Game Mechanics Ranger Mechanic changes

LoM2

Retinazer
Hello all!

As far as I can tell this hasn't been suggested before (It probably has, but I couldn't find anything), so here we go. Quickly dumping a couple ideas for ranger build, both in terms of conveniences and actual items:

A) Change the Bullet/Arrow stack caps to 1000.
Because almost everything crafts in a multiple of ten. Nothing fits nicely into 999, and it makes crafting stuff a pain. Not a HUGE deal but doesn't seem like it'd be hard to change and it would make life easier.

B) Have a "Switch ammo" button, allows you to switch to the next usable ammo.
Because Autopause really isn't an option in multiplayer, and sometimes switching bullet types in the middle of a fight is rather important...

C) Figure this might as well go here:
Ammo Pouch:
Purchasable from Goblin tinkerer (20 G)
Adds 1 extra ammo slot
Equipable

Ethereal Ammo Pouch
Crafted: 20 Ectoplasm + Ammo Pouch (At hardmode anvil)
Adds 3 extra ammo slots
10% chance not to consume ammo
Equipable

(Can be equipped together)

Alternative to this is that the Ammo Pouch gives two, Ethereal pouch gives four, but cannot be combined (Better option for the player)

Pouches are for those who are willing to sacrifice damage/some other accessory for more ammo space. Especially useful for weapons that use ammo other than the traditional arrows, bullets and rockets, such as the Stake Launcher.

I'm done for now. Might tack on a few more things if I think of them. (Probably not though.) As usual constructive criticism is appreciated.

Last edited:
Support support support

Ammo hotkeys/binding certain ammo to certain weapons would be a godsend, and all those extra ammo slots for EVEN MORE DAKKA? HELL YEAH

Because almost everything crafts in a multiple of ten. Nothing fits nicely into 999, and it makes crafting stuff a pain. Not a HUGE deal but doesn't seem like it'd be hard to change and it would make life easier.
The extra character does make for letter spacing issues however. For matters of perfect rounding, I think it would be better if crafting was in multiples of 9 (or 3, 3 works too).
B) Have a "Switch ammo" button, allows you to switch to the next usable ammo.
Because Autopause really isn't an option in multiplayer, and sometimes switching bullet types in the middle of a fight is rather important...
Probably one thing I simply have nothing to qualm about at all. Especially because this is actually easy to do on consoles, PC deserves it too.
C) [...] Pouches are for those who are willing to sacrifice damage/some other accessory for more ammo space. Especially useful for weapons that use ammo other than the traditional arrows, bullets and rockets, such as the Stake Launcher.
One thing with the current system is that you don't need to equip ammo to use it. Use a Grenade Launcher with your ammo slots carrying solution, wires, gel, and stars, but some rocket IVs are sitting in your main inventory, you shoot rocket IVs. As such, we probably don't need this itself, though sometimes I wish the main inventory was a bit bigger.. or that it was easier to send junk you find/mine into storage.

The extra character does make for letter spacing issues however. For matters of perfect rounding, I think it would be better if crafting was in multiples of 9 (or 3, 3 works too).

One thing with the current system is that you don't need to equip ammo to use it. Use a Grenade Launcher with your ammo slots carrying solution, wires, gel, and stars, but some rocket IVs are sitting in your main inventory, you shoot rocket IVs. As such, we probably don't need this itself, though sometimes I wish the main inventory was a bit bigger.. or that it was easier to send junk you find/mine into storage.
1) I might be wrong, but I don't think letter spacing would be particularly hard to fix...

As for the multiples of 3/9 thing; it's very hard to make a balanced system. 999 = 3x3x3x37, which either goes to 27x37 or 9x111. The first option is the more balanced one, but it's still worse off for the ranger in the long run (I'd rather make one extra bullet than have to use seven extra material)

2) While it is true that you don't NEED stuff in the ammo slots, most people use them because it frees up inventory space. I avoid weapons such as the Stake Launcher or Candy Corn rifle because I'm really not willing to sacrifice an inventory slot. (Especially when mining.)

As an afterthought; It would be nice if we were able to reserve ammo slots for specific ammunition. It's rather irritating when you use up all your ammo, and you accidentally pick up some wooden arrows or whatnot. Not a huge issue though.

Maybe Etheral Ammo Pouch adds like a small chance to not use ammo? Just felt it needed some use other than extra ammo space.

Full support, especially in regards to ammo switching. This is really such an obvious and needed thing that I'm appalled it still hasn't been added. I don't even used ichor bullets/arrows because it's so much easier to just switch to a Golden Shower than to switch your ammo around. There are so many different kinds of ammo for different situations, but no one wants to open up their inventory and click around several times to switch ammo around while dodging. We end up being limited to one ammo type, which limits our overall flexibility.

Please, please, PLEASE let this be added with 1.3!

Support, might I suggest buffing the Magic Quiver to add an ammo slot or so, as well?

Edit: Or would that be too much? Since it adds 10% dmg 10% velocity and 20% to not consume ammo. Though, that is all arrow specific.

The stack cap change shouldn´t be ONLY added to ammo, but should also be added to every single other stackable item that currently stacks to 999, with most of the ones that stack to 99 ALSO being changed to stack up to 1000.
As for switching ammo, it should be added along with a way to lock weapons into a certain kind of ammo.
As for the Ammo Pouch and Ethereal Ammo Pouch, I guess it isn´t game-breaking.

The stack cap change shouldn´t be ONLY added to ammo, but should also be added to every single other stackable item that currently stacks to 999, with most of the ones that stack to 99 ALSO being changed to stack up to 1000.
As for switching ammo, it should be added along with a way to lock weapons into a certain kind of ammo.
A) Agreed, but I was mainly focusing on changes targeted at rangers,
B) That's been suggested several times over. Didn't really want to add to my own thread.

The Ammo Pouch should get an upgrade between it and the Ethereal version, as the latter gives 3 extra slots, so there is room for a middle ground.

Maybe higher tier ranged sets could have an extra set bonus that increases ammo slots. That way, dedicated ranged players could have a small advantage over players who don't use ranged armor, and they wouldn't need to sacrifice an equipment slot.

Ooh, I like these suggestions. A few notes.

1. YES. PLEASE. I'd even be happy if the cap was LOWERED to 990 or 950.

2. In addition to an ammo-type-swap button, there should be an indicator on the weapon icon in your hotbar that shows what ammo type it's currently loaded with, or at least have a popup above the player's head to show what ammo type they're switching TO when they hit the button.

3. Actually, in keeping with the theme of all the current endgame stuff, I'd suggest that the upgraded ammo pack be shroomite themed instead of spectre themed.

As a Ranger main, you get all my supports for this. Particularly the ammo-switch button (along with an indicator as @DJFlare84 mentioned) and the +1 max ammo cap.

I'm a bit mixed about the Ammo Pouches though. I suppose it keeps the game in balance to give up damage (even though Rangers suffer the most presently; inb4 "Summoners suffer more." They're a new class, they're still getting their stuff together).
Hn, what about taking the idea for ammo pouches and making it a consumable like a... "Ranger's Insight" potion or something similar to Heart Crystals with a permanent buff? Or even attaching the effect to the Sniper Scope/Ranger Emblem? (When the buff runs out, ammo in the extra slots would be returned to the main inv, if you've got no space then it's dropped).
It would probably give smartaleck Melee/Magic/Summoner users extra carrying space for gel/stars/etc.. but it'd give Rangers a much needed edge since all they have now is, "If you stay still and not die by all the projectiles and enemies, you get extra damage."

1) I might be wrong, but I don't think letter spacing would be particularly hard to fix...
Yep, I had this before as well: Round off maximum item stacks. There are even some pretty pictures if you want to borrrow them. :D (I put the images on Imgur, but sometimes the forums don't always display them. Hmm...)
So I'm definitely in favour of increasing stacks from 99 to 100 and 999 to 1000.

The pouches are also a good idea; I like them. Instead of pouches, how about a Quiver for arrows and an Ammo Belt for rockets / bullets? They could display graphically on the character that way. (But I realise that probably causes issues with more esoteric ammo like sand, stars and pumpkins.)

Also like the idea of the ammo switching button. Not only is this useful for ranged weapons, but also for other ammo-consuming items like the Clentaminator.

Back
Top Bottom