Weapons & Equip Ranged may require some tweaks...

Does Ranged require any changes?

• Give them mobility, this game is like Touhou, it's all about dodging!

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Give them new weapons! Anything that isn't a fish or a firework.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • Mobility or better weapons? Why not both! Mages have both too...

Votes: 66 50.4%
  • Give rangers nothing, I don't think they deserve it.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Or give rangers the ability to build sentry like minions and arm them with ranged weaponry!

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Change/give Vortex Armor a set bonus which grants damage bonus based on how fast the player moves!

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Change the movement speed penalties to defense penalties on Vortex Armor.

Votes: 27 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... Here's my suggestions how could Celebration look... Yeah, they aren't very good (it's my second sprite ever) or even look like firework launcher... but it's not meant to be. At least, they look pretty (a bit...) cool.
qb5i5B.png

qaZLTS.png
8QZj1i.png

Last edited:
Celebration on-topic again? :D
Well, I'd like to see it go. Let it go, let it gooo... xD
There's no way we could make it good, because there is no good part to keep from it.

Especially from the last boss, we expected Grand Theft Loot.
Instead, it's just Unlimited Farm Works in order to feed our new dolphin which eats ammo like omnomnom-nom-nom.
Call of Cthulhu Duty Terraria: Steampunk Warfare just failed to give us the ultimate gun. Mages got the ultimate spell, warriors have the ultimate blade and even summoner have - not too powerful, but - useful drops.

Obviously I can't see Re-Logic changing their mind about that weakling fish, as it has a tradition. The tradition of dealing crappy damage, eating ammo and being a fish. They just won't change anything about that ever.
Even if I were optimistic about guns, I wouldn't expect a Gatling Gun or any direct upgrade to the Chain Gun, tradition stops them from doing so.

We could, on the other hand, get at least a decent rocket launcher.
We already have a bow, the only problem is that they just can't get bored of nerfing it, like if it was Irelia or something. If it continues like this, it's base damage will reach 0 before 1.3.1 is released. xD
I don't even play League of Legends, but better nerf irelia is a meme you can't ignore on the internets...

As we have a bow - for now until it gets nerfed to do negative damage - and we will never have a gun - as tradition forbids cool guns - the only general ranged weapon type left is... ...rocket weaponry.
Which by coincidence is the only weapon type for which we can buy the best ammo from a vendor.

That's why I demand that if a rocket launcher is dropped from the final boss of a game, that thing must be godly, I mean Unreal, pun intended. We desperately need that awesome rocket launcher, before I break my mouse using the Electrospehere Launcher. xD

(Off-topic: Due to this topic, I've started a little Explosives-only run for the fun of it. <3 It lets me use the "Throwing Class" until WoF, then Range for that onward because Hellfire arrows / Explosive Bullets / Rockets / Stynger / Nailgun. It's pretty awesome. :D )
Actually, this sounds pretty awesome, something I might try myself later on as well!

Esmerelda the Slime Girl's signature said:
3686a47a4b.png

I vote Rangers get a Nuke instead of Fireworks. :3
That signature, I like it, even the sprite. It's alienish and large and glowing and cool and I like it.

Celebration on-topic again? :D
Well, I'd like to see it go. Let it go, let it gooo... xD
There's no way we could make it good, because there is no good part to keep from it.

Especially from the last boss, we expected Grand Theft Loot.
Instead, it's just Unlimited Farm Works in order to feed our new dolphin which eats ammo like omnomnom-nom-nom.
Call of Cthulhu Duty Terraria: Steampunk Warfare just failed to give us the ultimate gun. Mages got the ultimate spell, warriors have the ultimate blade and even summoner have - not too powerful, but - useful drops.

Obviously I can't see Re-Logic changing their mind about that weakling fish, as it has a tradition. The tradition of dealing crappy damage, eating ammo and being a fish. They just won't change anything about that ever.
Even if I were optimistic about guns, I wouldn't expect a Gatling Gun or any direct upgrade to the Chain Gun, tradition stops them from doing so.

We could, on the other hand, get at least a decent rocket launcher.
We already have a bow, the only problem is that they just can't get bored of nerfing it, like if it was Irelia or something. If it continues like this, it's base damage will reach 0 before 1.3.1 is released. xD
I don't even play League of Legends, but better nerf irelia is a meme you can't ignore on the internets...

As we have a bow - for now until it gets nerfed to do negative damage - and we will never have a gun - as tradition forbids cool guns - the only general ranged weapon type left is... ...rocket weaponry.
Which by coincidence is the only weapon type for which we can buy the best ammo from a vendor.

That's why I demand that if a rocket launcher is dropped from the final boss of a game, that thing must be godly, I mean Unreal, pun intended. We desperately need that awesome rocket launcher, before I break my mouse using the Electrospehere Launcher. xD

Actually, this sounds pretty awesome, something I might try myself later on as well!

That signature, I like it, even the sprite. It's alienish and large and glowing and cool and I like it.
But IMO a Minigun/Gatlinggun would be the best Choice!

-Would require 2 seconds to "Spin up" (By that i mean like IRL a Minigun needs to spin for 2 seconds and then it starts to fire)
-Would be inaccurate / Alternative: The longer you fire it The More inaccurate it becomes BUT the More Damage you Make
-Would eat through Ammo like Hell, but it would have A Very Fast and Good Damage output

Thats something that would be Powerful, Badass and AmmoHungry as hell...Maybe even Special abilities...
Anyways...Something Poweful but comes with a Cost..Seems Fair to me

But IMO a Minigun/Gatlinggun would be the best Choice!

-Would require 2 seconds to "Spin up" (By that i mean like IRL a Minigun needs to spin for 2 seconds and then it starts to fire)
-Would be inaccurate / Alternative: The longer you fire it The More inaccurate it becomes BUT the More Damage you Make
-Would eat through Ammo like Hell, but it would have A Very Fast and Good Damage output

Thats something that would be Powerful, Badass and AmmoHungry as hell...Maybe even Special abilities...
Anyways...Something Poweful but comes with a Cost..Seems Fair to me
Hell no, not another ammo-eater. Ammo is a problem with a fire rite over 10/s already.
If we get a Gatling Gun or Minigun, I want 90% chance to not consume ammo on it.
If it doesn't have any more than 50% chance to not consume ammo, I want a fire rate of 20/s and a base damage of 200 or more. Noone wants a weakling gun that just eats ammo for no reason...
...I mean, I understand how broken it would be, but if something eats ammo at that rate, it MUST be broken to compensate.

Sooo, how about a Minigun with a base damage around 100 and a fire rate of 15/s while having over 66% chance to not consume ammo?

Thanks. <3 Made it myself this morning. :3
I was inspired by the Nuke from Turok 2, ha ha.
Even thought up some stats for it.

"The Nuke"
750 Ranged Damage
Insane Knockback
"Charge it up, then unleash Hell."
Takes 3 seconds to charge.
Can not be fired uncharged.
Takes 5 rockets per shot.

The blast radius would be huge (I'm thinking 32 block radius), but it would be a short-range explosive that doesn't destroy blocks (Because the griefing potential would be astronomical. You'd destroy someone's base almost completely with a single shot. :v) Also, for how long it takes to fire the thing, I don't even know if the 750 is powerful enough (Or too powerful. Balancing is hard. > .<)

Also, I think we've kinda thought up every possible way to balance the Ranger in this thread by now. xD
From ammo, to weapons, to armor set bonuses; We've pretty much gone through them all. I guess we're just waiting on a dev to check it out? :eek:

The blast radius would be huge (I'm thinking 32 block radius), but it would be a short-range explosive that doesn't destroy blocks (Because the griefing potential would be astronomical. You'd destroy someone's base almost completely with a single shot. :v) Also, for how long it takes to fire the thing, I don't even know if the 750 is powerful enough (Or too powerful. Balancing is hard. > .<)
Balancing isn't that hard, just maths and some experience with the game.
Math part is easy:
Last Prism has 6 beams, 100 base damage, beams deal damage independent of each other, invulnerability frame for piercing is 1/6 second, the base DPS is ~6x6x100, 3600DPS.
750 damage every 3 sec is just... ...weak. If you have to charge it for 3 seconds, you need a weapon that deals over 5000 base damage to be anywhere close to an endgame weapon. Most bosses would die to a single shot of that, the burst potential is high, but even 5000 base damage can't make up for 3s charge time if your opponent has more than 25k HP.

About the experience part, with that huge hitbox it's almost impossible to miss an enemy so I think it could kinda work.

Umm... Sorry, but I must say it: Wepons with warmup are for continuous firing, as well as hellish firerate. I don't want more od these ammo devourers... I'd prefer to repel Tyranid invasion with stick than have another ammo-eater.

Also, I think we've kinda thought up every possible way to balance the Ranger in this thread by now. xD
From ammo, to weapons, to armor set bonuses; We've pretty much gone through them all. I guess we're just waiting on a dev to check it out? :eek:
That's why I'm drilling Kardfogu a hole in belly to update first post and then write to devs. Alternatively, I could do the latter for him.

Balancing isn't that hard, just maths and some experience with the game.
Math part is easy:
Last Prism has 6 beams, 100 base damage, beams deal damage independent of each other, invulnerability frame for piercing is 1/6 second, the base DPS is ~6x6x100, 3600DPS.
750 damage every 3 sec is just... ...weak. If you have to charge it for 3 seconds, you need a weapon that deals over 5000 base damage to be anywhere close to an endgame weapon. Most bosses would die to a single shot of that, the burst potential is high, but even 5000 base damage can't make up for 3s charge time if your opponent has more than 25k HP.

About the experience part, with that huge hitbox it's almost impossible to miss an enemy so I think it could kinda work.

Ah, okay. So this would be balanced as EndGame?

40dbfdce9b.png

"The Nuke"
4500 Ranged Damage (A little less than what you suggested, since we have items to boost the damage anyway. Imagine this with all the Damage / Ranged Damage modifiers! xD)
Insane Knockback

That's why I'm drilling Kardfogu a hole in belly to update first post and then write to devs. Alternatively, I could do the latter for him.
Your drills can pierce the heavens!
Actually I'm doing that now exactly, so it'll be finished today. I promise.

Ah, okay. So this would be balanced as EndGame?

40dbfdce9b.png

"The Nuke"
4500 Ranged Damage (A little less than what you suggested, since we have items to boost the damage anyway. Imagine this with all the Damage / Ranged Damage modifiers! xD)
Insane Knockback
Actually I already included everything in the calculations when I said 5000, but this thing would be my favourite plaything at the moment anyways. As for a comparison, 4455 is the base DPS of the S.D.M.G. which is subpar to all mage weapons and to most warrior weapons too. On the other hand, this weapon loses less DPS to defense and is much more ammo efficient.

I wouldn't mind if it could use it's own, unique ammo - something like "Energy Pellets" or other of this kind.
Maybe even eating gold coin for shot... Yeah, kinda like electro cannon.
Just call it "Nuke" and make it cost 1 gold for each or craftable from the celestial shards/luminite, this thing can destroy bosses in one shot, so it could "maintain" itself.

EDIT: I don't care it would be broken in PvP. Last Prism can 1shot anyone and is super easy to sweep over the battlefield, instantly killing everyone on the surface.

Hell no, not another ammo-eater. Ammo is a problem with a fire rite over 10/s already.
If we get a Gatling Gun or Minigun, I want 90% chance to not consume ammo on it.
If it doesn't have any more than 50% chance to not consume ammo, I want a fire rate of 20/s and a base damage of 200 or more. Noone wants a weakling gun that just eats ammo for no reason...
75 % Not consuming Ammo is Enough for 233 Damage (Without Modifiers/ Armor Bonuses) and it would shoot 35/per sec.
Maybe too OP?

How would it shoot 35 times per second? Due to how the game works, it would be either 30 or 60 times.
For example: use time of 2, with a 1/6 chance of releasing double projectile.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438620305,1438620207][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just call it "Nuke" and make it cost 1 gold for each or craftable from the celestial shards/luminite, this thing can destroy bosses in one shot, so it could "maintain" itself.

EDIT: I don't care it would be broken in PvP. Last Prism can 1shot anyone and is super easy to sweep over the battlefield, instantly killing everyone on the surface.
Maybe something like 1 gold + 1 luminite ore for pellet. That would be expensive, but just enough, as from ML You get about 70 of them, and gold are neither too precious, nor too cheap.

so It could only fire 30/Per Sec or 40/per sec?
In "standard" fastest possible speeds are:
60,30,15,12,10/sec. Only use of non-standard method would allow You to make it shoot something that isn't one of these values.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438620647,1438620435][/DOUBLEPOST]Don't explain DarkVenom how use time in Terraria works; I'll do it in PM. I know it's off-top, just wanted to say, so no one will make effort to do the same.

75 % Not consuming Ammo is Enough for 233 Damage (Without Modifiers/ Armor Bonuses) and it would shoot 35/per sec.
Maybe too OP?
Well, slightly too OP, even 200 base damage x20 deals 4000 base damage, beyond the DPS of the infamous Last Prism which is kinda overkill along with stealth. That's something I consider powerful enough to not mind eating all my ammo instantly.
Not to mention that a fire rate beyond 20/s would reach the maximum projectile count of 1000 in a world easily if shot by a bit too many players in random directions, so we don't want anything faster than that. Actually I think that's the reason why the S.D.M.G. is stuck with 15/s already.

Well, slightly too OP, even 200 base damage x20 deals 4000 base damage, beyond the DPS of the infamous Last Prism which is kinda overkill along with stealth. That's something I consider powerful enough to not mind eating all my ammo instantly.
Not to mention that a fire rate beyond 20/s would reach the maximum projectile count of 1000 in a world easily if shot by a bit too many players in random directions, so we don't want anything faster than that. Actually I think that's the reason why the S.D.M.G. is stuck with 15/s already.
So 215 DMG and 20/per sec...with a 75 % not to Consume ammo with 2 Seconds "Warm up/Spin up" Time...Still too OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom