Game Mechanics Re-enable various enviromental hazards and add new ones; as well as active threats to your base.

Why should we, who wish our building choices and layouts to actually matter, be punished by those on the end of the spectrum who don't want to opt for cool gameplay mechanics?
Why should the builders, who took time and effort to creates pieces of art, be punished by those on the end of the spectrum who wants to punish people for "cool mechanics"?

Seems most of you would rather only the building aspect instead of any combat, making this little more than a minecraft clone. Simpletons!
Fine.

Why should the adventurers, who wants to hunt down a giant plant in the jungle or destroy a floating skull with hands, be punished because of a stupid mechanic? We want to explore. We want to fight. We want to hunt floating eyeballs or some nutjobs hanging out at the dungeon.

What we DON'T want, is to constantly worrying about clowns or some stupid mechanic that destroy their stacked boxes, corrupt their bases or spending hours at upgrading the houses for no apparent :red:ing reason. You know why?

Because it distracts us from the combat aspects of the game! How in the flying :red:s do you think that making the player having to constantly manage their base will help people focus on the combat?

I spend minimal time building, because I'm an absolute :red: at building anything besides boxes. And I don't want to upgrade / repair those boxes every time something happens, thank you. I'm playing Terraria, not Supercell games.

So in other words you want the game to play itself and have no risks.
Without the destruction, invasions and the like are mostly just annoyance.
I'd like more entertainment, not grinding.
:cool:

no support, for 4 reasons:
-going to a desert will be harmful, like the Pre-1.1 deserts
-clowns will be more dangerous, like in Pre-1.2, to destroy a house NOT made of dungeon bricks (explosion resistant bricks) or similar tiles
-Fire and Lightning (which appeared before you suggested it in a mod) will make building VERY frustrating
-Terraria will be more dangerous for newbies

Last edited:
I don't want to see my house - hours of building - burning and disappearing from my game. If you like it, just install overhaul.

:cool:
But they're even more of an annoyance with destruction. A good example of what you want that is currently in the game is how during the Goblin Army, certain enemies destroy doors instead of just opening them. Never once when this happened did I say "hardcore gaming right here"; I usually just got annoyed at the game. As far as the no risks part, that's not at all what he's saying. He's saying that he doesn't want to be distracted by his house burning down for no reason while he's out exploring. While you may like it, for most people it's just more to worry about. If you want that sort of experience I would recommend either the Overhaul Mod for Terraria or a similar game called Dig or Die.

Just found out about this one.
And I can say easily:No.
Not everyone likes to waste their time on "extreme gameplay" that consist of getting your houses burnt down to ashes & getting damage for no reason.
If you like such things, good for you. There are mods that expand that. But vanilla doesn't need any of it.
No support.
EDIT:Having no control over something up to certaint point(getting dungeon bricks to prevent crap from getting destroyed) isn't "risk" or "fun". Its just unfair towards lesser skilled players who can't get to that point in time.
Unless its toggleable & set to false by default, it has absolutly no place in Terraria imo.

Last edited:

You say you'd like less grinding.

A house most certainly takes time to build, especially one safe from environmental hazards. Having your house blown up by a clown only increases grind.

someone wasn't here since 1.0 it seems
I played since first official public release(as far as I remember, the build that was released was 1.0.3) and I remember everything that was changed since then, from doors getting new texture to Molten Armor not emiting light when moving & removing of golden armor in its recipe. Cactus damaging you isn't "extreme" or "fun" gameplay. Its annoying & unfun.

someone wasn't here since 1.0 it seems
1.05 brought cactus, which used to be harmful for unprepared people (unless you have shadow+ armour), 1.1 introduced the Clown Enemy, which was to be a dangerously powerful threat destroying anything that is not a Dungeon Brick or Hardmode Ores with overpowered bombs, so the cactus's harmfulness is not existent in the first 1.0 version, and the explosions caused by clowns are gone in 1.2

The idea of creating base hazards is a good one. The problem is that is changes the whole nature of the game. I would give if a try if it was for example: Terraria - Survive. A stand alone survival version of terraria where you eat, drink, constantly rebuild your base & protect it from mobs and the elements. This would be another game seperate than terraria. Under no circumstance i would change The original Terraria.

I can agree that adding all of this would enhance the gameplay, but in a manner that most people would like. A toggleable option with default set to off surely could be done, but not by default on. Four reasons behind all this:
1. My girlfriend rarely spends time on arranging her inventory. Thank God for allowing to put items into chests that contain those items, which means a few clicks to sort things into multiple chests. I DO THESE things instead of her if we gather new items. I DO building of houses and mostly the arenas (she likes building arenas). She is just that type of player, focusing on some aspects and not necessarily liking the other.
2. I once decided to create an art piece in game for some contest. As i am not a big builder, nor patient to doing such things, i still decided to participate and spend a few hours doing something i thought was great. I sincerely was pissed whenever i had to kill enemies flying and walking around, not to mention gathering what they dropped to not obscure the view and constantly shift my attention from building. If i had to remake things over and over again because of some game mechanics, i would leave it as is and not come back to it.
3. I started once on Terraria Overhaul and i agree that it's a great mod. ALL of its aspects are wonderful, even the lightning storms, the fires and floods. Still, i turned off the fires because the game doesn't support much in the sense of putting light on the walls instead of torches. Better materials or lamps? First spend a lot of time searching for materials to make all of those though... Additionaly, TO has the options to turn some of the enhancements off, just like activating special modes in game for the sake of higher difficulty (like Expert Mode). It is your choice in doing so.
4. At one point i started playing 7 Days to Die and enjoyed the hell out of it. I still like the game, but the prospect of going back into a grind of: gather some materials or do something in your free time -> defend against zombies -> rebuild and do repairs after zombie invasions/attacks. I even played a few different mods for this game, but it all comes back to rebuilding after every zombie attack. I think i've grown out of doing the same things over and over again and prefer some substance to the gameplay. Some people like it, some don't.

Terrible idea. At least if its not a option. Even in Minecraft Creepers usually don't blow up your bases regularly. And lightning is rare. In a 2d game this stuff would be x5 times annoying. We shouldn't have to sacrifice the look of builds to take pre cautions of them burning down. What if I want to build a nice wooden village? I don't wanna have to make a literal bunker for every structure I make if I don't wanna have it destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom