Weapons & Equip Random gear generator

Do you think the Random generating machine is a good idea?

• I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah, too much work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Talscar

Terrarian
I have being reading the forum on the subject of (reach 3000 items for 1.3) and i was thinking, they could do way more with something VERY simple.
Random gear generation.
How so?
A machine that turns your old gear into a piece of AWESOME and new gear. (with restrictions)
Now it might not craft the BEST in the game (Unless your willing to part with 3 Terra blades :D) but it would be AWESOME!

The idea of the machine, is it crafts better stuff, depending on the tier of machine it is.
Example is that it is a Standard machine.
It will only craft stuff with a +1 bonus to something, and will only take Wood gear.
Say it is Gold, it will take ever gear upto Gold, and will create something with a bonus of +4 (point based, meaning knock-back may only increase a low amount).

Now i know the way i explain this machine is kinda stupid i know.
but depending on its level, it will give GREAT power, speed, (Automatic), damage and knockback.
Maybe even deal fire damage or something!

For every ore type its crafted into, it gives +1 (pre hardmode) - +
For every ore or bar type to craft it up gives +2 (HARDMODE)

(Using ore types for Hardmode 1.2 and before new ores come out)
wood, copper, iron, silver, gold, meteorite, demonite, hellstone (pre-hard) +8 bonus
Cobalt, Mythril, Adamantite, Hallowed, Chlorophyte, Shroomite Bar (HARDMODE) +12 bonus

I know its kinda ridiculous, but look at the bright side, harder enemy;s with a small bonus = quicker and easier kills, and maybe better ability's!

Craft the Terrablade into itself, it may come out exactly the same, with bonus ability for wider range attacks, heavier hits, more knockback or faster speed.
Or it might craft something much different which is like a Muramasa, but it fires weird ability's.

Ability's could be:
Spiky balls, smoke cloud, darts, explosive, dagger, a walking/flying minion for a few seconds (per kill), raised money drops, items that only drop using the weapon such as new throwing knifes or bullets, Chance to knock back enemy HEAVILY, Turn enemy's on each other (And so on and so forth)

I know people will like and hate this idea.
The people that like this will like the extra effects and ability's, the hates wont like because you can get WAY OVER POWERED stuff = (more boring game)

Don't like it because its going to be 100% chance overpowered because NO FREAKEN WAY!
Their should be a chance you get a penalty which results in WORSE gear then you expected.

Being 10% chance of bad gear and 90% chance of good gear.
20 points for best machine is the standard 50% chance while the other 50 is like 1% 25 points, 9% 22 points, 15% 21 points and 25% of negative being 5 points.

Similar to forging, but with permanent status upgrades.

The machine being a set of items which are dropped in underground chests, and all pieces are needed to craft the machine for wood.
5 pieces, each require so much material of wood and stone too repair each piece.
Then all pieces get crafted together to make the machine.

Well lets see what people think.

I hope to see weather people like the idea for time consuming before getting better stuff :) (People hate time consuming stuff, but it gives you something to work towards.)

Anywho later guys! I have more to add, but i will do that another time! Lets see what we get first.

(I will upload some picture ideas on what i am thinking about if its okay with the readers! not yet, have nothing.)

EDIT:

A image i made up to show how the idea would work or be shown:

10686621_547534345346121_8086929233655493595_n.jpg

I know i missed Critical, but i looked and the Gamepedia did not contain that information, nor did the Wikia.

Right their i went by the specifications and ratios in one of my other posts:
Knockback 3:1
Speed 2:1
Critical 4:1
Abilitys 5:1
Damage 1:1
Size 3:1

4 points Damage
10 points Abilitys (Added ability to Terra blades Special ability)
2 Points speed
3 points knockback
3 points size

3+3=6
4+6=10
10+10=20
20+2=22

Now, most cases, its too OVERPOWERED with the extra ability.
Spike balls which look red because of the Lust of the blade (AKA the name says Lustering and is red).

Even thou this may seem over powered, the blade will have the chance to be different in some aspects.
Such as with certain armor which will activate its set bonus (If a ability is replaced with set bonus)

If the you think this is over powered, then what would you change?
Limit the ability's?
Increase the cost values?

I think nothing is perfect in life.
And this maybe useful in future Terraria updates which are MUCH MORE EXTREAM then now.
As far as i heard, Terraria is going to have a map difficulty setting which will make the mobs hard. (Whats in Terraria 1.3)
What if this only helps slightly?

Now when i think of this, Its a GREAT idea.
your going to get a smallish bonus at the cost of 3 pieces of gear of the same tier. (More then likely, the exact same tier, no copper with wood or Hallowed with Gold)

If you still believe this to be a bad idea, i cant wait till the mobs have 1000 health and new AI so you can not escape the enemy so easy. Mobs to break into your house by Digging :D

I will be laughing if people change their minds then, but even then this would never be enough for smarter enemy's.
It will get the player only so far as his tactics and skill.

(I hope nothing was taken as insults. If so i apologize for any inconvenience)

Last edited:
I don't think this would be good for the base game, but I could see this working as a mod for sure.
It'd be kinda like Lucky block in Minecraft.

Sounds like something from Starbound, now doesn't it? :)
For some actuall feedback: I do not know how well this concept would work in this game, but if this get refined it could potentially be a pretty cool feature.[DOUBLEPOST=1413444014][/DOUBLEPOST]Sounds like something from Starbound, now doesn't it? :)
For some actuall feedback: I do not know how well this concept would work in this game, but if this get refined it could potentially be a pretty cool feature.

Yeah I'm not sure this would fit in with vanilla Terraria, but as a mod it would be really cool!

2 years of trying to keep the game balanced?
:red: that, random gears.

The main issue is, people always aim for the best and there's already enough annoying issues with RNG when it comes to reforges. Imagine if you had to "regenerate" your weapon over and over and over to get the "best". RNG applied to drops is already as frustrating as it is, applying it to weapons too? Not to mention the game is not optimized to follow this kinda of graphic behavior as it would imply every weapon needs to be the same size with the exact same base models, which kills variety in terms of weapon shapes. It's also way too much work as the same has to keep track of every single weapon's stat. Random generated weapons don't make more weapons, they make 1 weapon that can have 1000 different combination or pieces

I see your downsides to this guys!
And i now agree, yeah its better as a mod.
But really, the only reason i think of this, is because at the end of the game, i have nothing to look forward to when i play, other then the next update.
Where's this makes you get a bit interested (not everyone), and makes you want to find out what you will get.

People with good modding skills may test this out, and hackers will potentially ruin the idea of this, supplying a mod in which to generate a piece that is the BEST IN THE GAME!

Duplicating items is easy too. (Censored)

But do we really hate it when we run out of things too look forward too?
This is what would make it a good piece for the game, it gives you a chance to get some nifty gear in which makes you wonder "Can i get something better then this?"

Reforging is a bummer, but in my experience its way to FREAKEN EASY!
If you know how to find the coins, then your set!
On a legit character with a farm i had, i made 700 Platinum! (version 1.2)

In the new version of Terraria today!
I can make a farm using a Candle and battle potion, in a biome which has good mobs to farm.
10 minutes i can make almost 50 gold pieces.
1 hour is like 3 platinum!

Also making a lizard farm is easy if you make a summoner set, no required wires, nor anything other then to dig about 3000 blocks Approximately.

I made a video to show you a efficient design, and how to make it work high quality. (You will want to make your own design, due to getting in and out is kinda hard)

A farm is nice. But with the idea i have, you got a 50% chance to get the standard item points as value.
20 points decided between, Damage, Speed Knock back (Which could also make a special ability!)
Items of the same design, give off a item of the same look (If all 3 are identical!)

You craft it and it comes around with new ability's between 5 and 25, so anyway you put it, your still going to gain a better weapon then you had.
Forging, is different.
It takes and give to your weapons.
Instead of increasing your weapons knock-back speed or damage, it takes it from the weapon, thus making it worst then a standard weapon.
The difference is, the machine i talk of is positive. (The negative is you can not reuse the weapon you made in that machine. <LOCKED OUT>)

If their is any misunderstanding i will better explain using pictures and Terra Blade with Custom Text and different color styles.

The only question i will ask now if anyone responds between now and when i make my edit with images and text.
What information do you require to know about this idea?

A Example being: What are the point equivalent to in damage?

A Answer being:
Each point is valued depending on the rarity of weapon,
http://terraria.wiki.gg/Death_Sickle Tier 6 (6 x .5 = 3)x points 20 = 60
http://terraria.wiki.gg/Terra_blade Tier 8 (8 x .5 = 4)x points 20 = 80

Now the point buffs for a standard weapon are way to high! 88+80 = 168 (OP)
If thats the case, it would only do more good as a mod.
Because i only came up with the idea today, i do not know what would be reasonable math calculation for the weapons would be. (Less then .5 would possibly be fair)

The first idea i had was 20 points 20 damage value, which would be a heavy kinda of blade, but i am wrong again because knock-back is Heavy.
What if it is left at this 1:1 ratio for damage but different for other things?

Knockback 3:1
Speed 2:1
Critical 4:1
Abilitys 5:1
Damage 1:1
Size 3:1
(If this is better then please let me know, your support on making this right makes this idea better!)

Anywho i will stop Babbling and work on some images, and a explanation on how the Machine would work.

Myu first impression: "This is not the Starbound you're looking for."

Anyhow, suggesting something which makes the whole game easier because you're bored at endgame doesn't make a sliver of sense to me. When I run out of things to do in a game, I either try to find ways to make things harder (already possible in Terraria) or play something else. No game is infinite.

This would take an enormous dump on game progression and throw balance to the wind. This is a definite no on my part.

Myu first impression: "This is not the Starbound you're looking for."

Anyhow, suggesting something which makes the whole game easier because you're bored at endgame doesn't make a sliver of sense to me. When I run out of things to do in a game, I either try to find ways to make things harder (already possible in Terraria) or play something else. No game is infinite.

Tell that to Sonic 1 & Knuckles: Blue Sphere and all 134,217,728 of it's levels.
To tell you the truth, I think that algorithmically generated weapons and stats could be cool, but this seems like something that fits best as a mod because of the outrage that would happen because of how rampant hacking would be, as well as the kind of hoops you'd have to jump through to make the best weapons. If I recall, there was already a mod out there that did something neat like this- though it was still quite different if I recall. Some sort of new reforging system or something of that sort.

this needs a bit of refining as a concept, but as a general concept, i actually like it. i would probably end up condensing 90% of my surplus loot that i've been hording with this contraption for sure lol.

but on a serious matter, this would cause extremely upsetting balance consequences because of how how strong the added bonuses would be in addition to the other relevant stats and modifiers. :(

Back
Top Bottom