Items Ranger Lifesteal ammo- not quite what you think

Firearrow15

Skeletron
Lifesteal is a pretty touchy subject on these boards, but I think I have a solution that would allow the ranger class to have lifesteal in a more balanced manner in the form of a debuff.

**NOTICE**
If you want to discuss whether lifesteal should even be in the game, go elsewhere. That is not what this topic is about.

Now, for the ammo:

Parasitic Bullet
Damage: 6
Velocity: 5
Effect: Inflicts "Parasite" for 5 seconds.

Parasite: Deals 1 DoT, returning the damage as health to the player. Caps at 15 Hp/s

Basically this debuff steals 1 health per second per enemy inflicted. This lets us have an ammo that lifesteals and can be used with any gun without scaling lifesteal to weapon like spectre armor does. The amount healed is entirely dependent on how many enemies you can hit. In addition, killing enemies doesn't net you any health, so this ammo's use comes in hitting many enemies then leaving them as health sources in events.

There could be an arrow version too, but it might be too strong with the pulse bow and Tsunami to easily apply it to many enemies at once.

What do you all think? Is it overpowered? Underpowered? Just right? Give me some feedback!

*EDIT*
-Changed bullet damage to 6.
-Capped healing at 15 Hp/s.
-Lowered debuff duration to 5s.

I still need suggestions for how to craft it! It should probably be at least post-mech, so keep that in mind if you submit ideas.

Last edited:
Honestly, this with a tactical shotgun and a crowd of enemies, and you got invincibility. Bear in mind that 30hp/s is still loads.

Honestly, this with a tactical shotgun and a crowd of enemies, and you got invincibility. Bear in mind that 30hp/s is still loads.
So you think I should lower that? Keep in mind it only lasts 15 seconds, so that's 15 hp per enemy without a reapplication. And if they die from traps or the initial hit, you don't get any more health from them.

So you think I should lower that? Keep in mind it only lasts 15 seconds, so that's 15 hp per enemy without a reapplication. And if they die from traps or the initial hit, you don't get any more health from them.
15x30=450. That's 450 per small spray with any kind of vague level of bullet spray, every 15 seconds. That's just under a full health-bar, every 15 seconds. With some dodging, that's some rapid-:red: healing.

what if it was x hp/s (maybe 2 or 3 if 1 is not enough) per enemy, with a fairly shot duration

that way, you would have to keep shooting different enemies continuously to have lots of lifesteal, and as they die you no longer get the health

So what about 3 Hp/s with a 5 second duration? It would require you to stop more often and blast a group because it would wear off quick.

Lifesteal is a pretty touchy subject on these boards, but I think I have a solution that would allow the ranger class to have lifesteal in a more balanced manner in the form of a debuff.

**NOTICE**
If you want to discuss whether lifesteal should even be in the game, go elsewhere. That is not what this topic is about.

Now, for the ammo:

Parasitic Bullet
Damage: 7
Velocity: 5
Effect: Inflicts "Parasite" for 15 seconds.

Parasite: Deals 1 DoT, returning the damage as health to the player. Caps at 30 Hp/s

Basically this debuff steals 1 health per second per enemy inflicted. This lets us have an ammo that lifesteals and can be used with any gun without scaling lifesteal to weapon like spectre armor does. The amount healed is entirely dependent on how many enemies you can hit. In addition, killing enemies doesn't net you any health, so this ammo's use comes in hitting many enemies then leaving them as health sources in events.

There could be an arrow version too, but it might be too strong with the pulse bow and Tsunami to apply it to many enemies at once.

What do you all think? Is it overpowered? Underpowered? Just right? Give me some feedback!
There already is healing with the bow users - holy arrows & spectre armour provide lifesteal, however you can't increase damage by much. Right now it actually works pretty fairly.

Holy arrows don't heal... Or deal magic damge... There is no lifesteal for anything ranged right now
... I think that might need to be checked, the Holy Arrows summon falling stars where they hit. If that happens to be magic damage, then the Spectre Hood would work.

Someone should check that...

Okay, back to actual suggestion.

IMO, for balance:
Change damage to 6. Cap Healing per second at 10, and then make Parasite last five seconds. Max you could get is 50 health over five seconds, which is still a little on the OP side, but you'll also be inflicting very little damage.

... I think that might need to be checked, the Holy Arrows summon falling stars where they hit. If that happens to be magic damage, then the Spectre Hood would work.

Someone should check that...

Okay, back to actual suggestion.

IMO, for balance:
Change damage to 6. Cap Healing per second at 10, and then make Parasite last five seconds. Max you could get is 50 health over five seconds, which is still a little on the OP side, but you'll also be inflicting very little damage.
Holy arrows would still be very ineffective with spectre armor, and you would be better off using a real magic weapon.

Anyway, 10 health per second is almost nothing. You get easily double that with VK or spectre hood. I'll change it to 15, and apply the other changes.

Holy arrows would still be very ineffective with spectre armor, and you would be better off using a real magic weapon.

Anyway, 10 health per second is almost nothing. You get easily double that with VK or spectre hood. I'll change it to 15, and apply the other changes.
try it against the destroyer. when the stars impact it counts as magic damage, aswell as the star veil ;)

try it against the destroyer. when the stars impact it counts as magic damage, aswell as the star veil ;)
Assuming you are right, it doesn't change the fact that that is a. Implement ineffective way to get healing. If I have a ranged setup, I am not going to switch armor sets so that I can heal with the tsunami. If I have a magic setup, I am not going to use a ranged weapon to heal when all my other weapons are way more effective. It might work in theory, but it is useless in practice.

Back
Top Bottom