It was just the computer, I think it would freeze for everyone when I'm hosting, but it doesn't.
Maybe I can make a small video to show you?

nakiblack

Terrarian
I tried with a new map, I though maybe since I created the first one in another computer, doing so in this one could be different. But after going for boreal wood, look what happened. Also, this time I could arrive there but after a minute or so, and without rain or anything. Pretty sure its a bug of the maps themselves.
I started playing this game two weeks ago, and this started from the first day, its really becoming quite annoying :( The game is cool, but restarting it every time I try to cross or play in the Snow Biome isn't that fun.
FREEZE1.jpg

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
None that I'm aware of, we haven't replicated any sort of freezing during the Snowstorm.

Tieragon

Terrarian
I'm having the exact same issue, 1.3.4.3 Nvidia Graphics Card Windows 10 The moment I walk into a Snowstorm I get a freeze for my character, but I can still move my mouse around, and my ruler still responds to my mouse position, but I cannot do anything besides move the mouse. I still see everything on the screen moving around. I'll verify my Game Cache and if that fixes it I'll edit this, but if not, then it didn't help. This doesn't affect me while I'm indoors, but if a pixel of snow hits my character I freeze for 17 minutes and then it fixes itself and I can move again, if the snowstorm is over, if not, then I cannot. I thought this may have been a weird feature at first, but I think 17 minutes is a bit long.

Verifying game cache did not help, and as another note, this has happened to me 6 times

nakiblack

Terrarian
@Leinfors, are there any known issues with the snowstorm? There seems to be some common points through this.
None that I'm aware of, we haven't replicated any sort of freezing during the Snowstorm.
I'm having the exact same issue, 1.3.4.3 Nvidia Graphics Card Windows 10 The moment I walk into a Snowstorm I get a freeze for my character, but I can still move my mouse around, and my ruler still responds to my mouse position, but I cannot do anything besides move the mouse. I still see everything on the screen moving around. I'll verify my Game Cache and if that fixes it I'll edit this, but if not, then it didn't help. This doesn't affect me while I'm indoors, but if a pixel of snow hits my character I freeze for 17 minutes and then it fixes itself and I can move again, if the snowstorm is over, if not, then I cannot. I thought this may have been a weird feature at first, but I think 17 minutes is a bit long.

Verifying game cache did not help, and as another note, this has happened to me 6 times
As I said before, if you pay closer attention the freeze has nothing to do with the storm effect. The storm starts immediately after the freeze and if you're hosting nobody else sees the storm, so that couldn't be the problem anyway! Please, the bug has to do with the Snow Biome not the storm, the storm starts afterwards :/
Also, I have only play for two weeks, so I have the last update, so I'm guessing, is a bug with the update.
I lost count of the time it has happened, because I have played almost all day for two weeks, and I started simply avoiding the Snow Biome, but turns out the dungeon and corrupted land are after the Snow Biome so I have to cross it in order to play in those areas, that's when I understood that if this isn't fixed, I won't be able to keep playing.
Since this repeats in every map I create, there's no point in playing, isn't it?

Edit: I just realized the spot I get the freeze in my main map is the place where the weather has to change from one area to the other. But as the post I put before, in the other map I was about one minute in the Snow Biome when it started, so I still think is the Snow Biome, not the storm itself.

Last edited:
@Leinfors Ran a test the other day when my second computer froze I just let it sit there for 20 minutes and it unfroze and the game played normally. This only happens in snow Biomes and it looks like it may be weather related but we have weather effects turned off. Once I get home I can upload my dxdiag file.

Sigma90

Brain of Cthulhu
As I said before, if you pay closer attention the freeze has nothing to do with the storm effect. The storm starts immediately after the freeze and if you're hosting nobody else sees the storm, so that couldn't be the problem anyway! Please, the bug has to do with the Snow Biome not the storm, the storm starts afterwards :/
The original reported issue is "My character just stops moving ... and some kind of "snowstorm" thing suddenly shows up...". Most likely it's the blizzard in the snow biome. Some people seem to be affected anywhere and some only in the snow biome. Seems to be a freeze when the blizzard starts that ends when the blizzard finishes -- though I think I read that bit in another thread.
If you have a different issue, it should go in a new thread.

vX

Terrarian
I have the same issue with several different characters, maps, and with changing lighting colors, resolutions, disabled storm effects, ect. I was able to reproduce the glitch repeatedly. When I used a sundial to pass the day (while avoiding the snow biome on the map) the glitch stopped, then the game decided to rain again and when entering the snow biome the glitch repeated. The snow biome does not trigger the glitch normally only on a rainy day. I am running windows 10 home, Intel Pentium CPU B940 @ 2.00 GHZ : 2.00 GHZ, 4GB installed ram, 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor on a Novatech brand laptop. I have no other problems with the game freezing even during the lunar events.

As you can see in the screenshot, it triggers when transitioning between areas with rain to areas with snow whether you are close to the ground or not.

Esselt

Terrarian
I have this bug too only since 1.3.
I play on Windows 10, nVidia 960GTX, it happens with every character, online and offline, regardless of the world. This is what happens to me:
  • Character is frozen and invulnerable (input does not move the character and Escape does not react)
  • It happens while transitioning to a snow biome
  • It is always on a rainy day
  • None of the graphical settings affect the glitch
  • Can still interact with the mouse with some elements: I can speak with nearby NPCs, open the menu by asking for crafting and change all options in-game or "Save & Exit" (note I can only do this if the initial NPC is next to me)
  • While online, other players see my character repeat its last 1 second of action endlessly (if the sequence was jump and freeze before falling, they will see the character start a jump disappear in mid-air and start a jump from the beginning again)
At the moment the game is unplayable with this bug, especially if you happen to start right in the middle of those biomes.
terraria_glitch_snow.png

Terraria_1_3_4_4_Snow_Glitch.gif

See the whole thing here:

I hope this helps to pin down the issue

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
I've been watching this issue for a while, and because it was so inconsistent and only hit certain people, there really wasn't anything to go on.

Its clear the majority of people are not affected by this issue, as indicated by several posters here, and by the fact that no one on our end has ever experienced it. At the same time, its clear that a minority of people are regularly afflicted by this. This is going to make it difficult to track down the source of the bug, which I suspect, will end up being a conflict between the game and a specific piece of hardware/software (maybe a graphics card or driver).

Regardless, while I see no certain cause, and have no way to replicate this, I've reported the issue for investigation.

Top Bottom