Weapons & Equip Ranged may require some tweaks...

Does Ranged require any changes?

• Give them mobility, this game is like Touhou, it's all about dodging!

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Give them new weapons! Anything that isn't a fish or a firework.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • Mobility or better weapons? Why not both! Mages have both too...

Votes: 66 50.4%
  • Give rangers nothing, I don't think they deserve it.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Or give rangers the ability to build sentry like minions and arm them with ranged weaponry!

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Change/give Vortex Armor a set bonus which grants damage bonus based on how fast the player moves!

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Change the movement speed penalties to defense penalties on Vortex Armor.

Votes: 27 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we're waiting for another idiot who didn't read previous posts and will repeat arguments of his predecessors.
Here I am! I ain't reading all freakin 15 pages that are left.
Did you guys also discuss these topics:
-Luminite bullets' ability is only usefull against segmented enemies (and shooting through dummies when people are hiding behind them but that doesn't count) and should get another bonus. Piercing ammo could be obtained pree-hardmode with tungsten bullets that pierce up to 5 times (tungsten is use irl for piercing ammo).
-Ranged has no spooled weapons, SDMG could instead be spooled (mages have that, why should we stick to minishark playstyle)
-Ranged has no charged weapons (charge up, hold charge, release for 1 powerfull shot) which would give rangers a unique burst damage ability that all other classes don't have, as shown in the Lunatic Cultist suggestion I created somewhere in the equipment forums
-This is more of a brainfart, but there could be an alternate vortex armor piece which would make you deal more damage as you land shots (like a combo bar in games like mortal kombat)

i just made a Sprite of the Nova Cannon PROJECTILE ..I Took the Starwrath Projectile and Modified it a Little.

NovaProjectileFinal(Big).png

Attachments

• NovaProjectileFinal.png
    NovaProjectileFinal.png
    661 bytes · Views: 118
Last edited:
-Luminite bullets' ability is only usefull against segmented enemies (and shooting through dummies when people are hiding behind them but that doesn't count) and should get another bonus. Piercing ammo could be obtained pree-hardmode with tungsten bullets that pierce up to 5 times (tungsten is use irl for piercing ammo).
-Ranged has no spooled weapons, SDMG could instead be spooled (mages have that, why should we stick to minishark playstyle)
-Ranged has no charged weapons (charge up, hold charge, release for 1 powerfull shot) which would give rangers a unique burst damage ability that all other classes don't have, as shown in the Lunatic Cultist suggestion I created somewhere in the equipment forums
-This is more of a brainfart, but there could be an alternate vortex armor piece which would make you deal more damage as you land shots (like a combo bar in games like mortal kombat)
1 They are also useful against groups of ground enemies, but they still could get a different effect, either instead or on top of the current one.
2 That would be more fitting for the Chain Gun or some sort of minigun, althrough the Vortex Beater could also get that ability so it has something that makes it as good as the Phantasm.
3 The thing is, there are only two weapons that do so; althrough that doesn't mean that there couldn't be more. Probabily for the Celebration replacement.
4I suggested something similar, but it increased the fire rate, rather than the damage.

i just made a Sprite of the Nova Cannon PROJECTILE ..I Took the Starwrath Projectile and Modified it a Little.

View attachment 68925
Looks good, but I think it shouldn't be used. We're Rangers, we shall share as little things with Warriors as possible, not to mention that our endgame weapons shall differ as much as possible.

I think we already found best solutions to Vortex stealth problems. They're included in voting.
About spooled/accelerating weapons... Not to mention that in fact we have such weapon, I just don't like this idea. We've been discussing something based on similar mechanics - charged endgame weapon, something Ion Cannon. By the way, the weapon with warmup I'm talking about is Phantasm.

Also, @Pirtz, I'll be glad if You read original post again, as it was updated with much useful information, ideas and suggestions from later pages, becoming in fact something like summary of our thread.

Last edited:
We had a similar idea, not bad. Actually that would be an overwhelming huge buff to gain a dash from Vortex Armor itself. Especially if it doesn't remove stealth or at least puts you back in steath automatically...
...on the other hand, it would remove the most important function of Master Ninja Gear.
Not like that would be a huge problem, many previously top tier best in slot accessories became unused, even Anhk Shield. Actually, I never used Ankh Shield, because I always knew how useless it is.
On the other hand, Solar Armor has a dash already - lucky they are - so I'm pretty sure that Vortex Armor won't get any.
As for now, I expect Master Ninja Gear to remain a part of my gear.

OFF: It took people almost two years to understand, that Ankh Shield doesn't benefit you if you don't take damage and something that doesn't benefit you if you dodge things... ...is just useless. Counter-productive. Youtubers were literally addicted to Ankh Shield, it was awful to watch everyone celebrating the second worst accessory in the game. Ankh Shield is "just" the second worst, because the worst was and always will be Bee Cloak. xD

Actually, the Luminite Bullets are something we required badly. Jester Arrows - and Stake Launcher - made bows far superior in dealing with huge amounts of enemies and segmented bosses.
I used the the Pulse Bow against early waves of Moon events almost exclusively as it was just superior to anything else I had for the same job.
Luminite Bullets came in order to let people use guns effectively too in the same situations.
We already have powerful single target bullets.
Exact opposite was the bow area, arrows of piercing kind were in the game from almost the beginning, but there was no single target arrow. Now we have an awesome single target arrow that makes bows useful against single segment bosses too.

Luminite ammo were introduced to "fill in the gaps" that makes Guns and Bows so different. Of course, that decreases actual variety as...
...S.D.M.G. with Luminite Bullets is very similar to using Phantasm/Tsunami with Jester's Arrows while S.D.M.G. with Crystal Bullets isn't much different from using Phantasm with Luminite Arrows.
Yet I don't mind, it gives people freedom to choose between guns and bows and stick to them.
Except the part that Phantasm is just far superior to S.D.M.G. in practice, because Phantasm uses far less ammo to produce similar DPS to anything.

OFF: How does a ranged player get notified about the release of the next patch in Terraria? Just check the wiki on Phantasm, if there was a patch, there was a Phantasm nerf as well! :D

Last edited:
We had a similar idea, not bad. Actually that would be an overwhelming huge buff to gain a dash from Vortex Armor itself. Especially if it doesn't remove stealth or at least puts you back in steath automatically...
...on the other hand, it would remove the most important function of Master Ninja Gear.
Not like that would be a huge problem, many previously top tier best in slot accessories became unused, even Anhk Shield. Actually, I never used Ankh Shield, because I always knew how useless it is.
On the other hand, Solar Armor has a dash already - lucky they are - so I'm pretty sure that Vortex Armor won't get any.
As for now, I expect Master Ninja Gear to remain a part of my gear.

OFF: It took people almost two years to understand, that Ankh Shield doesn't benefit you if you don't take damage and something that doesn't benefit you if you dodge things... ...is just useless. Counter-productive. Youtubers were literally addicted to Ankh Shield, it was awful to watch everyone celebrating the second worst accessory in the game. Ankh Shield is "just" the second worst, because the worst was and always will be Bee Cloak. xD

Actually, the Luminite Bullets are something we required badly. Jester Arrows - and Stake Launcher - made bows far superior in dealing with huge amounts of enemies and segmented bosses.
I used the the Pulse Bow against early waves of Moon events almost exclusively as it was just superior to anything else I had for the same job.
Luminite Bullets came in order to let people use guns effectively too in the same situations.
We already have powerful single target bullets.
Exact opposite was the bow area, arrows of piercing kind were in the game from almost the beginning, but there was no single target arrow. Now we have an awesome single target arrow that makes bows useful against single segment bosses too.

Luminite ammo were introduced to "fill in the gaps" that makes Guns and Bows so different. Of course, that decreases actual variety as...
...S.D.M.G. with Luminite Bullets is very similar to using Phantasm/Tsunami with Jester's Arrows while S.D.M.G. with Crystal Bullets isn't much different from using Phantasm with Luminite Arrows.
Yet I don't mind, it gives people freedom to choose between guns and bows and stick to them.
Except the part that Phantasm is just far superior to S.D.M.G. in practice, because Phantasm uses far less ammo to produce similar DPS to anything.

OFF: How does a ranged player get notified about the release of the next patch in Terraria? Just check the wiki on Phantasm, if there was a patch, there was a Phantasm nerf as well! :D
So what would be a Better replacement for the Ankh Shield? Master Ninja Gear? or something Else?

So what would be a Better replacement for the Ankh Shield? Master Ninja Gear? or something Else?
I'd suggest You Sniper Scope.
Ok, that was a joke, everyone knows Sniper Scope is propably most important of all Ranger's accesories.
In fact, it fully depends on what do You want. For some players, Ankh Shield may prove useful, especially when dealing with various monsers in dungeon, mining meteorite or in some battles - mainly for Warriors, as You won't be knocked around the battlefield.
But if You're looking for some good replacement for it, here are some suggestions:
Lava Waders if You want something with similar functionality, but more uses
Master Ninja Gear, Frog Leg or Frostspark Boots (if You don't have them already) for better movement
Destroyer/Ranger/Avenger Emblem or Celestial stone for more damage
However, for all-around combat puproses, I'd suggest You to replace it with Worm Scarf. Frozen Turtle Shell also is of some use, but is more defensive.
But enough off-top. If You want some useful tips and advices, You can always ask in conversation.

Last edited:
I'm not going to go through 30 pages, but has it already been emphasised that this only states that there is a problem with Ranged at end-game?

Because for anything but end-game, Ranged is a really viable and diverse class. It has always had insane damage, whether it be a Wooden bow with Frostburn arrows right at the start, Phoenix Blaster which has the potential to kill Twins and Prime, the easiest time with the mechanicals and Plantera in the first place with the Stormbow, CAR, Uzi, Megashark and shotbow and so on. It only starts to get a bit wonky with Post-Plantera gear, but the Tsunami and Phantasm still hold the class high for single-target damage.

I'm not going to go through 30 pages, but has it already been emphasised that this only states that there is a problem with Ranged at end-game?

Because for anything but end-game, Ranged is a really viable and diverse class. It has always had insane damage, whether it be a Wooden bow with Frostburn arrows right at the start, Phoenix Blaster which has the potential to kill Twins and Prime, the easiest time with the mechanicals and Plantera in the first place with the Stormbow, CAR, Uzi, Megashark and shotbow and so on. It only starts to get a bit wonky with Post-Plantera gear, but the Tsunami and Phantasm still hold the class high for single-target damage.
I Think everyone who played Ranger knows that...But everyone knows that Using the Stealth Bonus from Shroomite Armor is Suicide...Not to mention using it Against Duke Fishron....IMHO, 1.2.4.1 Endgame Ranger was Horrible (Yes, we had Damage...But using Stealth was counter-productive and was the Lamest Class out of Melee , Mage and Summoner)

Yup, this thread is indeed about Rangers at end-game, while also going over some slight tweaks to recipes to make them more managable (like the Chlorophyte one since it's rather difficult / time consuming finding/creating/mining up the chlorophyte to make 70 bullets per bar. :v) and some weapon suggestions here and there, with the latest ones being ideas to replace the Celebration as a Moon Lord drop (Moving it to being sold for a few platinum by the party girl after Moon Lord has been beaten). :3

But everyone knows that Using the Stealth Bonus from Shroomite Armor is Suicide

Not suicide, impractical. It makes situations you can already survive trivially super easy, while also making the Tsunami have a high enough damage output to kill Pumpkings fast enough to outheal damage with heart pickups.

I don't really bother with Shroomite for end-game content anymore though. Titanium still performs very well at all stages.

Of all the things I like about being a Ranger, stealth has always been a brick wall to me. Whether or not Rangers are stereotypically stealthy is irrelevant, I just find that stealth has no place in a game like Terraria.

like the Chlorophyte one since it's rather difficult / time consuming finding/creating/mining up the chlorophyte to make 70 bullets per bar. :v

I still don't understand why so many people use chlorophyte bullets over crystal. There's specific targets such as the crawltipede that it is better for, but generally crystal outdamages chloro even when you miss a few shots.

Not suicide, impractical. It makes situations you can already survive trivially super easy, while also making the Tsunami have a high enough damage output to kill Pumpkings fast enough to outheal damage with heart pickups.
I'd say it's unusable in invasions like Frost or Pumpkin moon. While back in 1.2.4.1 it really WAS to be used in a way You told, but now it's impossible. That's because as of 1.3 ANY damage to You resets your stealth on shroomite, so You must again stand still without firing and taking damage to turn it on. It's impossible not to take damage during later Moons waves while standing still, not to mention You cannot fire or it won't turn on. But that's another story.

I still don't understand why so many people use chlorophyte bullets over crystal. There's specific targets such as the crawltipede that it is better for, but generally crystal outdamages chloro even when you miss a few shots.
I don't know how it goes for other playerss, but when using Vortex Beater or Chain Gun, without Chloro bullets I miss 1/2 of shots if range is more than half the screen. The point is that staying at range is pretty much important - not even mentioning that we're just ranged, so we should - cause we have hard time regenerating wounds, as we have no lifesteal. Other than that, I find them much more useful than Crystal when fighting Fishron or Moon Lord, due to them staying nearly permanently off-screen.
Other than that, they are in-game, so I suppose they are meant to be used. It's sick than Crystal, which are cheaper are actually better... Not asking for nerf or sth.

EDIT:
Yes, not even once. As far as I can see, people here are not trying to invent best ways to overpower Rangers above other classes, but more like balance them in endgame. There was even small off-top about easy time we have through most of the Hardmode compared to Warriors and Mages. Don't worry about that, we're not going into crazy buffing hype ^^

Last edited:
Just wanted to revive this thread, because why not? 1.3.0.8 is out, and we still see no change.
I've been thinking about making second summary of this thread, including all 30 pages, but somehow i felt too lazy for it. Wait day or two, and it'll be on place.

Just wanted to revive this thread, because why not? 1.3.0.8 is out, and we still see no change.
I've been thinking about making second summary of this thread, including all 30 pages, but somehow i felt too lazy for it. Wait day or two, and it'll be on place.
We probably won't see any change until 1.3.2, since 1.3.1 is the wiring update. It would be awesome if we got at least one of the changes rangers need within the 1.3.1 update, though. :3

We probably won't see any change until 1.3.2, since 1.3.1 is the wiring update. It would be awesome if we got at least one of the changes rangers need within the 1.3.1 update, though. :3
While major changes are propably not going to be implemented in 1.3.1, patches are possible. I just hope that either our ML drops will be changed, or next tier will make Rangers up for this bad joke we received with so long awaited 1.3.
Did I write "make rangers up for this bad joke" correctly?
I'm surprised, I really didn't think anyone still cares about this thread. You got +1 reputation point in my invisible notebook :D

While major changes are propably not going to be implemented in 1.3.1, patches are possible. I just hope that either our ML drops will be changed, or next tier will make Rangers up for this bad joke we received with so long awaited 1.3.
Did I write "make rangers up for this bad joke" correctly?
I'm surprised, I really didn't think anyone still cares about this thread. You got +1 reputation point in my invisible notebook :D

Same. I would love it if the Celebration was taken out of ML's pool and replaced with the Nova Cannon, Tournament, or Nuclear Messenger. After all, why should the last rocket launcher in the game be some joke weapon when it could be a weapon of extreme awesomeness? :p

Of course I still care about this thread. I love explosives, and really want a better end-game explosive! <3 To be honest, I would love a new type of explosive bullet for gunslingers, too, but that's for another time. :v Also, yes, you wrote that correctly. You could have also said "... make up for this bad joke we Rangers received." Either way is correct, grammatically. :3

Well, Redigit isn't just a bunch of people, they are the creators of Terraria, talented developers. If any of them sees this, I think, they are going to care about our feedback.
Btw, about suggestions I could make for a new ranged weapon?
Guess we can have some!

Tournament
Damage 30 (Ranged)
Knockback 4
Velocity 20
Critical Chance 4%
Rarity Red
Use Time 15 (Very Fast)
Mechanic: Shoots 6 rockets simultaenously in a spread, each counting as a different weapon (like the beams of Last Prism). Holding down the right mouse button makes the rockets circle around each other in a tight, precise spread instead.
"Way Beyond Unreal"
Obviously, with rocket that destroy terrain, this rocket launcher would DEMOLISH the living crap out of terrain. Why? Because that's FUN with all capital letters. Especially since Rocket III and Rocket IV does the same damage as of 1.3 so there's no reason to use Rocket IV over Rocket III if you don't want to destroy terrain.

Edit: For those, who didn't play Unreal Tournament, this a direct reference to Unreal Tournament's rocket launcher which was capable of shooting a horizontal spread or a helix-like cluster of 6 rockets at the same time. It was also capable of shooting rockets like grenades and lock on targets, but that would be just too much for one weapon in Terraria.

Tournament (Alternative)
Damage 335 (Ranged)
Knockback 4
Velocity 15
Critical Chance 4%
Rarity Red
Use Time 15 (Very Fast)
Mechanic: Holding Down the mouse right mouse button guides the rocket. The explosion is similar to a nuclear warhead's. Not a firework.
"End their world and Redeem their souls"

Edit: If you never played Unreal Tournament, this is a direct reference to the Redeemer, a guided nuclear warhead, the ultimate weapon of Unreal Tournament.

How's that for a rocket launcher? Obviously looks OP, but 6x30+65 at a rate of 5x a second isn't that OP when you consider that Last Prism deals 6x100 at a rate of 6x a second on a much larger area. Similarly, 335+65 is still weaker than Last Prism. We'd have a reason to use stealth - and play ranged - while maintaining some damage OUT of stealth too.
Of course, stealth would increase these over the DPS of Last Prism, but we pay a high price in ammo and our mobility is crippled in order to gain that damage increase. So I think that's a fair trade.
I could see this happening, because ranged is hard to play as. You don't get great defense, you have no form of lifesteal, and you don't deal huge amounts of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom