RE:Making Endgame Swords Pure Melee

This is the exact reason why melee either needs ridiculous reach (Solar Flare Eruption, which remains one of the better weapons) or projectiles (every other "viable" "melee" weapon).

And this late in the game's development, a combat rework is simply not happening, period. Not to be mean or anything, but ya.

Now, maybe if this problem was foreseen and tackled earlier in development, we could have done something about it. Maybe Starbound-style shields (tho I doubt those would work either, not with how much movement there is in this game compared to that one), or more/better damage reduction buffs, or a rework to how Defense works.

I've always been of the opinion that games that do a hybrid Damage Reduction (reducing damage by X amount) and Damage Absorption (you take % less damage) is usually the best way to do it.

Usually, it's "Both, whichever is better" as DR is better at early-game (where DA barely functions at all) and late-game, DA is going to help far more.

You could even use it as a class bonus, too. Such as mages only get DR, and only melee get DA. We kinda have that with some armors such as Beetle and Solar Flare Armor, but it doesn't really go far enough as you take way more hits than the speed of the armors can recharge in normal boss combat.

Also, a bigger health scale could have worked better here, too -- adding 100 health won't change anything as I listed earlier, however, increasing maximum HP to 1,000 or even 5,000 and re-working the damage scales appropriately would have given more wiggle-room to play with the numbers. Dying in 20 hits with best defense instead of dying in 5 hits with no defense would feel a lot better than having the best armor in the game only let you take an extra 2-3 hits.

But all of this is a moot point -- too late to do much now.

You completely missed the point.

Yes, you have higher defense, but you are also put at much higher risk with little to no payoff for such risk. As a melee, your armor has less +damage modifiers (in exchange for higher defense), so you tend to do slightly less damage than those using ranged or magic.

Unlike ranged or magic, you are put at more risk by being so close to the bosses, which means you will take more damage (you will get hit more often, with more devastating attacks). This is mitigated (somewhat...) by higher defense, but again...

If you're doing less damage, and your higher defense is negated by taking more damage... where's the payoff? If you're a ranged or a magic user, you have less defense, but you do more damage which is the payoff.

More risk should equal more reward, but it doesn't.

Projectiles were given to melee weapons because pure melee doesn't work on bosses. I mean, try it yourself, get a Keybrand and go fight the mechs, or Plantera. It's not very fun, is it? Of course not. The bosses move about as fast as you can, and the damage you take is rather ludicrous.
Yea, thats my point to the terraria devs, melee should do highest damage out of all classes, but shouldnt have range, defense is a lie anyway. What i dislike about them making terra blade true melee is the terra beams are too iconic to remove them. It was like if they removed the EoC and replaced him with Hand of Cthulhu

Ugh. They're messing with the Terra Blade too? I mean, the True Excal and the True Night's Edge is meh whatever, but the TB?

The TB is a rather important part of a melee's progression path and I don't like the idea of them messing with it.

Back
Top Bottom