Re-Logic Announces Terraria: Journey's End at E3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has 2gb of ram, and a good processor, i can almost guarantee that its supported.
[doublepost=1560726534,1560726212][/doublepost]Right when i beat moonlord on console, im building a portal map (companion cube activates teal pressure plate :)) with the cube, and portal gun.
That’s good. I want to play it in on the go so I’m not bored:)
I can’t wait to play with the portal gun!

I can't believe I'm this excited about golf of any sort. And yet, I've seen the future where we have maps dedicated to insanely zany and elaborate golf maps, and it's a beautiful future.

I mean, everything else looks super cool, but I can't get golf out of my head now.

I can't believe I'm this excited about golf of any sort. And yet, I've seen the future where we have maps dedicated to insanely zany and elaborate golf maps, and it's a beautiful future.

I mean, everything else looks super cool, but I can't get golf out of my head now.
I just hope that golf can deal damage based on speed or something. Golf only playthrough? Elaborate contraptions that put golfballs up to such insane speeds that they can 1shot the Dungeon Guardian? Event-themed minigolf that can actually beat said event? GOLF.

One of my favorite parts of games is when they add quality mini-games within it, especially for a game like Terraria. Vastly increases what you can do in the game.

While I sure won't call a free update and more content a bad thing, I'm still not feeling a ton of hype either. What I personally want most is drastically reduced inventory management hassle and higher resolution visuals across the board. Since the second thing is well beyond what is to be reasonably expected of an update to an existing game, that just leaves the inventory management improvements, which thus far seem modest at best. I've still got my fingers crossed that bigger stack sizes and many more inventory slots for players and chests are among the additions yet to be revealed, (and with yet more items being added to the game, will be needed more than ever,) but I expect that's a slim chance at best, so... Well, I'm still looking forward to a true sequel the most. That still seems like the most likely prospect for the changes I truly want.

While I sure won't call a free update and more content a bad thing, I'm still not feeling a ton of hype either. What I personally want most is drastically reduced inventory management hassle and higher resolution visuals across the board. Since the second thing is well beyond what is to be reasonably expected of an update to an existing game, that just leaves the inventory management improvements, which thus far seem modest at best. I've still got my fingers crossed that bigger stack sizes and many more inventory slots for players and chests are among the additions yet to be revealed, (and with yet more items being added to the game, will be needed more than ever,) but I expect that's a slim chance at best, so... Well, I'm still looking forward to a true sequel the most. That still seems like the most likely prospect for the changes I truly want.
Well, larger stack amounts have been shown off. The new Void Vault item will be useful with item management, too. I wouldn't be suprised to see more inventory managment features later on.

higher resolution visuals across the board. Since the second thing is well beyond what is to be reasonably expected of an update to an existing game,

That's not the reason why "higher resolution visuals" aren't going to happen. The game looks the way it does because that's how the developers want it to look. It's an explicit throwback to SNES-era visuals, just done on a much larger scale.

Asking for "higher resolution visuals" out of Terraria is like asking for Schindler's List to be in color. It is the way it is because it's supposed to be that way.

that just leaves the inventory management improvements, which thus far seem modest at best. I've still got my fingers crossed that bigger stack sizes and many more inventory slots for players and chests are among the additions yet to be revealed, (and with yet more items being added to the game, will be needed more than ever,)

Exactly how much inventory management do people want? I've heard lots of people complaining about inventory on this board, but no improvement ever seems enough.

Ever since chests (and personal storage items) were upgraded to hold 40 items instead of 20, I would say that chest size is about as big as it needs to be. The only chests I have that ever overflow with stuff are chests containing ultra-common materials like dirt or stone. And yes, multiple playthroughs do tend to give me a lot of copies of armor and stuff, but... you can sell the craftible stuff off. After all, it's not like you can't craft another one if you want to try it out. And having a button to dump all the stuff in your inventory into nearby chests that have the same item is a Godsend for management of most stuff.

Oh sure, it'd be nice to have larger stacks of some items, particularly potions. And the torch limit of 99 is ridiculous, considering that its components of wood and gel both come in stacks of 999 these days. But overall, I'd say that even 1.3.5 is in a pretty good place.

The only time inventory gets annoying for me these days is doing dungeon/jungle dives, when you fill up your storage space half-way (or less) through and have to go dump stuff off before you can explore deeper. But that's a relatively minor pain point. Overall, regularly having to go back to base to dump things off is generally a useful part of the game. It encourages you not to carry around lots of stuff, organize your chests back at home, and such.

Do people just want infinite personal storage space?

Last edited:
I wish there was infinite storage. But terraria lost its chance at that since it has such a basic inventory management system that no matter how many spaces you add, it always becomes cluttered. The void bag doesnt change anything since your doubling the inventory space you have to manage. From what ive seen
:nymph::zombie::zombie::zombie:

I wish there was infinite storage. But terraria lost its chance at that since it has such a basic inventory management system that no matter how many spaces you add, it always becomes cluttered. The void bag doesnt change anything since your doubling the inventory space you have to manage. From what ive seen
:nymph::zombie::zombie::zombie:
And that is propably why you should sell everything that you don't need like spair pairs of accessories, weapons, ...
I ussually use about 10 chests.

To me, building a home base is a fundamental aspect of the game. The way the game is structured, the need to have a place to put your stuff comes at around the same time when you can start to benefit from building houses for your NPCs. As such, you tend to build both at the same place and time. And the rest of the game tends to expect you to have such a place.

If you have infinite personal storage space, along with a good inventory system to manage carrying around so much stuff... then why bother having a home base? If you need to craft something, then just drop your crafting stations and craft it. If you need to quit the game, then just throw down a quick respawn point (bed+building+walls) wherever you are, so you can pick up from there.

Infinite storage space would completely change the character of the game. The current game centers around making sorties out into the world and bringing stuff back to your home. As you get better, your sorties can go for longer, but you're always going to come home in the end.

The game you're talking about has only the world; it has no personal home for yourself. Or at least, there is no gameplay incentive to build a personal home for yourself. There's no reason to frequently go back to a particular place. You're just always moving forward, always mining further, always this and that.

In the current game, when you die, you go back to spawn. As such, most players build their home base either around the world spawn or somewhere near it (because new players don't know how beds work). So if they get killed halfway through a long sortie... well, yes they died and have to go pick up their money. But hey, they can dump off some stuff, and maybe craft some gear so long as they're here. It's a consolation prize. In your hypothetical game, there's never a consolation prize for dying; you just lose progress.

Also, consider how this changes the game's design. Look at the transition from Gold Tier to Demonite Tier. This transition happens, essentially, on the surface. After getting Gold Tier stuff, you're "supposed" to go kill the Eye of Chthulu. But that's best fought in an open area, not underground. IE: the surface.

In the current game, this is fine, since you're always returning to the surface to drop stuff off. But in your hypothetical version, this is a weird transition. The surface is that annoying place you go when you die or need to deal with NPCs or harvest wood. You never really spend much time there. So if the EoC spawns, why would you consider fighting it on the surface?

And speaking of NPCs, because the character of the game you're describing is one where you're always pushing forward, always going farther, with no central home base, NPCs become an odd annoyance. If you need to buy or sell stuff, or use special NPC functions, you have to slog all the way back to spawn, then recall back to where you were. In the current game, you're always doing that, so it doesn't feel as off-putting. Indeed, if you have NPC needs, you'll usually wait until you're full up on inventory before recalling back to spawn.

Indeed, given that you're not frequently coming near where the Guide is, it may be that a lot of people don't even realize what his purpose is or follow his advice. They may not even build houses for NPCs, so they would be missing out on a whole dimension of play.

This wouldn't be a better version of Terraria; it would be a game with a fundamentally different feel to it. A game that would need a substantially different design to work.

To me, building a home base is a fundamental aspect of the game.

Your first sentence explains why the rest of your message is misguided.

To you, building a centralized base is important. To you, that specific method of gameplay and advancement is the most enjoyable or "correct." But that's not true for everyone. Even a cursory browse of these forums will demonstrate the varied approach users take with this game. Some prefer collecting, some building extravagant towns, some adventuring, some exploring, some becoming master baiters, and so forth. Terraria at its core is a sandbox game and it can be experienced in any way users want. Evidence for this include the varied avenues of advancement available to players. If progression of the adventure is your goal, you're not limited to any one method. With fishing, you can skip directly into Molten Armor by fishing up a Reaver Shark. Or, you can use explosives to skip directly to Hardmode. These are two of the more radical alternate choices, but many others exist. You're not locked into any one progression method. There is no "correct" way of playing Terraria.

Some would prefer to not fuss with inventory as much. Some would rather explore for longer periods of time. These play styles are just as valid.

And that is propably why you should sell everything that you don't need like spair pairs of accessories, weapons, ...
I ussually use about 10 chests.
Yea most if not everyone does that since there is no easier option than more or less chests to sort and sell from. I mean complaining to change how space is managed in terraria will always be a thing. So what can you do but deal with it :pumpking:

Your first sentence explains why the rest of your message is misguided.

To you, building a centralized base is important. To you, that specific method of gameplay and advancement is the most enjoyable or "correct."

But that's not what I said. Indeed, I never even claimed it was particularly "enjoyable", let alone correct.

My point is that the game is designed around it. Significant aspects of the game are built under the assumption that you will have frequent trips back to base. That's not about what's important to me; that's about what's important to the game.

Terraria is not a magical "do anything" box. There are limits as to what you can do, and the game is designed to condition certain behaviors into players, rewarding some behaviors and punishing others. You cannot enter Hardmode without killing the Wall of Flesh. You cannot fight Plantera without first killing the three Mechanical bosses. You cannot fight the Moon Lord without first defeating the four pillars. And so forth.

And you cannot collect more stuff than your inventory will hold without having a place to dump the excess off. And the game is designed with the expectation that you will have such a place.

Removing that limitation is akin to removing the mana cost of magical weapons: it's conceptually simple, but so much of the balancing and design of the game is built on assuming that magical weapons cost mana that if you did so, you're now talking about a completely unbalanced play experience.

And hey, maybe that would be a more fun play experience. But it's not the same experience as Terraria's play experience.

Even a cursory browse of these forums will demonstrate the varied approach users take with this game.

There's something important to remember:

Terraria still has to work for people who've never played it before.

That's something that people who've played this game for years often forget: what it's like to start fresh with absolutely no idea what's going on. What it's like to try to learn the game without going to the Wiki or without using other outside knowledge.

These are the people who, with infinite inventory, are going to spend all their time underground, and then have no idea how to progress. These are the people who will forget that the Guide exists and not learn important tasks like building houses and such. These are the people that I was specifically talking about.

Terraria is different from and superior to Minecraft because it has a clear progression system and it is designed to try to push you along that system. And part of that process involves going back to the surface regularly.

Take that away, and the experience becomes something quite different.

Last edited:
But that's not what I said. Indeed, I never even claimed it was particularly "enjoyable", let alone correct.

My point is that the game is designed around it. Significant aspects of the game are built under the assumption that you will have frequent trips back to base. That's not about what's important to me; that's about what's important to the game.

(...)

Terraria is different from and superior to Minecraft because it has a clear progression system and it is designed to try to push you along that system. And part of that process involves going back to the surface regularly.

This is an assertion you keep making but have no evidence for. The game absolutely is not designed around a base or singular location of any kind. You can just as easily progress without making a "base" (there are a variety of ways of accessing NPCs). You can progress without even using chests entirely, only keeping items which you want to use at the current moment. People CHOOSE to hoard large amounts of items and people CHOOSE to place all NPCs in one location as that is their chosen style of play. This sort of play is neither strictly enforced nor required.

That's something that people who've played this game for years often forget: what it's like to start fresh with absolutely no idea what's going on. What it's like to try to learn the game without going to the Wiki or without using other outside knowledge.

These are the people who, with infinite inventory, are going to spend all their time underground, and then have no idea how to progress. These are the people who will forget that the Guide exists and not learn important tasks like building houses and such. These are the people that I was specifically talking about.

Again, the one type of play style you assert the game is "designed around" is not required nor is it enforced anywhere in the progression system of the game. So, too, are people's definition of "progression" different as individuals have different goals in Terraria... it is a sandbox after all. A new player can choose to play the game literally any way they want... which, again, is evidenced by just looking around this forum and see how people describe their experience.

Expanded or "infinite" inventory won't negatively impact the game in any way, shape, or form. All that will do is ease inventory management for the folks that want to spend more time doing literally anything else. Those that enjoy mucking about in a base or otherwise playing around with their collection are still perfectly free to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom