Rate the Weapon: Day Four - Pre-Hardmode Yoyos

How often do you use pre-hardmode yoyos in your playthroughs?

• 1 - Never

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 2 - Rarely - The resources are too limited, or the time it's useful is too short.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 - Sometimes - If I have the resources to spare

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • 4 - Often - It makes progression easier, but skippable

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 5 - Most Games - It's great to have, but not worth ten hours to get.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • 6 - Always - I will build a farm for this if I have to. I'm not progressing without it.

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

Ami

Terrarian
Inspired by another topic, it occurs to me that many of us think weapons are bad or unusable, simply because we know what we like. But, do we know what we DON'T like? What's a worthy investment of your time and resources? In the case of polls which have multiple items bunched together, such as the ore swords, pick only the best one. If you love silver sword, but think iron sword is a waste of the bars, vote as if this were a poll for silver sword. I'll be logging these in a spreadsheet and making a compilation of which items users think are good, bad, OP, or a waste of space.
If they're bad, what would make them better? Lower cost? Autoswing? Projectiles? Different attack animation?
If they're OP, what would make them balanced?

Day Four: Wooden Yoyo, Rally, Malaise, Artery, Amazon, Code 1, Valor, Cascade

I just didn't like the concept of yoyos at all. As such, I never used them after playing with them briefly.

Day 1 - Ore Swords - 2.4
Day 2 - Ore Bows - 3.35
Day 3 - Grenades - 3.58

I just don't like yoyos. They're just a bit silly for my taste. I know there's plenty of silly in the game already, I usually don't mind but yoyos as deadly weapons is a bridge too far I guess. Maybe if they'd already been in the game when I started playing I'd feel differently. But as it is I usually sell them imediately.

Yoyos are actually a very good option in Normal Mode. The damage may not be great, but the ability to hit around corners, through one block holes, to track and hone on enemies, and hit multiple times in one swing, make them very versatile. It's like a melee version of the magic missile, that doesn't fizzle i it hits a wall. They are't the fastest or the strongest, but they are the most tactical. You'll never get away with swinging a yoyo wildly in the general direction of enemy swarms, which is why I assume many combat oriented players these days dislike them, as that's conventional.

3. Sometimes.

It honestly just depends if I get one as a drop, feel like crafting one, or one comes up in a shop to buy.

6. Always, but I'm not building a farm for one. :)

Yoyos are ridiculously OP in the early game. I got one as a lucky drop in Expert mode and it made things a joke. You can attack enemies at range, from behind a cliff or even from within a little box where they can't touch you. All the power of melee without any requirement of line of sight or mana.

6. Always.

Amazon is my first goal, well okay second goal. First goal is to get a weapon good enough to kill Bees and Maneaters. Once I have that, off to the Jungle I go!

After the Amazon, I don't really mess around with any other Easymode Yo-Yos much, unless I get lucky with a Cascade drop, but I won't actually hold up progress to farm it (because once I kill the WoF, the Amarok is a stone's throw away).

But dude, if you get an Amazon very early in Easymode, the rest of Easymode is....well, easy. Though once I get a Fiery Greatsword/Night's Edge, I will probably use that more and keep the Amazon on me for around-the-terrain kills and the like.

5 - most games.

I tend to use the Amazon/Cascade or the Corrupt/Crimson yoyos in pre-Hardmode. I also like the Hel-Fire, Amarok and especially the Terrarian. They seem to be a little OP, but they're very useful in melee-only games.

Yoyos are fun. I mean, they make short work of most enemies, with the rapid-hitting nature of them as they bounce off the enemy to hit them again. They're really, really powerful against single targets, but in groups they tend to break down. I used them once for a short while, but then got bored of the gimmick and moved back to swords and spears. Overall, gets a 3 - I'll use them now and then but never go out of my way to use them.

Back
Top Bottom