tModLoader Rare Item Swap

JPAN

Steampunker
Today I come here with a new mod. This mod allows you to obtain almost all uncraftable items and some craftable ones in exchange for Parts, which can be obtained by multiple ways, mainly defeating monsters and exchanging old items back into Parts.

20200427225620_1.jpg

In order to start collecting parts, simply walk over the coin-looking parts in the overworld and they will be sent to a special, player based inventory. This means parts won't take up inventory space unless you want them to! You need nothing else to start collecting Parts, but to use them, you need to craft a "Part Booth" (shown above) from 20 iron, wood and glass and place it in the world.

Then, you right click it to open the Part Exchange Menu, where all Part-related transactions occur.
20200427225701_1.jpg

In the picture above you can see the "Part Bank" selected, where you can see how many parts you have of any type you have collected so far.

The top item slot is the "Destroy Slot", where you can place items to turn back into Parts, or place Parts to bank them. It will only accept items that have a Part value, and will show you the options you have for objects that have multiple Part recipes. The two red buttons right next to the Destroy Slot allow you to destroy only enough for one recipe, or all that can be destroyed with that recipe. If you don't have enough items for that recipe, it will simply do nothing.

The Destroy slot can also be used as a filter to show all recipes with that particular item as results. You can not press the destroy buttons and instead right-click the item slots in the green area, you can purchase the items from there.

Right next to the destroy slot is the "Search bar", which will filter results based on name. Useful for finding specific recipes.

The Dark blue panel is the "Category Panel", it contains the category filters that are applied to the recipe box. Click on one category to select it, showing the results of that category, and opening up in a tree the sub-categories it contains. The "By ..." categories are only collections of categories and have no item in them, but open up to categories that DO have items in them.

The "Category Panel" + "Search bar" combo is how you will mostly navigate through the stuff Parts can buy.

The green panel is the "Recipe Panel", and is the most important panel, as it shows you what items you can buy. In the picture below you can see us trying to buy a Gold Squirrel.

20200427232040_1.jpg

As you can see, when you hover over a Part Recipe, it shows you how many parts you need of a specific kind to buy the item, as well as an All-Caps warning in case the purchase can't be refunded.

The gray area only shows which parts are required, and how many of them. If you have more than enough, the number is white. If you have just enough, the number is yellow, and if you don't have enough, the number will be red.

If only the Part Exchange panel and the inventory are open, you can Shift-click an item to convert it into Parts. It will choose the recipe that requires the least amount of the item to do, and randomly select between the remaining part recipes. Don't worry about trashing items when they have no recipe available: the shift click will only destroy items with an available recipe, and leave the others intact.

Over 80 different parts are available, including:
- One surface and one underground Part for each biome, including Marble, Granite and Spider Cave;
- One Part per boss, that can drop in small amounts from the respective boss, and are used to obtain it's exclusive drops;
- Three Shop Parts, equivalent to 5 copper, 5 silver and 5 gold each, that can be crafted from regular coins at a Part Booth, used to get items sold at shops;
- Event Parts, from Blood Moon to Martian Invasion, as well as one Rain and a Sandstorm one;
- Progression parts (Hardmode, Post-Plantera and Post-Moonlord), that lock certain recipes before that stage is reached.

Also included is an accessory that automatically converts caught items into parts, crafted with one "Part Booth".

While this mod has most uncraftable vanilla items in it, we may have missed something. If you spot a recipe that is too exploitable, or one for an item you think fits the "uncraftable" bill that we missed, be sure to post in this thread.

This Mod's objective is to provide an alternative way to obtain these items when RNG is not in your favor, and future plans is to include some native Mod Support, namely for Thorium and Calamity.

I love the idea but there is definitely one thing missing... "Available" section.
Done. Added in v1.1

v1.1.1 Changelog
- Added "Available" section. No subsections, though, so you may need the search bar to make it navigatable;
- Added a part recipe for some missing items (ie: Detonator)
- Fixed a bug with the Celebration being bought with Shop Parts.

Last edited:
Ooh, this seems really interesting and useful, especially when trying to get the souls in Fargo's mod. When you do Calamity support can you do the rare variants first because they are a pain in arse to get normally?

very nice, i eagerly await support for calamity. speaking of which, rare variants are very hard to get, so rare variant parts would be very useful, although i do have one minor complaint and thats about the color scheme of the menu.

OK, updated the mod to bring it up-to-par with the UI changes made to "Research" mod.

V1.2 Changelog
-fixed some recipes
- Multithreaded the UI, has tooltip search and clear text buttons

two weird things:
fishron wings aren't able to be exchanged for duke fishron parts
dev wings aren't available for swapping
Thanks for the report. Not only were wings missing, the categories for boss items were incomplete. This has been fixed in the new release.

V1.3 Changelog
- Fixed missing wings, both on DukeFishron as well as the Developer Wings;
- Fixed missing base categories for Boss drops (Ex: the Treasure Bag category was empty, Royal Gel didn't show on Accessories, etc)
- Added first Mod Support (although not an impressive one). All native ModLoader vanity sets (including wings) can now be obtained for 1 Developer Part.

Big Update:
You can now earn and spend parts from Thorium Items! Thorium Compatibility is here (up to version1.6.3.11)!
This update adds new parts for the Aquatic Depths biome and for each of the bosses, as well as recipes to all non-craftable items in the mod.
Also added compatibility with Calamity Mod Music's items (the music boxes). Calamity support is the next major milestone.

V 1.4 Changelog
-
Added Thorium and Calamity Mod Music support.

Please report any wierdness with the recipes here or on github.

Edit: minor addition! Accurate tooltip search!

V1.4.1 Changelog
- Added ability to search entire tooltip, including modded tooltips. This may slow down the tooltip search, as it is now much more complex.

Last edited:
I think depth scales should be IRREVERSIBLE in regards to Aquatic Depths because I could get them from sharks which don't require actually entering the biome

I just realised an easy way to sync crafting and swapping for the Research mod would be to make the Part Exchanger placeable be a crafting tile that adds all of the things you can purchase and all the refunds as recipes

That could also be helpful when searching using the recipe browser or using magic storage
though it should probably be an optional toggle in case huge recipes cause some lag for some people.

i agree with this ^, especially since the research mod has a toggle to insta-research anything you could craft with researched stuff, but it would be hard to implement because so many items cost multiple token types, and i dont think it's possible to actually make one recipe drop multiple items, but maybe a grab-bag system for those sorts of things could work

Well no, you would just have multiple recipies that take the same item as input but give other things, that's already possible

I just realised an easy way to sync crafting and swapping for the Research mod would be to make the Part Exchanger placeable be a crafting tile that adds all of the things you can purchase and all the refunds as recipes

That could also be helpful when searching using the recipe browser or using magic storage
though it should probably be an optional toggle in case huge recipes cause some lag for some people.
Unfortunately, it would not be that easy. This mod was inspired by IMKSushis' mod Tokens, that presented two problems: Inventory clutter due to the tokens, and recipes cluttering the crafting menu when crafting with lots of tokens nearby. The first problem was fixed by introducing the parts as items that, when collected, go to a separate, dedicated inventory. The second one was fixed by making Part Recipes not being included into the Recipe system of Terraria. These recipes are, in fact, completely different, as they only allow Part items to be used as input, and that only allow parts to be consumed from the separate inventory they are in (they never consume if the parts are in your inventory).
So doing as suggested would go against the core premise of the mod. However, I am working on a way to integrate with Research (see Research post)

Adding support to Recipe Browser would be something I would like to do, however I have no Idea where even to begin with that one.

On other note, I'm currently finishing a testing run with Calamity support, so the mod should be updated for that in the near future (as soon as the playtrough is done).

OK, this warrants a new post. Calamity support added! You can now get Calamity's items using their own parts, including:
- Boss parts for all summoneable bosses;
- Stage parts for post Providence, Post DoG and Post Yharon
- Biome parts for all Calamity biomes
- An event token for the Acid Rain.

But wait, that's not all. You may have noticed Research was also updated. That's because cross-compatibility between both mods have been added! This means, at the press of a config option, you will be able to either have Max Parts of any that you pick up and is researched, but also, in Research's config, be able to have all items from the researched parts in the research menu!
This also adds some mod calls (more to be added later) for this compatibility to be possible. For now, it only has GetPartList, that sends the list of parts that can be placed in the Part inventory, and a GetMaxPurchasesAvailable, that when receiving a list of Part ItemTags returns all items that can be purchased with those parts. Later will be adding new functions, such as manipulating the part inventory programmaticaly (with HowManyParts and AddPart).

So, here's a very summarized changelog:
V 1.5 Changelog
- Added Calamity support;
- Added Research from 1.4 compatibility;
- Added preliminary ModCall support;
- Fixed a bunch of bugs.

Edit: Fixed a bug that allowed research players to get all gated shop items earlier.

Last edited:
I'm only now just really discovering this mod, especially after someone suggested I add recipe support from this mod to my own mods. I take it the ModCall support would be the way to do this? Any examples of how I would go about this?

@JPAN some item obtainable before in the shop no longer show/able to buy
edit:all the stuff that was disappearing are all from throrium (example: demon blood drill, greaves, badge, and the climber's ice axe were there yesterday and now gone today)
edit 2:i just noticed that i was able to buy 2 of the magic gems and now not able to

Last edited:
I'm only now just really discovering this mod, especially after someone suggested I add recipe support from this mod to my own mods. I take it the ModCall support would be the way to do this? Any examples of how I would go about this?
I was on the way of adding support for adding your own Parts and PartRecipes when health and work got in the way and I had to stop Terraria modding. Now that I'm back, I will add the missing commands to make that available. For now, the only way to do so is import the mod DLL (dependancy in a sub-mod), and inherit "ItemPart" for new parts, and add "PartRecipes" to a "ModPartRepository" subclass for new recipes. Included in the ModPartRepository are some handy PartRecipe creators, such as "buildCommonShopRecipe" for recipes from your mod's shops, to the "SimpleBiome" and "SimpleBoss" recipe creators for recipes from boss categories.

What I would recommend is to wait for the ModCall release, but I don't know when it will be finished. When it does, it will include all information on those mod calls by ModCalling this mod with no arguments.
@JPAN some item obtainable before in the shop no longer show/able to buy
edit:all the stuff that was disappearing are all from throrium (example: demon blood drill, greaves, badge, and the climber's ice axe were there yesterday and now gone today)
edit 2:i just noticed that i was able to buy 2 of the magic gems and now not able to
Items disappearing from Thorium may be because Thorium is removing them from the code. The Part mod was built in a way that if items disappear, it will still work, instead of displaying a blank item box for the missing items.

Back
Top Bottom